• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 193 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Either prophetic or a chilling endnote, Siberian cult artist Yanka Dyagileva recorded Придёт вода (Water comes in), the last track on her final EP, only a month before her death in May 1991 aged 25, seemingly by the same drowning depicted. In some ways it's a fitting end with the cathartic chaos exploding out of the tense, driving themes.

She was more than can be depicted in her rock songs, though, as shown by late-career haunting ballads like Столетний дождь (figuratively "100 years of rain"), recorded shortly before that final EP. She turned down the opportunity to record for the state-owned Мелодия label, and also refused to do interviews or self-promote on principle, doing very few official public concerts, instead playing the "apartment gigs" of the counter-culture artists in the USSR where the subject matter was not so strictly monitored. She was known to suffer severely from depression at times, especially following the suicide of a close friend in 1988, and though her death was ruled an accident and though there is a theory that she was murdered, the most common assumption is that she herself committed suicide by drowning. As a result, she's a pretty mysterious character and there's little information available to piece together other than from those sources closest to her, such as Egor Letov, collaborator and former lover who salvaged and remastered her old recordings prior to his own premature death in 2009.

I listen to Grazhdanskaya Oborona very often but somehow I missed this artist. Thanks a lot for bringing her to the attention. I am absolutely loving her music.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

hrotha said:
blackcat said:
I will be buying my Built To Spill ticket tomorrow for a gig in Melbourne
Saw them about a month ago. Flawless.

Doug Martsch #FTW

Carry The Zero and Hindsight, about 18 years apart, may be the best indie-pop songs ever written and performed. just genius. With Tindersticks for mine, and David Berman's Silver Jews.

hrotha said:
blackcat said:
Yup, me too. Concert of the year for me. They ended the show with a 15+ minutes version of Broken Chairs, but it could've continued for another 15 without being too long. I'm not even a massive fan of Martsch & cohorts, but that was tremendous.

And, as blackcat mentions, Carry the Zero is one hell of a song.

sienna said:
jmdirt said:
Rock the dead Lemmy!
Saw them once - the loudest band I've heard live. RIP. :cry:

66220302.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

mortand said:
hrotha said:
blackcat said:
Yup, me too. Concert of the year for me. They ended the show with a 15+ minutes version of Broken Chairs, but it could've continued for another 15 without being too long. I'm not even a massive fan of Martsch & cohorts, but that was tremendous.

And, as blackcat mentions, Carry the Zero is one hell of a song.

there is something about that mid-late 90s college radio station indie rock sound. Well Pavement and Built To Spill, prolly early 90s. But his sound, it is my sound. Sonic Youth late 80s, just a little before me, but Dinosaur Jnr and Sebadoh, my best friend had all these sounds for me.

the Tony Blair Britpop was just do milquetoast and pusillanimous by comparison. It was the college radio station sound of this epoch, and the Dunedin Sound coming out of NZ, and Malkmus of Pavement said Dunedin Sound and an Australian 1980 punk band Thought Criminals were two of his influences. One was a movement sound, jingley jangley sound of Dunedin, TC a band. #TexPat.

One of the major crimes on a segue from Thought Criminals was Knaggs and Stapleton and Armstrong's Capital Sports & Entertainment forming that festival Austin City Limits and they also manage some artist of decent calibre like Iron and Wine. Also, the live clip of the post-punk Parquet Courts Boston Garden come Mellow Johnny's is worth watching was simulcast of KEXP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rEwOhbSbeI

made me try and find a live iteration of Broken Chairs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NtOA7ZT5XY

Thanks, blackcat, for alerting me to this thread. Sorry, no recollection about Sparklehorse collaborations; but just want to say I've enjoyed reading the past few pages of this thread. Lots of references to great bands.
p.s. @sienna. I loved Lemmy too (R.I.P), but I find it hard to believe any live band could be louder than Mogwai. I never saw Motorhead live, so I could be wrong, but Mogwai live is an assault on your senses (in a sublime way).

TRENDING THREADS