• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Any of you fellas seen the film 'Mandy' with Nicholas Cage?

Tried watching it last night - but i'll be damned if I can understand what it was all about.

Saw it. Did not care for it. I actually cannot remember whether I stopped the movie or stopped paying attention. About the only thing I can recall is the colors. To be honest I do not like Nicholas Cage, so that severely limited my toleration for putting up with confusion. I often like weird films like this but I could not get into it.

Dirty Harry (1971) - In order to get into the proper holiday spirit I think I'll rewatch all the Dirty Harry movies, this original one is not my fave. I thought the villain was too cartoonish, and the fact that they couldn't charge him with anything and just had to let him go didn't make sense at all. (I think at the very least they could have charged him with having assaulted a cop.)

I'll have to rewatch Magnum Force now because Harry had thrown his badge away at the end of the original movie, I don't remember how he got back into the game for the sequels or if it's even mentioned. So... as far as sequels go I think the one with Tyne Daly is my fave, I just can't remember, so must rewatch.
I liked the original the most, thought the first three were good then the quality dropped off like it does with most sequels. Tyne Daly was good in The Enforcer.

I haven't seen Loev, haven't actually even heard of it. But seeing as we seem to share an interest in homosexual stories I'm wondering what your faves are?

On my part my most recent fave is God's Own Country (2017), I thought it was very well done. It wasn't just some vapid, gay rom-com. My all time fave is The Boys in the Band (1970), it's obviously very dated, but it depicts the self-hatred that unfortunately some gay men still harbor even nowadays. And then there's Love! Valor! Compassion! (1997), it's both fun as well as sad. And then there's a whole bunch of movies that deal with the AIDS crisis of the 80s and 90s, Longtime Companion (1989) is just one of them.
I watched Loev after it was suggested here. I enjoyed the story, I also enjoyed lots of the films simplicity. As I watched I thought of friends in my life that used a similar style of pranks and playfulness to show affection, when things like holding hands, embracing or kissing were a step too far for the people involved. That in my mind includes just plain cultural norms..
YouTube has a pretty big blob of 2020 and 2021 movie trailers..some look very good..and seeing Bob..go from Better Call Saul into a Michael Douglas,Falling Down looking butt kicker is on my list

Ok..plane crashes in a small town..guy speaks Spanish..so does a nerd kid in the town..sooner or later it's discovered he's a criminal..
Don't know the name..
also another English or Irish movie..kid finds money or lotto ticket on train tracks..
And a couple you can't go wrong with..
Danny Deckchair. and Muriell's Wedding..

Joe Kidd (1972) Clint Eastwood does what he does, he squints, he shoots and the bad guys keep dropping. Moderately entertaining western you can watch with one eye open or even squint but nowhere near the class of his best westerns, with a cast of rogues and some good character actors.
That really does describe Eastwood's acting perfectly, I still have to muster up the courage to watch the Dirty Harry sequels, I have to be prepared for all that masculine squinting, shooting, snarling, and even a little growling.

I think he's a pretty good director though, I enjoyed Unforgiven , The Bridges of Madison County , The Eiger Sanction , Mystic River , Million Dollar Baby , Flags of Our Fathers , Letters from Iwo Jima , and some others. Dang, I didn't realize he had directed so many good movies till I looked up his filmography!

Last edited:
That really does describe Eastwood's acting perfectly, I still have to muster up the courage to watch the Dirty Harry sequels, I have to be prepared for all that masculine squinting, shooting, snarling, and even a little growling.

I think he's a pretty good director though, I enjoyed Unforgiven , The Bridges of Madison County , The Eiger Sanction , Mystic River , Million Dollar Baby , Flags of Our Fathers , Letters from Iwo Jima , and some others. Dang, I didn't realize he had directed so many good movies till I looked up his filmography!
To their credit the Dirty Harry movies never got as ridiculous as the Death Wish series. That is sort of funny because the first Death Wish, maybe the second too, was much more grounded in reality than Dirty Harry.

It is interesting that both of those original movies came out of America's frustration with rising crime and ineffectual punishment. Maybe it was not isolated to America. There are similar motifs in international movies like Mad Max. Also interesting there is a current and similar trend in the UK with movies like Harry Brown.

I am rather fond of The Eiger Sanction. It is dated as heck but that is one of the things that make it a great watch. It is sort of like watching something like Superfly from the same era.

