• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Rewatched The Firm (1993) - not Tom Cruise's biggest fan, I think he's the typical Hollywood star who has passable looks but his acting leaves me unconvinced. Otherwise the movie was a little too dragged out with some unnecessary scenes, but at least Holly Hunter's and Gary Busey's very smalls roles saved the day. The Firm is entertaining enough, but it's definitely not my favorite legal thriller.

Reactions: jmdirt
Rewatched Road to Perdition (2002) - For such an expert henchman Tom Hanks' character sure had made some boneheaded decisions, but that's probably why he was only a henchman and not the mob boss himself. That part fell to Paul Newman, this was Newman's last role and I thought he did a great job. Other big names in this movie were Stanley Tucci, Jude Law, Daniel Craig, and Ciarán Hinds, all in all I thought this was a pretty decent (if cartoony) crime drama. For a coming of age movie of Hanks' character's son I wouldn't recommend it for kids though, just because it's pretty violent.

Fun trivia - I was about to be critical of Newman's Irish accent, but then I did some reading up and it turns out he was intentionally teaching himself by listening to tapes of an Irishman who had lived in the States for quite a while, so most of the Irishman's accent had been gone. So that's why Newman's accent was so choppy, kudos to him for at least trying to learn.

Last edited:
Rewatched Road to Perdition (2002) - For such an expert henchman Tom Hanks' character sure had made some boneheaded decisions, but that's probably why he was only a henchman and not the mob boss himself. That part fell to Paul Newman, this was Newman's last role and I thought he did a great job. Other big names in this movie were Stanley Tucci, Jude Law, Daniel Craig, and Ciarán Hinds, all in all I thought this was a pretty decent (if cartoony) crime drama. For a coming of age movie of Hanks' character's son I wouldn't recommend it for kids though, just because it's pretty violent.

Fun trivia - I was about to be critical of Newman's Irish accent, but then I did some reading up and it turns out he was intentionally teaching himself by listening to tapes of an Irishman who had lived in the States for quite a while, so most of the Irishman's accent had been gone. So that's why Newman's accent was so choppy, kudos to him for at least trying to learn.
That is a pretty good movie. Not great but pretty good. The ending gunfight is visually interesting. I cannot say I could buy into Hanks as a master assassin. As an actor he does not have a hard edge. In fact I cannot recall any role of his where he comes across as anything other than the friendly next door neighbor.

Because of the period and material it reminds me of Miller's Crossing, which is a great film.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
That is a pretty good movie. Not great but pretty good. The ending gunfight is visually interesting. I cannot say I could buy into Hanks as a master assassin. As an actor he does not have a hard edge. In fact I cannot recall any role of his where he comes across as anything other than the friendly next door neighbor.

Because of the period and material it reminds me of Miller's Crossing, which is a great film.
Both pretty good movies but I think I preferred the Newman movie.

Agreed on Tom Hanks, even when he plays the bad guy he still manages to be the good guy. (Such as in Road to Perdition.) movingtarget and I had discussed him a bit earlier - don't know if mt has seen Hanks' latest movies, I haven't seen them. So don't know if his range has expanded any.

I haven't seen Miller's Crossing, I'll have to put it on my mob movie night watchlist. It sounds promising, I love John Turturro.

Miller's Crossing (1990) - I thought it was very entertaining and more of a parody of mob movies, I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. There were scenes that just had me laughing, like the one where Albert Finney's character jumped out of his burning house and started shooting with what seemed like an infinite number of rounds of ammo in his tommy gun. Or the scene where Jon Polito's character smacked his own son and had said you need to be tough with kids, or that same character who had opened the movie with a speech about ethics. The movie is perhaps a tad long, but just when you think things are dragging another amusing scene comes up, so the movie never gets boring.

All in all I liked Miller's Crossing, thanks to BroDeal for mentioning it upthread.

