• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some people says Quintana is not offensive. I always disagree, and he was today the more offensive rider and his team was the team who put more pace in the hardest climb of the day.

Quintana is not an explosive rider, he is more diesel, so he is not going to attack so easy like others, and his attack is not going to take some meters so easy as others like Contador, Purito, Valverde, Dan Martin, etc... but he attack, what he doesnt do is crazy attacks.. he attack when the best decission is to attack acording a lot of parameters that maybe just he or his teams knows.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
Some people says Quintana is not offensive. I am always disagree, and he was today the more offensive rider and his team was the team who put more pace in the hardest climb of the day.

Quintana is not an explosive rider, he is more diesel, so he is not going to attack so easy like others, and his attack is not going to take some meters so easy as others like Contador, Purito, Valverde, Dan Martin, etc... but he attack, what he doesnt do is crazy attacks.. he attack when the best decission is to attack acording a lot of parameters that maybe just he or his teams knows.

I'd like to know the calculations that said attacking in the last 5km of La Toussuire was a good idea lasts year

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Nairo showed he is in good shape, it's just difficult for him to really gain any time on these type of mountain finishes. And when he is in good shape the only time he loses (if any) are some 'explosive' seconds.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Taxus4a said:
Some people says Quintana is not offensive. I am always disagree, and he was today the more offensive rider and his team was the team who put more pace in the hardest climb of the day.
Just a friendly tip: in English we say "I disagree", not "I am disagree". ;)

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Taxus4a said:

I'd like to know the calculations that said attacking in the last 5km of La Toussuire was a good idea lasts year

The wind previous to Alp D huez and SKY.

Valverde has a problem as well when Nibali attacked.

Next day was a best day for pure climbers, you cant waste all your balls in an impossible attack from far. To attack at the end is ok. There was nothing to do with Froome. Quintana is and it was last year and in 2013 the best climber, but Froome was the stronger of the race. For Movistar was a very good result. You can ask tehm crazy attack for fans, but you must understand if they dont do.

CheckMyPecs said:
Taxus4a said:
Just a friendly tip: in English we say "I disagree", not "I am disagree". ;)

Thanks, my english is very bad, but I know that, so bad for me...I edit now. ;)

I guess it was a decent result. Movistar and Quintana had obviously hoped for something better, but tomorrow should be considered the real test. I think a top-3 should be his goal and possibly the stage, but it will be hard.

Vamos Nairo, glad to finally see him on European soil. He should be better in Pais Vasco and should ride a better Romandie compared to last year.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Merckx is right, quintana is very limited, he only gains time in very hard mountain stages, in stages with wind, with explosive climbs (but shorts) and time trials he looses time for rivals. So it's impossible to me, see where he could be a threat for contador or froome in le tour

Re:

portugal11 said:
Merckx is right, quintana is very limited, he only gains time in very hard mountain stages, in stages with wind, with explosive climbs (but shorts) and time trials he looses time for rivals. So it's impossible to me, see where he could be a threat for contador or froome in le tour

Because its all about the climbs in the Tour. He won't lose out to Froome and Contador on the ITT's and the last week is loaded with opportunities, suiting Quintana perfectly. If he is 2 minutes behind on Joux Plane, he can still win because he is that good in the last week on steep, long climbs.

Re:

portugal11 said:

In the mountains, he is the best climber. The second ITT he could even win le Tour as he did in Basque country ITT

He could pay in some mountains stages the plain, but this Tour hasnot a real long and flat forst week.

Quintana has lost today some seconds, in part becouse he was ambitious, but tomorrow he could put one minute to rivals who are today siilar or better in GC.

Quintana didnt lose time in the pave stage, Quintana can do very good ITTs, Quintana has a good team, he is the best climber, so he is obviously one of the favourites for le Tour, he has been second 2 times, and he is still young.

I think Froome is more favourite, but not a big difference, quite similar.

Tomorrow I will tell you if Contador is more favourite than Quintana.

Re:

portugal11 said:
The only problem is that most Tours are decided in the mountains. LOL. I can see where TT can affect him some, not a lot since he is not bad.

Now, are you talking about ITT against the wind with a punchy finish?

Taxus4a said:
portugal11 said:

In the mountains, he is the best climber. The second ITT he could even win le Tour as he did in Basque country ITT

He could pay in some mountains stages the plain, but this Tour hasnot a real long and flat forst week.

Quintana has lost today some seconds, in part becouse he was ambitious, but tomorrow he could put one minute to rivals who are today siilar or better in GC.

Quintana didnt lose time in the pave stage, Quintana can do very good ITTs, Quintana has a good team, he is the best climber, so he is obviously one of the favourites for le Tour, he has been second 2 times, and he is still young.

I think Froome is more favourite, but not a big difference, quite similar.

Tomorrow I will tell you if Contador is more favourite than Quintana.

Agree and yes, tomorrow will tell a fair bit, but lets not forget they have had different build ups and Contador should be closer to his maximum compared to Quintana and Froome

Re:

portugal11 said:
He gains time to froome in the third week but against contador he won't gain any time
Sorry but I just hate comments like this. Every time when people discuss about upcoming gt's there are people who bring up arguments like this. Rider A will beat rider B for sure because he did in any other year. Rider A is not as good as rider B in ITT's so there is absolutely no chance he can win. Rider A will without any doubt be better than rider B in the last week because he has been last year.
Arguments like that are just nonsensical. They act on the assumption that nothing can change. When people say that Quintana can't gain any time on Contador they only say that because Contador had good last weeks (actually the argument is nonsensical anyway because Contador has already had bad last weeks too). When people say that Quintana has no chance against Froome and AC because there is a ITT they only say so because last year Froome and Nairo both climbed more or less equally and they assume that there is no way Quintana can maybe be a better climber one year later.
Cycling doesnt work like that. Nothing is sure, nothing is given. Everything can change from one year to the other.

Stop the bickering guys, Pinot will win the TdF :D .

On a more serious note, Quintana gaining time on Froome at the TdF is when Froome has such a cushion that he manages time, knowing that every day gets him closer to Paris and victory. On the first mountain range, Froome bludgeons the GC. So the question is: can Quintana get the jersey? Where? The only way to beat Sky is to turn the tables. Take the jersey and defend it. Once Froome gets it, game over.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
There is something to the notion that Quintana has the best recovery of all top GT riders, but it's mainly based on two data points both of which are contaminated by the fact that Froome dominated those Tours and wasn't under real threat in the last week.

The other thing it's based on is his youth. But taking everything into account, I do expect Quintana to strengthen relative to Froome and Contador from the first MTF to the last.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I guess it was a decent result. Movistar and Quintana had obviously hoped for something better, but tomorrow should be considered the real test. I think a top-3 should be his goal and possibly the stage, but it will be hard.

Vamos Nairo, glad to finally see him on European soil. He should be better in Pais Vasco and should ride a better Romandie compared to last year.
Each year he's got pollen allergy at the beginning of spring so wait and see. Last year he was the biggest favorite of PV, however he struggled to win the GC and Izagirre finished on the podium.

TRENDING THREADS