Reactions: movingtarget
To their credit the Dirty Harry movies never got as ridiculous as the Death Wish series. That is sort of funny because the first Death Wish, maybe the second too, was much more grounded in reality than Dirty Harry.

It is interesting that both of those original movies came out of America's frustration with rising crime and ineffectual punishment. Maybe it was not isolated to America. There are similar motifs in international movies like Mad Max. Also interesting there is a current and similar trend in the UK with movies like Harry Brown.

I am rather fond of The Eiger Sanction. It is dated as heck but that is one of the things that make it a great watch. It is sort of like watching something like Superfly from the same era.
I'll have to put Super Fly (the one from 1972, not the inevitable remake from 2018) on my watchlist, it sounds like it would be fun. And the Eiger Sanction I liked mainly for the scenery, as I recall the plot was rather stupid.

Not at all. There is nothing wrong with his directing most of the time even when some of the scripts are a bit so so.. He has also been composing more music for the films as well. One of his sons is a well known jazz musician.

The first Death Wish movie still stands up pretty well but the series quickly took a nose dive after the second one. Straw Dogs was another revenge type movie from the 70s that was very controversial. One of Dustin Hoffman's lesser known efforts and directed by Sam Peckinpah who never shied away from on screen violence.

Not at all. There is nothing wrong with his directing most of the time even when some of the scripts are a bit so so.. He has also been composing more music for the films as well. One of his sons is a well known jazz musician.
Yes, I just watched Play Misty For Me (Eastwood's directorial debut) and he does seem to have an affinity for music. Nothing wrong with that of course, I thought one of the best scenes in the movie was the one of the Monterey Jazz Festival, which other viewers thought didn't even belong. The other great shots were of the California coast, they were just gorgeous! But otherwise the movie was so bad it was good, Eastwood playing a sexy, jazz-playing radio DJ just didn't work for me. It was all that squinting and snarling, it was as if he was preparing for his role as Dirty Harry. (And that completely flat arse of his should have stayed in his pants, it was a very disappointing and disheartening sight!)

Anyhoo, Play Misty For Me was just awful, it was obvious this was Eastwood's first go at directing, and there was apparently no one there to show him the ropes or to rein him in. Thankfully as time went by he had greatly improved as a director.

Yes, I just watched Play Misty For Me (Eastwood's directorial debut) and he does seem to have an affinity for music. Nothing wrong with that of course, I thought one of the best scenes in the movie was the one of the Monterey Jazz Festival, which other viewers thought didn't even belong. The other great shots were of the California coast, they were just gorgeous! But otherwise the movie was so bad it was good, Eastwood playing a sexy, jazz-playing radio DJ just didn't work for me. It was all that squinting and snarling, it was as if he was preparing for his role as Dirty Harry. (And that completely flat arse of his should have stayed in his pants, it was a very disappointing and disheartening sight!)

Anyhoo, Play Misty For Me was just awful, it was obvious this was Eastwood's first go at directing, and there was apparently no one there to show him the ropes or to rein him in. Thankfully as time went by he had greatly improved as a director.
Yes one of his misfires but the scenery was great.

Hereafter (2010) an unusual Clint Eastwood film. After a stunning opening scene, the film meandered a little but the performances were generally good especially Matt Damon. Eventually the various story lines merged. With a better script it could have been a very good film instead of just an interesting one. Eastwood also provided the spare music score.

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Saw it. Did not care for it. I actually cannot remember whether I stopped the movie or stopped paying attention. About the only thing I can recall is the colors. To be honest I do not like Nicholas Cage, so that severely limited my toleration for putting up with confusion. I often like weird films like this but I could not get into it.

Yeah - now you say it, the colours are memorable.
The only thing that's memorable from this film.

:)

Rewatched Marley and Me (2008) - most of the movie is pretty cheesy and meant for kids. But the last 10 minutes had me bawling my eyes out... I remembered all the dogs I had either owned or had taken care of as a dog sitter in the past, the pooches had brought so much joy, and sometimes even a bit of frustration, into my life. I'm sure most dog owners can relate.

Has anyone seen the sequel Marley and Me: The Puppy Years? I haven't seen it, I have a feeling it would be incredibly corny and wouldn't add much to the story. So for now I'm skipping it.

TRENDING THREADS