Miller's Crossing (1990) - I thought it was very entertaining and more of a parody of mob movies, I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. There were scenes that just had me laughing, like the one where Albert Finney's character jumped out of his burning house and started shooting with what seemed like an infinite number of rounds of ammo in his tommy gun. Or the scene where Jon Polito's character smacked his own son and had said you need to be tough with kids, or that same character who had opened the movie with a speech about ethics. The movie is perhaps a tad long, but just when you think things are dragging another amusing scene comes up, so the movie never gets boring.

All in all I liked Miller's Crossing, thanks to BroDeal for mentioning it upthread.
Typical Coen bros sense of humor ! Their dramas always have humor in them, usually pretty black humor. I thought Polito and Gabriel Byrne were very good.

Series not a movie but...
The Queen's Gambit. Not too bad.
I enjoyed it,the last scene with a bunch of old folks praising her..excellent.
I watched the Bee Gees documentary..all I can say is wow..and the things about the dynamics between brothers,in every way awesome..
also watched a movie that caught me way,way off guard..Lazy Susan..I could not figure out what I was watching,but some decent laughs throughout

Breach (2007) - Loosely based on the true story of an American double agent who had spied for the Russians for about a quarter of a century, I don't even remember having heard about this back in 2001 when he had finally been caught and arrested. Chris Cooper did a great job playing the spy character of Robert Hanssen, don't care for Ryan Phillippe's acting much, though. But all in all this is a pretty good spy thriller.

Syriana (2005) - Rewatched this for the umpteenth time, I still like it because each time I see it I understand the many subplots a little more. But mainly I like it because of the scenery, and because Alexander Siddig is yummy to look at. (And Amr Waked isn't too bad either, even though in this movie he's playing a bad guy.)

Major League (1989) - Rewatched this for about the dozenth time, don't think I need to see it again because after about the tenth time it doesn't seem as funny anymore. But I have a soft spot for the Indians (are they still called that?) being I lived in Cleveland for a few years, went to a few games of theirs at the old stadium.

If anything it was fun to see all the big name actors of that era, some of their career trajectories are pretty interesting. Wesley Snipes went to jail, Charlie Sheen went bonkers, and whatever happened to Tom Berenger? He was in some pretty good movies way back when. (Major League, The Big Chill, Platoon, etc.)

Reactions: jmdirt
Major League (1989) - Rewatched this for about the dozenth time, don't think I need to see it again because after about the tenth time it doesn't seem as funny anymore. But I have a soft spot for the Indians (are they still called that?) being I lived in Cleveland for a few years, went to a few games of theirs at the old stadium.

If anything it was fun to see all the big name actors of that era, some of their career trajectories are pretty interesting. Wesley Snipes went to jail, Charlie Sheen went bonkers, and whatever happened to Tom Berenger? He was in some pretty good movies way back when. (Major League, The Big Chill, Platoon, etc.)
Berenger was heading for major stardom in the 80s and was in a slew of hit movies and good ones. He never seemed to get the opportunities when he got older. Mostly does B movies these days like a lot of former popular actors. Saw him in a trailer recently but can't remember the name of the movie. Sometimes it's just age. Like child actors that hit 16 and are no longer wanted. Hopefully they had good financial managers looking after their interests. Ron Howard was one child star that made good as a director when he got older. Many of them leave the business and are never seen aagain.

I grew up going to Indian and Pirate games. Grew up basically between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Spend many evenings at Lake Front Stadium and Three Rivers Stadium. Interesting side note: When they were filming for Major League they advertised that the three games right before the All-Star break were going to be filmed partly for overall crowd shots and wanted as full as a stadium as possible. My dad and I were at one of those three games. When the team moved from Lake Front into Jacobs Field it become very difficult to get tickets. One of the managers where I worked at the time had a partial season package and would sell the tickets she didn't use at face value to friends and employees so I was able to get a pair so my dad could see a game at the new park. He was a huge fan of all the Cleveland teams.

