• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
RedheadDane said:
Arnout said:
RedheadDane said:
Seems he thought he'd won the stage.
Was a bit confused when he was celebrating when crossing the line.

Didn't he just point to heaven as a thank you, he tends to do that. He was in a position to see Pinot cross the line so I doubt he thought he won.

There was an interview afterwards where it seemed like he said something to the effect of "at least I got the stage."
But of course it could be a translation error from the subtitle-people; my Spanish isn't that good.

he might have thought Hesjedal was the last man. Pinot was 40+ second in front of him. So he might not seeing him.

Weird thing is that I'm pretty sure the interview happened in the Mix Zone, which I think happens after the podium ceremony.
He wasn't at any point wondering why he wasn't being called onto the podium for the stage win?
Or wondering what Pinot was doing there?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Great ride by Nairo today, best ride of his career so far imo.It wasnt enough, but why thats for a longer post and discussion.

Froome won this Tour by being better GT rider, thats what Quintana (and his team, DS :rolleyes: ) needs to improve in coming years, but Im sure with such a monster climbing power, will and recovery he should be a legend i coming years.
Froome was simply better this time.But the life goes on for the little colombian :)

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Yep,,,Quintana really went for it today and almost pulled it off. What a shame he was not more aggressive earlier this week and he would be in Yellow right now. A great ride today and he knows now that he can defeat Froome and his a better climber over 3 weeks.
I would like to see Movie go for it tomorrow. No rules say they can't. Merckx tried.
ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK :D

Re:

sir fly said:
As I've expected, he's the best climber in this year's Tour. And he'd have certainly done better if he could.
I think Froome can't perform better than he did this year, so Quintana should be looking forward to the coming years.

Let's not forget there was only one 14km ITT this year which is slightly ridiculous really. There should be at least one 50km flat ITT in every Tour and that makes it difficult for Quintana to beat Froome even with his excellent 3rd week climbing ability.

Great show today delivered by Quintana.He really was stronger than expected,a worthy opponent for Froome.His still young and his time will come.Maybe next year Quintana will be on the first step of the podium and Froome on the 2nd.

JRanton said:
sir fly said:
As I've expected, he's the best climber in this year's Tour. And he'd have certainly done better if he could.
I think Froome can't perform better than he did this year, so Quintana should be looking forward to the coming years.

Let's not forget there was only one 14km ITT this year which is slightly ridiculous really. There should be at least one 50km flat ITT in every Tour and that makes it difficult for Quintana to beat Froome even with his excellent 3rd week climbing ability.

This tour was tailored to climbers, not TTers. Next year's most likely won't be. IMO having quintana and valverde 2-3 made for some really difficult tactical decisions for Movistar. Anyway, it was pretty obvious to me that Froome and Quintana were the two strongest riders. Froome hit his limit but he raced the first 18 stages as well as anyone could have.

I think he wasted his shot this year. Don't think there's gonna be many tours where he loses less than 1 minute in tt's, though he lost 2 minutes if you add Zeeland.

I just hope he realises his chances of winning the Tour de France are very slim if he puts all his eggs in the 3rd-week-MTF's basket

Ej6d5a5.jpg

YUcIYVz.jpg

b3XqFiG.jpg

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thats why there is my theory that he will do Giro-Vuelta doubles for years, till the right TdF route with Cime della Bonette(img) and less than 40km of tt comes :p ;)

2728329820_7cd6d161c1.jpg

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Red Rick said:
ILovecycling said:
Thats why there is my theory that he will do Giro-Vuelta doubles for years, till the right TdF route with Cime della Bonette(img) and less than 40km of tt comes :p ;)

That is a perfect stage design, truly.
tour 2008 iirc, the stage before that was pretty good also with Agnello, ..ohh yea great mounatins for a climber :cool:

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Very good ride from Nairo. I'm from South America too so I was supporting him! But, Quintana didn't lose the race in the crosswinds on stage 2, he lost the tour in all the 20 stages that we had so far. Froome was better, simple like that. Froome was better in 18 stages, Quitana was better in only two stages. Next tours, with some have ITT will be hard to Nairo, but let's see!

Re:

rafaelalencar said:
Very good ride from Nairo. I'm from South America too so I was supporting him! But, Quintana didn't lose the race in the crosswinds on stage 2, he lost the tour in all the 20 stages that we had so far. Froome was better, simple like that. Froome was better in 18 stages, Quitana was better in only two stages. Next tours, with some have ITT will be hard to Nairo, but let's see!
You're right. Every stage counts.
Next year we'll see... The Tour should be the principal objective, but with Tour de Suisse on schedule. It often favours less pure climbers and it's closer to the Tour. He needs to warm up his engine and there's no need for measuring up anymore

Poor guy. Hamstrung by a crummy team situation/body of tactics.

Still, the final two days indicate that he can overcome any deficit he may incur in TTs, so his chances of winning a Tour don't end with this climb-heavy edition.

Re:

Vasilis said:
I didn't notice, but did Quintana get any credibility questions? (Or may I not ask that here?) After all, Froome got a lot of them and today, he beat Froome.

There will always be some questions, but I think one of the the main reasons why Froome gets more heat than guys like Quintana is the arc of development--or lack thereof.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm very impressed with Quintana. Not only is he a strong rider, to me he showed a good deal of maturity regarding race management. I think he'll definitely win a TDF one day.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
Red Rick said:
ILovecycling said:

tour 2008 iirc, the stage before that was pretty good also with Agnello, ..ohh yea great mounatins for a climber :cool:

oh yeah, what a final week that was! and then carlos made the GC explode on ADH. lets start a petition for real mountain stages in TDF

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

malakassis said:
ILovecycling said:
Red Rick said:
ILovecycling said:

oh yeah, what a final week that was! and then carlos made the GC explode on ADH. lets start a petition for real mountain stages in TDF
YES!
it really looks unbelievable for tour this profile :D

TRENDING THREADS