• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

My 3 year old son has cancer - Bike ride to help.

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
My 3 year old son William Lyne was first diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia Type M7 in Feb 2011 (aged 2 at that time). He presented with a lot of pain early on and needed a constant morphine background to help through the days. “AML” is the Adult form of the disease (as opposed to the commonest form of “ALL” in children which thanks to research has a significantly better outlook).

He was treated as an inpatient at the Royal Marsden in Sutton, England until July 2011 when we were advised his chance of relapse was only 30%.

We were always advised that a relapse within a year would not be good as it would be hard to get William back into remission again, so were always on edge during this period.

Unfortunately William relapsed over Christmas (Christmas day was the first major and clear sign of a relapse). He has since had 3 courses of strong Chemotherapy again as an inpatient at the Royal Marsden in Sutton and is due a to start a bone marrow transplant (the only known cure following a relapse) today (15/4/12) again as an inpatient at the Marsden. His current chances of survival/ mortality are 50:50. The bone marrow transplant will take an average of 6 weeks as an inpatient, then many months of worry about virus/ infections which can (and have recently been seen to be) be fatal. Though clearly having a transplant in the summer is advantageous with respect to catching a Virus.

Though I wish I could cure this horrible disease, I know this is beyond me, though I can support the people who can make a difference with financial support.

With this my brother David and I + my friend/ colleague Paul Richardson have decided to cycle around the Island of Zealand in Denmark (around 260 miles) in September this year with the hope to raise money for Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research. We plan to do the ride over 5 days.

Our charity link is:

http://www.justgiving.com/williamlyne

imaging.ashx

I hope you will support me in my quest to prevent other children getting this horrendous disease.

Regards.,

James

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
You have my sympathy and support. I wish you and your family great strength and courage in dealing with this evil sickness.

I knew a young girl years ago who suffered from the same condition and had to have a bone marrow transplant. Today, she is a healthy teenager. Keep the faith!

Big Jim said:
I hope you will support me in my quest to prevent other children getting this horrendous disease.

Why children? They're so easy to create anew, with their short growth periods and rudimentary personalities and intellects. And when they die, they leave a much smaller gap in people's lives. They're humans at their most expendable. Given the scarcity of resources available for cancer research, they should probably take a back seat.

Regardless, if you want to raise money, why don't you start a business or something? If you succeed, even if you do poorly, you'll make much more than you will by taking this cycling holiday. :)

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

It's a horrendous disease and I think you can see a lot in William's expression in the picture.

A truely horrible look that chills me , and you never really want to see your son like that.

But hopefully the BMT will do the trick as we have a good match.

Certainly I have a horrible burning feeling wanting to do something to help find a non intrusive cure, and just think research is the way forward and will pay dividends.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Big Jim said:
Thanks everyone.

It's a horrendous disease and I think you can see a lot in William's expression in the picture.

A truely horrible look that chills me , and you never really want to see your son like that.

But hopefully the BMT will do the trick as we have a good match.

Certainly I have a horrible burning feeling wanting to do something to help find a non intrusive cure, and just think research is the way forward and will pay dividends.

Thanks again everyone. :)

And your expression/kiss shows so much love. You would suck the pain out of William and take it upon yourself in a second if you could. A dad. But you can't. I bet William feels the same - now and hopefully later. Lets hope that the cure for Lukemia comes by the time he has kids.

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Polish said:
And your expression/kiss shows so much love. You would suck the pain out of William and take it upon yourself in a second if you could. A dad. But you can't. I bet William feels the same - now and hopefully later. Lets hope that the cure for Lukemia comes by the time he has kids.

Very kind and moving words. Thanks Polish. :)

Cancer is always a terrible ordeal, but when it strikes a child the inhumanity and injustice seems all the more intolerable and unconscionable. I can only agree with Polish, whose poetical words represent all our sentiments.

Respectfully sent: warm wishes and best of luck to your beautiful child.

May 1, 2012
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Cancer is always a terrible ordeal, but when it strikes a child the inhumanity and injustice seems all the more intolerable and unconscionable. I can only agree with Polish, whose poetical words represent all our sentiments.

Respectfully sent: warm wishes and best of luck to your beautiful child.

Thank you so much. :)

He's currently on day 3 after his bone marrow and seems ok. Just have another few weeks to get through and hopefully his counts will start to pick up.

May 1, 2012
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
keeping you in my thoughts.

Thanks Polish for putting into words what I cannot.

Thank you :)

We're currently on day 7 post transplant and all seems to be going ok.
We're just waiting for William's counts to come up really, which could start to recover anything from this sunday onwards.

The below picture is William having his new stem cells a week ago.
Big thank you to the Anthony Nolan Trust for finding the donor and arranging to get the cells. Also to the anonymous donor.

AtFvTZiCEAAO-OA.jpg

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Currently on day 12 post transplant and all seems to be going in the right direction. Fevers are less frequent and his health is slowely improving.

Here;s a picture from 2 days ago:
At6DGTYCIAEq5ds.jpg

Just need to improve my fitness in time for the ride. Being in hospital is a nightmare for your health!

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the messages :)
18 days post transplant (I think) and we had a really worrying night. a rash he developed vastly worsened, lips swollen, hi respiration rate (liteally panting), sats dropping, fevers, etc.
Dr's were very worried at around 1.00 am and called on the "on call" consultant to come in, and the intensive care retrieval team were ready to come. They decided to try Steroids as it could be graft verses host, and that seemed to sort him out. His White blood count is now 4, with 3 neutrophils. So, they think that the rapid engraftment has caused this reaction and the steriods basically surpresses the immune response (and why he improved).

Here's a picture:
AudchWqCEAEHk_9.jpg

May 1, 2012
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
Fingers Crossed that he keeps improving, and that it isnt Graft v Host
Thank you :)

He's a little better today, and his blood counts are really coming up quickly.

They're giving him steroids to reduce the rash and reactions, etc, and it seems to be helping. Very worrying times, but hopefullt all will improve in a few days.