I grew up going to Indian and Pirate games. Grew up basically between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Spend many evenings at Lake Front Stadium and Three Rivers Stadium. Interesting side note: When they were filming for Major League they advertised that the three games right before the All-Star break were going to be filmed partly for overall crowd shots and wanted as full as a stadium as possible. My dad and I were at one of those three games. When the team moved from Lake Front into Jacobs Field it become very difficult to get tickets. One of the managers where I worked at the time had a partial season package and would sell the tickets she didn't use at face value to friends and employees so I was able to get a pair so my dad could see a game at the new park. He was a huge fan of all the Cleveland teams.
We were always sitting in the cheap seats way in the outfield, it was so much fun because the crowd was so nutty. (Kinda like depicted in Major League.) And I had a crush on the center fielder Brett Butler because there wasn't much else to see of the game, at least I had a cute player to look at. I still have an Indians' seat cushion and baseball cap, that was from when they were giving out freebies to the first however many fans came to the game.

Were you a Browns or Steelers fan? Sounds like your dad was a Browns fan. I was a huge Steelers fan back when Terry Bradshaw was still the QB, it wouldn't have even occurred to me to be a Browns fan.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Berenger was heading for major stardom in the 80s and was in a slew of hit movies and good ones. He never seemed to get the opportunities when he got older. Mostly does B movies these days like a lot of former popular actors. Saw him in a trailer recently but can't remember the name of the movie. Sometimes it's just age. Like child actors that hit 16 and are no longer wanted. Hopefully they had good financial managers looking after their interests. Ron Howard was one child star that made good as a director when he got older. Many of them leave the business and are never seen aagain.
I can honestly say I have never seen a single episode of The Andy Griffith Show, or even Happy Days, where Howard had gained fame as an actor. But I sure have seen many Howard-directed movies, many of them are pretty good. He's a bit of a rarity in Hollywood.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
We were always sitting in the cheap seats way in the outfield, it was so much fun because the crowd was so nutty. (Kinda like depicted in Major League.) And I had a crush on the center fielder Brett Butler because there wasn't much else to see of the game, at least I had a cute player to look at. I still have an Indians' seat cushion and baseball cap, that was from when they were giving out freebies to the first however many fans came to the game.

Were you a Browns or Steelers fan? Sounds like your dad was a Browns fan. I was a huge Steelers fan back when Terry Bradshaw was still the QB, it wouldn't have even occurred to me to be a Browns fan.

We always sat down either the first or third base line and usually lower levels at both Lake Front and Three Rivers. Sat behind the plate once, and that was opening day for the Priates when I was in college and went with a bunch of friends. Everyone going gave ticket money to one of the guys and that's where he managed to get 10 tickets together. Been to a few games when on vacation as well. Boston and Toronto. Boston was down the 3rd base line and Toronto was behind home plate. Fenway is an awesome experience. I've never sat in the outfield for a baseball.

My dad was a die hard Cleveland fan. He died the year the Cavs won the championship. He died in January, but it was when the Cavs won that it really hit me. (I've lived 8 to 12 hours away from family for years.) I'm a Pittsburgh fan. My dad grew up a Cleveland fan. His grandmother was a Cleveland sports fan and had a Indians uniform made for him when he was a little kid. I have a baseball from one of those giveaways in Cleveland. I have a full size wood bat from one of those giveaways in Pittsburgh. That one was for the first like 10,000 fans under 14.

We always sat down either the first or third base line and usually lower levels at both Lake Front and Three Rivers. Sat behind the plate once, and that was opening day for the Priates when I was in college and went with a bunch of friends. Everyone going gave ticket money to one of the guys and that's where he managed to get 10 tickets together. Been to a few games when on vacation as well. Boston and Toronto. Boston was down the 3rd base line and Toronto was behind home plate. Fenway is an awesome experience. I've never sat in the outfield for a baseball.

My dad was a die hard Cleveland fan. He died the year the Cavs won the championship. He died in January, but it was when the Cavs won that it really hit me. (I've lived 8 to 12 hours away from family for years.) I'm a Pittsburgh fan. My dad grew up a Cleveland fan. His grandmother was a Cleveland sports fan and had a Indians uniform made for him when he was a little kid. I have a baseball from one of those giveaways in Cleveland. I have a full size wood bat from one of those giveaways in Pittsburgh. That one was for the first like 10,000 fans under 14.
:( Sorry to hear your dad had passed before he got to see the Cavs win it all, if my math is correct. I'm sure he had some opinions on LeBron James.

