• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 168 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
mrhender said:

mrhender - not sure why all the giant letters :eek:

it's a different message in bang, bang, bang than in the Leonard Cohen stuff i have been listening to recently and posted; however her voice and delivery is every bit as compelling and powerful as LC's. killing, especially the police brutality all over the news right now, has me feeling completely saturated with it :(

ofc. i had heard bang bang bang before and did listen to it again...x 2 :)

thanks very much!

now, excuse me, i have to get back to my popcorn and mega-disaster movie. something to cheer me up ;)

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Got caught up watching Smiths clips on youtube. (Three hours later...)

God, did anyone ever do it better? No, I don't believe so.

"And if the day came when I felt a natural emotion / I'd get such a shock I'd probably jump in the ocean / And when a train goes by it's such a sad sound..."

Speaking of which, "Art-hounds" (a track on the deluxe version of Morrissey's new album) is the best thing he's recorded in years. Try it.

Noone asked, but since it's that time of year: Here's some of my 2014 favorite albums (in alphabetical order)

Alcest - L'eveil des muses (from the album 'Shelter')
French black-metal-goes-shoegaze. There's no metal left on this album, though, probably why I like it. Neil Halstead of Slowdive appears on a track, and it's produced by Sigur Rós' producer. This is quite similar to those two bands.

Simone Felice - Running Through My Head (from the album 'Strangers')
Simone Felice is usually drumming in The Felice Brothers, but he's released two very fine solo folk albums too. This one is my favorite, very low-key and very pretty. Some might find it boring, I love it. 'Running Through My Head' features some majestic gospel'ish backing vocals.

Mary Gauthier - How You Learn to Live Alone (from the album 'Trouble & Love')
Mary Gauthier's been releasing dreary but wonderful country records for a couple of decades now, and this one is as strong as always. She's a brilliant storyteller telling stories from a hard-fought life. If you like, say, Lucinda Williams' gentler side, you'll love Mary Gauthier.

J Mascis - Heal the Star (from the album 'Tied to a Star')
More mellow greatness from one of indie rock's true awkward heroes. Not quite as wonderful as the Dinosaur Jr-frontman's 2011-album, but it's not far off. This tremendous song is the most psychedelic sounding of the new bunch.

Narcosatanicos - Nausea (from the album 'Narcosatanicos')
One of the most impressive debuts for years from a band in my part of the world. It's full on noise attack from the sextet - three guitars, drums, bass and saxophone - who enjoys stuff like Swans, Stooges and Suicide. The album even features a cover of Suicide's 'Ghost Rider'. Unfortunately I've missed them in concert so far, but they should be quite a live spectacle.

Papir - IIII.I (from the album 'IIII').
More from my little corner of the world, because Copenhagen's instrumental kraut-postrock-heroes released their finest album yet in 2014. If you like lengthy tracks (usually ranging from 10 to 20 minutes) with lots of skill, atmosphere and occasional guitar freakouts, you should check out this trio. Brilliant live act too.

Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Take Away These Early Grave Blues (from the album 'Fu** Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything')
This album sets a more aggressive tone from this offshoot of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and I approve 100%! As apocalyptic and intense as you'd expect, this might be my favorite album yet from these folks - all projects included).

Sun Kil Moon - Carissa (from the album 'Benji')
One of the most raved about albums of the year, and some well-deserved 'fame' for slowcore maestro Mark Kozelek. His finest work yet as Sun Kil Moon, these wordy, no-BS stories are gripping, at moments shocking, and beautifully backed up by his soft guitar picking and throaty voice. I still prefer his work as Red House Painters, though.

Sharon Van Etten - Your Love Is Killing Me (from the album 'Are We There')
My little indie princess. She's building quite a lovely discography, and this one might be her finest yet, although it took some time to sink in - for me at least. Heartbreaking lyrics, a gorgeous and powerful voice and super competent musical backing. I'm a big fan!

Bring on your 2014 favorites!

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
mortand said:
Sharon Van Etten - Your Love Is Killing Me (from the album 'Are We There')
My little indie princess. She's building quite a lovely discography, and this one might be her finest yet, although it took some time to sink in - for me at least. Heartbreaking lyrics, a gorgeous and powerful voice and super competent musical backing. I'm a big fan!

Bring on your 2014 favorites!

"Your love is killing me" is the most poignant track of the year, at least that I've heard. Pop music doesn't get more dramatic. "Taking chances" is terrific as well. All in all a good record.

If you like raw, cathartic female indie music you might check out -- or perhaps you already know -- Torres, EMA, Emily Jane White. Natasha Khan (i.e. Bat for Lashes) is of a slightly different mold but she has far and away the strongest voice of the current lot.

BigMac said:

I'm very glad you like it, BigMac. :)

(But I miss Lars :()

You know that Robertson was heavily criticised for this song because it took some kind of freedoms from the real history of the "Grand Dérangement" but obviously the aim of a song is not to tell the true story of an event but to tell a story that would appeal to people's imagination.

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/acadian_driftwood_viney.html

From the Band, I'd also advise you

Up On Cripple Creek (Very famous!)
When I Paint My Masterpiece (Bob Dylan Cover; but as is often the case, Dylan covers are better than the originals)
Rockin' Chair (less famous but I love it; it's calm!)

On YT, you even some "making of's" of Up On Cripple Creek & Rockin' Chair

Nice that you are also listening to Simon & Garfunkel too. I did a lot when I had your age, too. My tastes have changed a little now but they are still great artists.

And since you like Deep Purple, just listen to Son of Alerik & an 80's (less psyche) version of Hush. It's great!

Cheers!

Altitude said:
If you like raw, cathartic female indie music you might check out -- or perhaps you already know -- Torres, EMA, Emily Jane White. Natasha Khan (i.e. Bat for Lashes) is of a slightly different mold but she has far and away the strongest voice of the current lot.

I'm slightly familiar with Torres and EMA, more familiar with Natasha Bat for Lashes, but have never heard of Emily Jane White. I'll try her out. Thanks.

It's a Richard Hawley kind of day today. Here's 'Lady Solitude'