• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Museeuw calls for doping confessions

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There are confessions and then there are partial confessions and then there are confessions that claim to be confessions but which reveal nothing.

If you are in the last two categories and claiming to be in the first then you deserve any flack that comes your way.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Museeuw said:
"Doping nemen, hoorde er voor iedereen bij. Na verloop van tijd ging het zelfs bij je levensstijl horen"

"Of je sprong op de trein, of je bleef op het perron staan. Iedereen wist het van mekaar en toch werd met geen woord over gerept. Die hypocriete houding doet ons nu de das om."

etc. source

Note: I am a bad translator :p

Everyone was part of it, after a while it became a lifestyle.

You either jumped on the train, or were left behind. Everyone knew about each other but no one talked about it. This hypocritical attitude now harms us.

The only way to escape this deadly spiral is to break the silence

If all my ex colleagues would also open up, we'd get a long way

If the Armstrong case was ment to settle with the doping years, then this was at least good for something.

Because of the widespread doping use, the playing field was level

If we all rode completely clean, I'd still be the king of one day races in that time, and Armstrong still would have won 7 tours

I highly doubt the bolded part hehe .. ironically as it is, due to the individual nature of doping this can't just be "assumed", it's just another justification of a doper's mind. Also, not everyone wishes to go as far as another. Left aside that some people (hint la) just had a better program all together (more expensive, more advanced, inside knowledge, protected etc.).

This statement alone confirms to me that he (still) is a hypocrite, aside the fact that he just disproved his "only at the end of my career" story.

I'm glad he is saying this but he's still a 2 face to me, if he never got caught would he still say this? It's also easy to say this NOW, where was he a few years ago?

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, what's going on with his hair? Plugs? :p

museeuw.bmp

Kwibus said:

Huge step. And, thank you JM.

Two things:

1. This could be the catalyst for Kimmage's suggestion to pursue a full recounting. It may not be complete (as some posters have noted above), but it is a very open admission that appears to fully support further conversation and detail.

2. It is interesting to consider that this may actually be to Lance's benefit, as it helps with the 'everyone did it' defense/diminishment.

NOT (!) wanting to either thread-jack, attract the Loonies, or undermine Museeuw's major step, but is it possible that Lance could have encouraged this?

Dave.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Museeuw is an idiot until he breaks omerta. Until he goes to WADA and gives a full confession to his doping, doctors and suppliers he is doing more damage limitation for Armsrong and Bruyneel.

It was a lifestyle, what like in a magazine Johan? or in a junkies den?

It was a level playng field! We hear this BS from Armstrong bots all the time!

Give me a break Museeuw is an idiot and trying to help Bruyneel, Riis and Armstrong.

Props to him for stating this, and hopefully it will get the ball rolling on others to do the same. But he really needs to talk to WADA and NADO, and directly call other cyclists and pressure them to do the same, as much as make a press statement.

I for one don't believe cycling is cleaner than ever. Cleaner than it was in his career? Definitely. But 100% clean? No way.

This isn't a real confession. He's saying: "Everybody did it. Let's act as if nothing happened, not disqualify anyone and not fire any of the doctors and team leaders that were involved." It's the Lefevere philosophy.

And he certainly isn't the first: Manzano, Simeoni etc.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily call it a victory, the guy has a line of bike frames and getting back in the headlines as a anti-doping crusader is questionable, he's also out of the Pro-Scene because of his admission. Outing the Omerta might let him back in if the powers that be are no longer there, he wants back in badly.

Somebody brought up Lemond but with Museeuw's call we should actually be bringing up Patrick Lefévère and then connect the dots down to none other than Tom Boonen.

A

Anonymous

ElChingon said:
I wouldn't necessarily call it a victory, the guy has a line of bike frames and getting back in the headlines as a anti-doping crusader is questionable, he's also out of the Pro-Scene because of his admission. Outing the Omerta might let him back in if the powers that be are no longer there, he wants back in badly.

Somebody brought up Lemond but with Museeuw's call we should actually be bringing up Patrick Lefévère and then connect the dots down to none other than Tom Boonen.

Bingo.....

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Museeuw is an idiot until he breaks omerta. Until he goes to WADA and gives a full confession to his doping, doctors and suppliers he is doing more damage limitation for Armsrong and Bruyneel.

It was a lifestyle, what like in a magazine Johan? or in a junkies den?

It was a level playng field! We hear this BS from Armstrong bots all the time!

Give me a break Museeuw is an idiot and trying to help Bruyneel, Riis and Armstrong.

+1
I doubt he has called up his buddy Bruyneel and encouraged him to come clean. I will never forget the two of them walking around, shoulder to shoulder at the worlds all weekend shortly after Museeuw was accused of buying Aranesp and kept out of the race. We may very well be hearing more about that drug in the near future. It was very obvious that neither gave a crap what anyone thought.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Props to him for stating this, and hopefully it will get the ball rolling on others to do the same. But he really needs to talk to WADA and NADO, and directly call other cyclists and pressure them to do the same, as much as make a press statement.

I for one don't believe cycling is cleaner than ever. Cleaner than it was in his career? Definitely. But 100% clean? No way.

I'd like to hear that phone conversation when he talks to LieStrong. I'd imagine it going something like Lance telling him repeatedly that Museeuw is number one, or if they are Skyping, Lance holding up 3 fingers and telling him to read between the lines. Just to enhance the direct verbal insults.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Museeuw is a big time Motherf@cker, first class. One of the first and best responders to EPO. Now calling for redemption? He was a nice sprinter, was chickened out of the sprints because Abdoujaparov was so dangerous so he went to the Flamish Classics. Thanks to him real Flandriens like Edwig van Hooydonck quit cycling. Mind you, I didn't like van Hooydonck at all but I hate guys like Museeuw stating he would have won without the dope. **** that hypocrite dopehead!

http://www.sportgeschiedenis.nl/2008/03/28/edwig-van-hooydonck-kon-winnen-zonder-doping.aspx

Edwig van Hooydonck said:
Na de Brabantse Pijl van 1996 gooide Van Hooydonck de handdoek in de ring. "Ik reed voorin met Museeuw. Ik dacht dat ik frisser was, omdat hij daags voordien de E3-Prijs had gewonnen, een koers die ik niet had gereden. En dan zie je dat hij op de Alsemberg doodleuk drie tanden groter rijdt. Dan verklaart hij na zijn carri&#232]

Translation:
''After the Brabantse Pijl 1996 van Hooydonck threw in the towel. 'I was riding up front with Museeuw. I thought I was fresher because he won the E3 the day before, I hadn't riden the E3. And then you see him on the Alsemberg riding 3 gears bigger than me. After his carreer he states he only doped in his final year, I say BS, Museeuw doped his whole carreer, simple as that' ''

And now mister EPO wants to come clean? Throw him and that idiot Lefevre in jail for dealing drugs, which is a criminal offence in Belgium. If it wasn't for this kind of idiots maybe Franck Vandebroucke would still be alive.

Sorry for my language!