Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 338 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aphronesis:

I know it is blasphemous to say, but aside from a handful of truly awesome music, I have never been a fan of Prince.
Until now, I never heard the song you posted, but I like. To this untrained ear, the track sort of reminded me of Dress Sexy by Bill Callahan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI-9fGEgAcY&list=RDpI-9fGEgAcY&start_radio=1

LS:
re--Googoosh.
That track would be the perfect theme song for an Iranian crime fighting tv show starring, say, Chris Elliot.
 
Re:

aphronesis said:
I’ve also always been ambivalent about Prince on the whole : I can see and argue everything that people love in him, but not all of it engages me. But I heard that a few times recently and rembered how good that moment was.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend the other day. Topic was: Bands you hate but are supposed to love. Main criteria being critical (not commercial) acclaim, and disapproval of choices made by friends whose taste in music you otherwise respect.
I have always wanted to get this off my chest; I think it will be cathartic. Soul cleansing, if you will.
1) Beach Boys
2) David Bowie
3)Elvis Costello
4) The Clash
5) Prince

I feel much better. Thanks for indulging me.
 
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
aphronesis said:
I’ve also always been ambivalent about Prince on the whole : I can see and argue everything that people love in him, but not all of it engages me. But I heard that a few times recently and rembered how good that moment was.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend the other day. Topic was: Bands you hate but are supposed to love. Main criteria being critical (not commercial) acclaim, and disapproval of choices made by friends whose taste in music you otherwise respect.
I have always wanted to get this off my chest; I think it will be cathartic. Soul cleansing, if you will.
1) Beach Boys
2) David Bowie
3)Elvis Costello
4) The Clash
5) Prince

I feel much better. Thanks for indulging me.
I would totally agree on the Beach Boys, Elvis Costello, but also *gasp* to some degree, Neil Young.

I totally get that they are/were extremely talented musicians in their own right, and that I'm supposed to love them, but for some reason they just never quite hit the spot with me.

And on that note - I must also mention I like Tom Petty's earlier work, but as time went by I just didn't feel him anymore. This one I still like, though.

Tom Petty with Stevie Nicks - "Needles and Pins"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNU5ySctPz4
 
Tricycle Rider
Don't forget Bob *cough* Dylan and The Rolling *cough* Stones. I know, I know. Blasphemy. Sorry.

Rather than get too carried away and turn this into a Music We Are Not Listening To thread, I direct your attention to Solvent. Many people will add it to their quote Not Listening To collection, but I submit Solvent is a truly tremendous electronic music band.
Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp1zL0HXCdQ&list=PLCC57DACB9D494223
 
the delgados said:
Tricycle Rider
Don't forget Bob *cough* Dylan and The Rolling *cough* Stones. I know, I know. Blasphemy. Sorry.

Rather than get too carried away and turn this into a Music We Are Not Listening To thread, I direct your attention to Solvent. Many people will add it to their quote Not Listening To collection, but I submit Solvent is a truly tremendous electronic music band.
Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp1zL0HXCdQ&list=PLCC57DACB9D494223
Dylan is a hit and miss with me, but ultimately, I think what we are asked to do, as people who appreciate music, is simply to respect the musicians who came before us because they had some kind of an input into what we may now call music. We don't necessarily have to love them. (Not loving all this autotune the kids are into these days, btw., but that's a bedtime story for another night.)

Will listen to your link shortly. (After the cat I'm currently babysitting is done rocking out to the early Tom Petty.)
 
There is a ton of music from that era and before that is outstanding. Velvet Underground is one that immediately comes to mind. There are tons more in different genres that goes back decades that I love . Patsy Cline comes to mind. Some blues that dates back almost a century is stunningly beautiful.

The Solvent track I posted dates back to the early aughts. Which, as the kids would say, is a lifetime ago.
 
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
aphronesis said:
I’ve also always been ambivalent about Prince on the whole : I can see and argue everything that people love in him, but not all of it engages me. But I heard that a few times recently and rembered how good that moment was.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend the other day. Topic was: Bands you hate but are supposed to love. Main criteria being critical (not commercial) acclaim, and disapproval of choices made by friends whose taste in music you otherwise respect.
I have always wanted to get this off my chest; I think it will be cathartic. Soul cleansing, if you will.
1) Beach Boys
2) David Bowie
3)Elvis Costello
4) The Clash
5) Prince

I feel much better. Thanks for indulging me.
I prefer hard rock/metal. Black Sabbath was the first band to blow me away. (in the '70s). If you are a fan of rock, you are supposed to love the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, but I dislike the Beatles and can only tolerate some Zep.