I liked the Blue Jays when I lived in Cleveland, I kinda lost touch with MLB once I moved to the Seattle area. I did go to one Mariners-Indians game in Seattle, but the feel of the covered Kingdome just wasn't the same as an outdoor ballpark. It just felt so sterile compared to the craziness and the (relatively) fresh air of the old Lakefront stadium.

:( Sorry to hear your dad had passed before he got to see the Cavs win it all, if my math is correct. I'm sure he had some opinions on LeBron James.

I liked the Blue Jays when I lived in Cleveland, I kinda lost touch with MLB once I moved to the Seattle area. I did go to one Mariners-Indians game in Seattle, but the feel of the covered Kingdome just wasn't the same as an outdoor ballpark. It just felt so sterile compared to the craziness and the (relatively) fresh air of the old Lakefront stadium.

Thank you. That was really sad. I don't think he was ever a big fan of LeBron. I remember he was a bit annoyed with the way he left Cleveland the first time, but I don't remember much more than that.
I still try to follow the Pirates, but living in an area without MLB it's easier to lose touch. Moving to Durham I'm hoping we can get this pandemic under control so we can eventually go to some Durham Bulls games. That stadium is going to be about a 10 minute drive from the apartment complex my husband has an apt at and once we sell the house I'll be moving to. Plan is when I get there to transfer from the small 1 bedroom into one of the town homes in the complex.
Did you ever go to a Indian game in April? It can be cold and get snow. When I was in high school they did something with grades and gave away tickets to Indian games in April. I managed to get a couple and yes it snowed during that game. Light snow, but still.

Thank you. That was really sad. I don't think he was ever a big fan of LeBron. I remember he was a bit annoyed with the way he left Cleveland the first time, but I don't remember much more than that.
I still try to follow the Pirates, but living in an area without MLB it's easier to lose touch. Moving to Durham I'm hoping we can get this pandemic under control so we can eventually go to some Durham Bulls games. That stadium is going to be about a 10 minute drive from the apartment complex my husband has an apt at and once we sell the house I'll be moving to. Plan is when I get there to transfer from the small 1 bedroom into one of the town homes in the complex.
Did you ever go to a Indian game in April? It can be cold and get snow. When I was in high school they did something with grades and gave away tickets to Indian games in April. I managed to get a couple and yes it snowed during that game. Light snow, but still.
Nah, I've never been that of a diehard fan of any sport where you have to sit through sub-zero temps and snow, kudos to you and all other fans who are willing to do that, though. (Having to walk to school in the middle of a Cleveland snow storm was enough for me.)

The Durham Bulls... were they there before the movie Bull Durham came out? Is it based on them? Can't say I like the movie much anymore, btw., (first time watching it it was amusing), the whole "church of baseball" storyline is just too much of a something-something for me nowadays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin
Nah, I've never been that of a diehard fan of any sport where you have to sit through sub-zero temps and snow, kudos to you and all other fans who are willing to do that, though. (Having to walk to school in the middle of a Cleveland snow storm was enough for me.)

The Durham Bulls... were they there before the movie Bull Durham came out? Is it based on them? Can't say I like the movie much anymore, btw., (first time watching it it was amusing), the whole "church of baseball" storyline is just too much of a something-something for me nowadays.

The "snow" game was insane.

The Bulls minor league team was there for decades before the movie. I think the movie just uses them as a backdrop. I saw the movie once, but like you don't really care for the movie. Just googled it and apparently the team was founded in the early 1900's.

On the other hand, of older sports movies, I do still enjoy Hoosiers. The basketball movie about an Indiana high school coach and team.

Watched. Destroyer, w Nicole Kidman, I gotta say it puzzled me. Hollywood looks to have absolutely perfected on screen aging ..this movie goes back and forth allowing Kidman to have piercing blue eyes and darker brown hair,to looking like a drugged, drunk member of the Golden Girls.

TRENDING THREADS