• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 170 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Every year at the same period I'm listening to Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas.

In my opinion it carries the true meaning of Christmas at a time the celebrations have been taken over by Disney-like satanists and atheists. Greg shot his clip in Israel in the desert because it's where Jesus was born, in order to show the contrast with the Father Christmas on his sledge and in the snow.

He also seems to have always disliked it written Xmas (like me, to be honest :p)

They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on earth
But instead it just kept on raining
A veil of tears for the Virgin's birth
I remember one Christmas morning
A winters light and a distant choir
And the peal of a bell and that Christmas tree smell
And their eyes full of tinsel and fire

They sold me a dream of Christmas
They sold me a silent night
And they told me a fairy story
'till I believed in the Israelite

And I believed in Father Christmas
And I looked to the sky with excited eyes
'till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn
And I saw him and through his disguise

I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave New Year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear
They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on earth
Hallelujah Noël be it heaven or hell
The Christmas we get we deserve

But last year I discovered that he performed a version of his song with Ian Anderson in a church, with a skulls & bones tee on. :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6-PAKOt7sM

There's also a great Greg interview on Youtube where he explains the meaning of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VGB-LRuwNU

Ian Anderson (with Jethro Tull) also performed a great Christmas Song. It carries the same meaning, more or less.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mrhender said:
I struggle to comprehend your brilliance...

Cemetary party ftw...

You're so Hip...... ;)

Hip To Be Square :D
i heard another score recently, and I could have sworn it was Air. A recent release, the fillum type i see, are the small type, so dont know how that is.

Atm, every score i am hearing sounds like Dickon Hinchliffe, ex-Tindersticks, a founder, and in TS for their first 15 years.

Check him on imdb then listen to some of his stuff onyoutube, just small cinema movie clip.

tindersticks also just happen to be my favourite band, like Leonard Cohen, NickCave's non-guitar driven stuff, and The National, this gestalt will give you Tindersticks sound.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
blackcat said:
i heard another score recently, and I could have sworn it was Air. A recent release, the fillum type i see, are the small type, so dont know how that is.

Atm, every score i am hearing sounds like Dickon Hinchliffe, ex-Tindersticks, a founder, and in TS for their first 15 years.

Check him on imdb then listen to some of his stuff onyoutube, just small cinema movie clip.

tindersticks also just happen to be my favourite band, like Leonard Cohen, NickCave's non-guitar driven stuff, and The National, this gestalt will give you Tindersticks sound.

Thanks BC...

They are all very much to my liking...

Haven't heard much of Tindersticks and the National's pieces..
But good to have something to keep up-on...

Cheers

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mrhender said:
Thanks BC...

They are all very much to my liking...

Haven't heard much of Tindersticks and the National's pieces..
But good to have something to keep up-on...

Cheers
i really dont like The NAtional. I think if Bruce Springstein tried to rip off Tindersticks sound, he would sound cr@p ust like The National.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
blackcat said:
i really dont like The NAtional. I think if Bruce Springstein tried to rip off Tindersticks sound, he would sound cr@p ust like The National.

Heh..

I see... I misunderstood..

I don't think they are so bad.. Not that it matters anyway..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mrhender said:
Heh..

I see... I misunderstood..

I don't think they are so bad.. Not that it matters anyway..
nah, you probably understood fine.

leonard cohen. plus The national. plus Cave's Badseed's non-guitar driven riffs.

= Tindersticks.

something like that atleast. And in a smokey French club. Gauloises a'course

one gets a little precious when they think that someon or some act has ripped off their favourite band!- blackcat

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Tricycle Rider said:
Absolutely marvelous!

However...

What do you do with these little boys once their voices start changing? (As puberty should be expected!)

yes, angel voices, aren't they. i don't know what happens to them after puberty - has to be quite an adjustment. but the question makes me think of one of my favorite voices, all grown up. Not sure if he sang in a choir, and maybe not as heavenly as libera boys but something heavenly remains, i think.

Radiohead and the voice of Thom Yorke

Reckoner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOoCixFA8OI

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
The most beautifully depressing song I've heard in quite sometime: Songs: Ohia-Blue Factory Flame
I saw him in Melbourne ~10 years back, at Edinburgh Castle on either NorthcorteRd/SydneyRd or Lygon, whichever Edinburgh C pub is on.

think it was just under his Jason Molina eponymous monicker! And he topped himself a few years later. Just like ElliotSmith who i also saw a year or two before Molina

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD those albums Molina was sounding like the gestalt of Oldham and BillCallahan.

like Mascis, he started of doing hardcore stuff too.

pigoonse said:
yes, angel voices, aren't they. i don't know what happens to them after puberty - has to be quite an adjustment. but the question makes me think of one of my favorite voices, all grown up. Not sure if he sang in a choir, and maybe not as heavenly as libera boys but something heavenly remains, i think.

Radiohead and the voice of Thom Yorke

Reckoner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOoCixFA8OI

Reckoner is a beautiful song, and In Rainbows is a wonderful album, one of Radiohead's finest in my opinion. I'd actually lost interest in them at this point, but it somehow caught my attention.

Speaking of choirboys who may/may not have sung in a choir, Andrew Montgomery comes to my mind. He was the lead singer of Geneva, and without a doubt one of the greatest vocalists of the brit-pop era.

Check out Worry Beads or Tranquillizer

blackcat said:
ChewbaccaD those albums Molina was sounding like the gestalt of Oldham and BillCallahan.

As much as I appreciate Will Oldham and Bill Callahan (who are both way more than decent) Jason Molina is on another level. I'm talking Mark Kozelek/Damien Jurado level, and that's about as highly ranked as you can get in my world.

'The Lioness', 'Didn't It Rain', 'Magnolia Electric Co' and 'What Comes After the Blues' are all near- or outright masterpieces. Songs like Hold on Magnolia, Hard to Love a Man and Alone With the Owl can drive me to tears. Damn, I miss him!

TRENDING THREADS