I think I recommended this in the movie thread, but the Ginger Baker documentary: "Beware of Mr. Baker" is worth watching. You can stream it from several sources or try this YouTube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7h8CqYXEx0
 
Sabbath is the only thing from that era I’d still put on.

In terms of that discussio, when Bowie died, I heard tributes for a week and was astonished at the range beyond the 15 or so AOR staples. Plus there was the Iggy Pop material. And it was interesting how many friends told me how much he had meant to their lives.

I think Neil Young is similarly important for his influence on so many different bands across genres.
 
The ones I'm supposed to love but really don't get are The Ramones, Rush, The Libertines (yes, really), and any Fleetwood Mac that doesn't have Peter Green in it.

The Beach Boys, Prince and Neil Young are all awesome, though I freely accept that the latter has made some tosh in his time. But when he's on it, he's incredible. Tonight's The Night / On The Beach era is just too good.
 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YpBBUMjo8Ng

Music is art, but in this context it’s also commercial culture. People lose sight of that distinction. Yes the arts have always been patronized and yet how many people can name more than 15-20 Renaissance painters as the rest fell away. Similarly if one goes and listens to 80s radio music, they’ll find almost identical production values across what were then opposed genres. What rises above and outlasts the crap is down to taste in terms of appreciation.

@Libertine 2112 through Moving Pictures were great in the moment but I’d never expect anyone to automatically get it or care now.
 
Re:

aphronesis said:
What rises above and outlasts the crap is down to taste in terms of appreciation.
And that is the truth, Ruth!

The dog and cat I'm currently babysitting don't seem to care for my acid house music either, but I still managed to get their reaction to it. (I did protect their ears from it by wearing headphones, but I do believe they at least got the gist of it.)





Basically what I'm saying is music appreciation can come from very different angles (and I'm sure you all already know what I'm speaking of), and thusly, music/art appreciation and criticism will always remain subjective.
 
Tri Rider.
That was awesome.
I know the sounds are not similar, but for some reason the track reminds me of Matthew Dear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Nu1qwT8os
This is just a taste of his absolute brilliance.
p.s. You are never too old to get on the dance floor. For me, it takes the right music and the right droogs to get me going; but it is still a lot of fun.

jmdirt

I am half way through the documentary and the Mr. Baker guy seems like an champion. Guy is definitely talented, and although Im not into the Cream, it still reminds me of songs from different genres that I love. The 33 minute mark of the doc made me think of one of my fav bands of all time. Thè Faith Healers. Just a reminder that pretty much all music is derivative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by4r9nq8xT4

LS
Don't recall anyone saying Rush was good (I kid).
 
the delgados here, and I am guilty as charged. Not only do I find their music to be pretentiously overblown, the lead singer guy is a libertarian. Simply put, Geddy Lee is an a-hole in my opinion.
But hey, whatever floats yer boat! It is all good, Tri Ride!
Anyone here heard of Xiu Xiu (qm)
They have been around for a while and continue to make some of the most amazing and truly disturbing art rock I have ever heard.
Take a peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEf9pmrRo9E
 
the delgados said:
the delgados here, and I am guilty as charged. Not only do I find their music to be pretentiously overblown, the lead singer guy is a libertarian. Simply put, Geddy Lee is an a-hole in my opinion.
But hey, whatever floats yer boat! It is all good, Tri Ride!
Anyone here heard of Xiu Xiu (qm)
They have been around for a while and continue to make some of the most amazing and truly disturbing art rock I have ever heard.
Take a peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEf9pmrRo9E
Without even listening to your latest offering I must explain what Rush meant to us (and more specifically to my older brother) back in the 80s when we were just bare teens. Rush was just a more intellectual approach to rock, because otherwise you had what kind of music you never felt quite cool with?

Please let me know, because I'm sure you have all the answers.
 
Sigh.
You are not the only one who seems to get upset when I talk about my taste in music. A close friend of mine says I am a music snob.
For what it is worth, I respect yours and everyone s taste in music. I may not like it, but it really does not matter to me. I am just goofing around here, and there is no offence intended.
I mean, it s not like I am commenting on a song you made.
I am truly sorry if you took offence to my comments. I assure you there was no malice intended.
 
Re:

the delgados said:
Sigh.
You are not the only one who seems to get upset when I talk about my taste in music. A close friend of mine says I am a music snob.
For what it is worth, I respect yours and everyone s taste in music. I may not like it, but it really does not matter to me. I am just goofing around here, and there is no offence intended.
I mean, it s not like I am commenting on a song you made.
I am truly sorry if you took offence to my comments. I assure you there was no malice intended.
No worries, hon, I get that you are trying to be a music/art snob. (Why would you even try to be such a thing?)

I take no offences of that sort of thing at all.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY