• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 161 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Can't go wrong with Clapton. Anyone heard his new "Clapton & Friends" release? Could be very good.....

We turned on the German public Culture channel the other night at random and stumbled on a Hugh Laurie New Orleans Jazz concert. We now have 2 of his CDs...... love it!

I've listened to "Clapton & Friends", couldn't find the details about it. It sounds like a collection of old jams from the Yardbirds and Cream. Sound quality is not very good, seems like the live work.

Thanks for the Laurie tip, I'll look into it :)

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I'm posting this again, but it is such a great performance by both the lead vocal and the lead guitar. The guitar solo after ~2:40 is perfect and remains among my favorites, if not the favorite, at least at this moment :) I remember when I listened for the first time to this song. I don't know how I came about it, but I got to it and started listening while doing something at the same time. The first thought was, wow Wilson Pickett has such a great voice, sounds much better than The Beatles. The amazement, however, was mild, but then all of a sudden, guitar solo by Duane Allman started! I immediately left whatever I was working and the reaction was goosebumps and whooo(next minute or so)ooooa, it blew my mind. Many guitar players have copied the style, but at the time it was groundbreaking and today, to me, it sounds better than the copies, especially on the emotional level.

I (like to) imagine Eric Clapton must've felt similar when he first heard it, because the story goes that he was driving a car and heard this song on the radio. As soon the guitar solo started he pulled over and listened to it and after that he went to call some people to find out who was the guitar player.

This song was a breakthrough for Duane Allman, he got a call from Clapton to work on the recording of "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" and the things picked up with the ABB. I still get the goosebumps when listening to the solo with the volume cranked up, and still feel the need to leave whatever it is I do at that moment in order to listen to it :)

Wilson Pickett & Duane Allman - Hey Jude (The Beatles cover)

TRENDING THREADS