• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
One of my favourites and I don't think it has been mentioned that much yet:
Cool Hand Luke

Perhaps not the best film, but it's a shame it is quite unknown with the current generation

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
nowhereman said:
I work in the film industry, and have for over 35 years. And this is one of the most inappropriately named threads I've ever seen in this forum. And at the same time one of the most senseless discussions, because it throws art into a competition. Maybe because we think of the Academy Awards as a competition, or because many of use like to watch or take part in bicycling competitions, we easily lend ourselves to the insanely absurd question of: "Best Film(movie) ever made?"
I tell you what. Why don't we have a competition(thread) for the best Statue/Sculpture ever made? Or the Best Painting ever painted? Or the Best song ever sung?
Don't we realize that all of the above subjects are too open to the most subjective of opinions in all of us? And that this subjectivity, makes this a totally futile exercise.
Bad enough that the title implies that there could be a best film(movie) ever made. There are too many genres to consider, and that's not even remotely mentioned!
Some people don't like animated features, some don't like films with any violence in them at all, no matter the films overall value. Some don't like comedies. Some love horror films. Not to mention some people are just too dim to get the point/message of some incredibly profound films. Given all these variables in peoples tastes alone, how could we ever come close to agreeing on the best film(movie) ever made?
Simply put: There is NO "best film(Movie) ever made"!
Many fine films have been named in this thread, and many absolutely idiotic films have been entered into consideration in this thread, for God knows what reason. The fact is, Art stimulates us, and in it's best form, it inspires us. But as we are all so very different, while some of us might agree with someone else's pick for a good/great film. There never was, and never will be, a Best film(movie) ever made.

Does anyone else find it ironic that someone who (claims to) work in films wrote this post?

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:
Does anyone else find it ironic that someone who (claims to) work in films wrote this post?

I guess he's not a voting member of the Academy or ever asked himself how much the industry profits by these sorts of competitions...

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Late entry...

Late - because I just joined the forum.

How about:
- In the heat of the night
- Kes
- The Station Agent
- Delicatessan

What a great forum!! How great to hear Robert Millar again?
Looking forward to being part of this...

May 24, 2010
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:
Hi Slick! Why would I "claim" to work in the industry, if I didn't? There's no Irony in what I wrote. It's just simple fact. Too many genre's, and subjective likes and dislikes for there to be ONE Best film ever made. But if you want to play with that concept, keep playing. Have fun.:D

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:

Yeah, and here I thought we were just a bunch of cycling fans discussing movies and other non-cycling topics on the side, not Siskel and the fat guy.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
TopCarbon said:
pretentious, self important, pompous a-hole........sounds about right actually.
Hmmmm, you're a very perceptive kind of person. I never thought of myself as so multi-faceted, but I'll take the compliment, Thank You!:)

A

Anonymous

While not a movie, I just watched "Collision" and have to say that it was fantastic. I fully expected to come away disliking Hitchens more than I already did, but came away loving the guy. I disagree completely with him, but what an amazingly insightful and funny man. I would suggest that regardless of where you fall on the issue of deity, it is a fascinating display of rhetoric and debate.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
While not a movie, I just watched "Collision" and have to say that it was fantastic. I fully expected to come away disliking Hitchens more than I already did, but came away loving the guy. I disagree completely with him, but what an amazingly insightful and funny man. I would suggest that regardless of where you fall on the issue of deity, it is a fascinating display of rhetoric and debate.

On the topic of miniseries, Band of Brothers and Generation Kill are probably the two best things I have ever seen on a television screen.

Best Movie

Since this forum is spawned by a forum about athletics I am suggesting a sports movie as the best ever. Many great movies and sports movies have been mentioned. For my money the best movie was the 1981 Academy Award winner Chariots of Fire.

The great thing about this movie is how it deals with the essence of competition in the dichotomy between Harold Abrahams and Eric Liddell. Abrahams is of course the Jew whose fierce desire to win underscores the struggle of Jews in a WASP society at Oxford, in society in general and later in Olympic competition.

This is of course contrasted with the naturally gifted Scottish Protestant Christian Eric Liddell who celebrated what he saw as God's gift to him of his raw talent for speed, with pure unadultered joy.

The scene in the dressing room before Abrahams runs the 100 metre final in the 1924 Paris Olympics is classic. You can cut the tension with a knife such is the pressure of Olympic competition. After he wins he does not want to celebrate with his team-mates but his coach demonstrating that pyschological bond between coach and athlete.

Liddell wins too (the 400) and the obvious pleasure he takes in the sheer joy of running is the perfect contrast to Abrahams intensity ("Not only did God make me, but he made me fast")

Great, great movie about the true essence of sport!

ericthesportsman6 said:
On the topic of miniseries, Band of Brothers and Generation Kill are probably the two best things I have ever seen on a television screen.

You poor soul. You have not seen the Wire, the Shield or OZ.;)

Steel4Ever said:
'Police Academy 7' anyone?

Homer Simpson after Bart is caught stealing:
How could you? Haven't you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain What's His Name? We live in a society of laws! Why do you think I took you to all those "Police Academy" movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing - did you?

As to the thread - the best film ever made, i think the answer is very clear.

It might not be the most enjoyable film to watch for most people.
It might not have made the most money.
It might not rank on many peoples top 10 lists, or on AFIs top 100.

But without any doubt, the greatest film ever made, for sheer genius, ammount of work and talent put in, influence on future works, and most impotantly, for the awe one feels when one watches it.

Disneys Fantasia.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:

BoB is truly beautiful, just got the blu-ray in the mail myself, and I'm watching it again myself, really good transfer to blu-ray. Well worth the money, even if you got it on dvd

A

Anonymous

I cant remember if ive answered this before so I shall just answer again.

Number 1 film of all time in my opinion: casablance

However, some notable close calls.

Star Wars Episode IV: I remember seeing this at the cinema back when it was released and it was like nothing i had ever seen before. The ultimate story. Good, Evil, Romance, and amazing effects.

Hurricane/Remember the titans: Im a massive Denzil washington fan and I honestly cant pick between these two for which was his greatest film. Certainly up there in my all time top 5.

Life of Brian: still the funniest thing i have ever seen outside of fawlty towers.

Raging Bull: Incredible film. Almost Perfect.

They Live: the greatest B movie ever made, and the greatest fight scene in the history of cinema.

Safety Last (Harold LLoyd): For me the greatest silent comedy movie.

All quiet on the western front/The longest day: cant decide between these two for the greatest ever war movie. Probably AQOTWF

Apocolypse now: the film that got me into the doors, and changed my whole musical outlook.

Over the last few years, and therefore too new to qualify, The Wrestler was one of the best films ive seen in ages. Another nearly but not quiet would be The Sting. Love that film.

TRENDING THREADS