• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 224 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bill Callahan has pretty much always been great, but seldom as much as on The Doctor Came at Dawn, the crossroads at which the scratchy lo-fi troubadour disappeared and the bleak, minimal, folk-tinged singer-songwriter version appeared; here, before he'd really grown comfortable in his new skin we got this album of otherworldly atmospheres that sounded like a balladeer beamed in from another planet. Truly loved this record through my student days.

Smog ~ All Your Women Things

I'm in a Francophone music mood so let me share

Gérard Manset - Il voyage en solitaire

Manset was normally quite psychedelic/prog rock oriented but this is more like a classic folk ballad. Very beautiful and melancholic. He's a very interesting guy, too. For over 40 years he's refused any invitation on TV or pop radio and has refused to ever perform on big concert halls such as the Olympia, Paris. That way he's remained really underground. I've only recently known about him because his hit song just mentioned has been covered by Alain Bashung, shortly before passing away. Bashung is a big star and he performed a few Manset songs at the Olympia. Such as "Comme un légo": Bashung's version, Manset's version. The lyrics of this song are frightening. Bashung's wife said and his wish to perform this song was evidence that he wanted to pass away (he had cancer).

I'm rediscovering Georges Brassens.

I've always liked Les copains d'abord very much. This song means a lot to me. It's really the way I see friendship. People who can fight ("on the stomach they hit each other very hard") but don't do each other dirty tricks otherwise friendship was on alert. Friendship is a compass indicating North. It's a song about faithfulness in friendship and respect of the most basic values such as I guess the respect of a given word. All things that matter to me. The characters seem to be sailors, so common people. I do have the feeling that that kind of friendship no longer exists.

Chanson pour l'Auvergnat is a very moving song about generosity, giving help to the poor and homeless. But more than that I have the feeling it's also a very rebellious song. Brassens talks about "well-intended people" who had "shut the door" to the beggar. I see it as revolt against hypocrites (politicians?) who always claim to do good for the people but never act, never concretely give anything. I've noticed that the poorer people are always the first to show signs of generosity. :)

Just finished my first listen of Green Day's leaked new album 'Revolution Radio'. Has some decent songs, some forgettable once a few great ones. Not sure what I expected, I've almost never listened to entired albums of them. It's miles better than the uno! dos! tre! crap, but I'm kinda missing great single material.