• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 106 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Arnout said:
I'm glad I saw a real battle at last. It was too late, however determined it was, but it was there.

It's hard to say whether he would've been able to make up more time if he would've gone from further out. I somehow doubt it, but that's no excuse not to try.

IMO there is excuse. Movistar use to know how to optimize results, and they know for sure more about cycling than all the people that use to write here. they Know about Quinta,a Froome, route, and moments to attack. Thay are not going to riks everything, they have a lot to get but a lot got.

Contador or Nibali has nothing to lose, it is a different situation...

Anyway with that strobg headwind in Croix de fer, the possibilities to attack there from Quintana were small, and were Nibali attacked, it was a mechanical, and champions dont attack in a mechanical, so Quintana did right. It is not against Nibali, he is a champion, and his battle is not againt Froome.

Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Arnout said:
I'm glad I saw a real battle at last. It was too late, however determined it was, but it was there.

It's hard to say whether he would've been able to make up more time if he would've gone from further out. I somehow doubt it, but that's no excuse not to try.

IMO there is excuse. Movistar use to know how to optimize results, and they know for sure more about cycling than all the people that use to write here. they Know about Quinta,a Froome, route, and moments to attack. Thay are not going to riks everything, they have a lot to get but a lot got.

Oh I agree with this, I think this was the most optimal thing for Quintana to do - when we take this day in isolation. To win the Tour, I would've liked to see him risk a bit more, even though there's a big chance it would've been in vain.

I also don't really blame him since he's still learning to ride a GT as leader, right now he's a bit too concerned with controlling everything, but I think this will balance with the years :)

Arnout said:
there's a big chance it would've been in vain.

I also don't really blame him since he's still learning to ride a GT as leader, right now he's a bit too concerned with controlling everything, but I think this will balance with the years :)
HuH? FFS he was 2nd on 2013 Tour. Not Moviestar, but Movistar? Capicci? ;)

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
malakassis said:
the all positive view:

nairo is the most rested in week 3. illness in camp sky. stage to adh ridden hard from the begin. froome holding on to adh. nairo goes all in. froome on holiday in bonktown. nairo gains 2:30 + 10 bonus on froome who finishes 7 behind ac,niblles et al.

the realist view: like the positive one expect froome has an appointment in solidville and saves yellow. but nairo wins the stage.

Quintana is just a better climber that Froome, a pure climber.. this is normal, but the Tour is not just stages for climbers, every km counts.

People think that this Tour was very good for climbers...just becouse there is not much ITT...that is a mistake.

Froome prefers longer stages...there are a lot of examples but you can see quite well this year in Andalucia, he drpped Contador in a long stage with lot of small climbs...and was the oposite in a shorter. A short stage with big climbs it is better for pure climbers. But I think Froome will keep the difference. Today his mechanical had some importance... he needed to chase.

yes i think you are absolutely right about climbing and ITT. but i still want to see froome in a real high mountain stage. stuff like 2011 galibier or like this year vuelta crazy andorra stage! in all his strong years, has froome ever been confronted with a 5000D+ stage in GT?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Arnout said:
Taxus4a said:
Arnout said:

Oh I agree with this, I think this was the most optimal thing for Quintana to do - when we take this day in isolation. To win the Tour, I would've liked to see him risk a bit more, even though there's a big chance it would've been in vain.

No and...No

He didn't lose the Tour in Zeeland

He lost the Tour when he didn't attack on the Glandon
He lost the Tour when he didnt attack on the Croix de Fer with Nibali
He lost the Tour when he didn't attack sooner on La Toussuire
He lost the Tour when he didn't attack on the hard part of the Croix de Fer today when Froome had only one dom left

He said he came to win the Tour, yet he didn't even try and win it

Re:

Red Rick said:

He lost the Tour when he didn't attack on the hard part of the Croix de Fer today when Froome had only one dom left

Ah give over, you could make that case for nearly Tommy Voeckler.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Without stage 2, he may well have won the Tour. The biggest and most severe error of his entire Tour occured as early as that as I have been saying since then.

Re:

Red Rick said:

Attacking from from your chair must be really easy

Re:

Red Rick said:

He said he came to win the Tour, yet he didn't even appear to try and win it until the final two mountain stages. It's hard to say if he didn't even try at all. Perhaps he only had enough energy to attack the way he did on the last two stages? Hard to say what his body was feeling like. It is unfortunate he lost all that time on stage 2. Things would have probably been raced differently (more aggressively) in the mountains if they had come into the mountains closer in the GC.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Quintana did the Alpe in 39:22. 8 seconds quicker than Sastre in 2008.

The last time it was climbed quicker was Landis and Klöden in 2006, almost a full minute quicker.

Fernandez said:
Red Rick said:

Attacking from from your chair must be really easy

I'm not the one who had an opportunity to win. Quintana did. And he didn't try to take it.