• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
Arnout said:
Today was very disappointing. What if he takes 1 minute out of Froome tomorrow and another on Saturday? I doubt it will happen, but if it does he has this stage to blame for not having a shot at winning the thing and not stage 2.

I think it would be good for Nairito to gain that time on Froome in the last two days. He needs to learn that you need to take (some) risk to win if you're not in the best position. Today, he didn't give it his all, even though I don't think there was a chance he would've gained any time, whatever scenario you pick.

Agreed. Today was yawn as far as GC. I like Quintana, but no matter how 100% he is, he can't drop 100% Froome. He is one level below Froome/Contador. He can't say that he didn't have form, he has been having an easy early season and hiding in the mountain for almost 1 1/2. If this is his 100% form, .. he can't win the tour if froome is 100%. So far his attack only resulted in 1 second advantage. He seems to be happy to be 2nd place, it's totally different mentality than Contador. Just too bad, Contador is fatigue from the Giro. Otherwise we will see the battle like in Vuelta. But in every GT race, every time the top riders are being hyped, nothing ever happens.

Contador is not a factor in this race. Pointless to compare.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Jelantik said:
Arnout said:
Today was very disappointing. What if he takes 1 minute out of Froome tomorrow and another on Saturday? I doubt it will happen, but if it does he has this stage to blame for not having a shot at winning the thing and not stage 2.

I think it would be good for Nairito to gain that time on Froome in the last two days. He needs to learn that you need to take (some) risk to win if you're not in the best position. Today, he didn't give it his all, even though I don't think there was a chance he would've gained any time, whatever scenario you pick.

Agreed. Today was yawn as far as GC. I like Quintana, but no matter how 100% he is, he can't drop 100% Froome. He is one level below Froome/Contador. He can't say that he didn't have form, he has been having an easy early season and hiding in the mountain for almost 1 1/2. If this is his 100% form, .. he can't win the tour if froome is 100%. So far his attack only resulted in 1 second advantage. He seems to be happy to be 2nd place, it's totally different mentality than Contador. Just too bad, Contador is fatigue from the Giro. Otherwise we will see the battle like in Vuelta. But in every GT race, every time the top riders are being hyped, nothing ever happens.
How do you know that sherlock? :p
Do you think he was 100% at PSM or Mende etc?

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
If Quintana gains a minute today and another minute tomorrow then he will have no one to blame but himself and his team''s horrible tactics. If Quintana isn't in top form then he needs to look at himself and the way he prepares for big races. I hope Quintana can do something today but I feel like he will just pull off a last minute attack and win by a few seconds.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hugely dissapointing ride from Quintana. Doesn't seem to have any ambition for first place.

Everyone else attacking with 120kms to go but the strongest rider attacks with 5k to go so he can gain all of 30 seconds ????????

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Marco Pantani said:
If he wants the Tour, he needs to attack on CdF.
This.

Now it's too late. He had to go when Froome had no teammates, but the truth seems to be that Quintana is not confident enough of his abilities to go long range. When he tried that in 2013 he got burned but he hasn't realized that it won't be the same every time, especially in the third week when all your rival's teammates are running on empty.

It was a good show today, but gonig sooner would've made it a great show.

It's probably too late, but Quintana gave his all today. My only disappointment is that he didn't go earlier so he could get the win. There's no way he could have latched on to Nibali - that would've killed Nibali's attack - but he could have attacked further down the last climb. He would have caught Nibali and put more than a minute into Froome had he done so.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Son of Amsterhammer said:
I think it's just too much to make up on one climb, but today showed me there is at least a chance of something exciting happening tomorrow. We'll see.

Froome was on the limit today ,,,,Quintana has no balls. You won't get 3 minutes attacking from there.
WTF didn't he attack at 10k or at the start of the last climb or follow Nib's attack.
If he wants to win this tour he has to go early. Looking how the gap got bigger at the finish Quintana let another chance slip by ....
If you want to win you have to lay it on the line ,not be scared to lose. Does he realise he's losing.
ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

AlexNYC said:
It's probably too late, but Quintana gave his all today. My only disappointment is that he didn't go earlier so he could get the win. There's no way he could have latched on to Nibali - all that would've accomplished was to kill Nibali's attack - but he could have attacked further down the last climb. He could would have caught Nibali and put more than a minute into Froome.

He will never attack early because he's a defensive, negative rider who has been riding with Valverde for way too long. Quintana is a boring rider who doesn't have the balls to launch attacks. He should launch an attack early tomorrow, but he won't because of the reason in the first two sentences.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Agreed Ray. Looked like he was more scared of losing than he was interested in winning. But then again, who are we to say he wasn't at his absolute limit as well? He still did the fastest time up the climb after all.

ray j willings said:
Froome was on the limit today ,,,,Quintana has no balls. You won't get 3 minutes attacking from there.
WTF didn't he attack at 10k or at the start of the last climb or follow Nib's attack.
If he wants to win this tour he has to go early. Looking how the gap got bigger at the finish Quintana let another chance slip by ....
If you want to win you have to lay it on the line ,not be scared to lose. Does he realise he's losing.
ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

WTF... Who are you to call him a coward? You're not in his shoes, so how do you know that he's leaving something in the tank? This was the fastest ascent of this climb in history; just by looking at Quintana's face in the last KM it was obvious he gave all he had today. But here you're thinking he's taking the easy way out...

I had waited for Sky to neutralise Nibali, they didn’t do that so we went steadily up the climb instead and then I attacked, where I’d planned to. I was hoping to get a bigger gap on Froome, and to be honest it wasn’t as much as I wanted, he fought back harder than I thought was likely. I’ll go on fighting and see what we can do. It was so fast on the climb, there’s no way I could get away before. I’ll keep on fighting though.

"We did what we could and Froome is very strong. At least we’ve tried. I’ll try again tomorrow from further out, let’s see how strong he is then. We’ll try for the stage win at least. NIbali got away today, but I’m sure Alejandro Valverde will be able to handle him in the battle for the podium.
I like it.
Shouldn't have waited for Sky to bring back Nibali, though. That's a serious misjudgement.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
I had waited for Sky to neutralise Nibali, they didn’t do that so we went steadily up the climb instead and then I attacked, where I’d planned to. I was hoping to get a bigger gap on Froome, and to be honest it wasn’t as much as I wanted, he fought back harder than I thought was likely. I’ll go on fighting and see what we can do. It was so fast on the climb, there’s no way I could get away before. I’ll keep on fighting though.

"We did what we could and Froome is very strong. At least we’ve tried. I’ll try again tomorrow from further out, let’s see how strong he is then. We’ll try for the stage win at least. NIbali got away today, but I’m sure Alejandro Valverde will be able to handle him in the battle for the podium.
I like it.
Shouldn't have waited for Sky to bring back Nibali, though. That's a serious misjudgement.
The way Nairo shot up that climb makes me feel he could have gone earlier. Would have been better for him togo on the cat 2 climb. 2 mins 38 is too much probably too much to take back tomorrow, especially with the big flat part between Croix de Fer and alpe d'huez means he probably will have to take it all back on alpe d'huez.

TRENDING THREADS