• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 226 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
sienna said:
Cance > TheRest said:
sienna said:
The Stones appear to have returned to their R'n'B roots for the new album - could be their best since Beggars Banquet.
Better than Let It Bleed? ;) I doubt it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phxNVx3Jyq0
Gimme Shelter v Sympathy for the Devil.
I am, and have always been, a huge fan of Brian Jones. :)

....ahhhh, The Blessed Brian....funny how the deaths of Morrison and Hendrix and Joplin resonate so loudly still, but Jones not so much....and he was a influential monster player...

Cheers

blutto said:
....ahhhh, The Blessed Brian....funny how the deaths of Morrison and Hendrix and Joplin resonate so loudly still, but Jones not so much....and he was a influential monster player...

Cheers

My opinion has always been that the Stones were lucky to have Mick Taylor with them. The period with him in the band was their golden er and they treated him like sh*t. He wrote with Jagger several songs which he never got credit for, while Richards was in detox. Sway for example, Richards didn't do anything in the recording of it, he didn't go to the studio and yet the signature was the usual Jagger/Richards. It was their best song with regards to the melody. The two Mick T solos were awesome, his usual trick, first with the bottleneck and the second one with the fingers, intertwixted with the piano, just supreme. It's just like another band, it should be renamed "Mick Taylor & the Rolling Stones". He just rocked.

Also his solo on their cover of Robert Johnson's Love in Vain was phenomenonal. He really was their luck but was not enough of a showman for the Stones, too quiet, I guess.
The Beatles were a much more innovative band and always were one step ahead of the Stones but they didn't have such a gifted guitarist. Replacing him by Ron Woods, while they could have taken Jeff Beck is beyond me!

Re:

aphronesis said:
@echoes, the discussion gets hard there: sway is exemplary, but as richards remarks(in paraphrase) would it be more than a riff w/o the stones?

sure he should get royalties from it.

Not sure I got what you meant but Mick T did more than a riff on Sway, he co-wrote it with Mick J. Richards not only wasn't involved in the writing process, he was not even present during the recordings of it. He was in detox. It happened for several other songs too, I think. Sure Taylor was not a great songwriter but his contribution to the Stones made it a great band instead of a "good one": especially a great live band. He only got royalties for one song on "Exile from Main Street": "Ventilator Blues".

There are other rumours about Stones being robbers. Ry Cooder claimed to have witten "Honk Tonk Women andsome say Gram Parsons wrote "Wild Horses". I don't know about the credibility of those allegations but for sure Mick T was screwed.