• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 200 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
This is the Quintana we were expecting in the TDF. Good performance but i am not sure he can maintain it in the 3rd week.
Why? It's not like he cracked last year in the 3rd week. In fact, he could've won la Vuelta in 2015 barring sickness he had in the Cortals d´Encamp stage. But that's just hypothetically, which we won't go too far with. The thing he's mastered is consistency, whereas others tend to fade. Also, I think not going to Rio due to health issues was a blessing in disguise.

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Also, I think not going to Rio due to health issues was a blessing in disguise.
What disguise :D He clearly skipped Rio targeting the Vuelta. Perfectly understandable, except for the IOC, which is why he need a doctor's note so Jarlinson could take the start.

Quintana has shown great recovery so far in his career, but Chaves and Contador are probably fresher at this point. And Froome has the ITT to look forward to. So he needs to hold his mountainous ground against the former and keep gaining time on the latter. Not an easy task by any stretch.

Yeah, he really was a monster yesterday. He probably could've gone 10-20 seconds master if not for Contador overplaying his hand and sitting on the wheel for a big duration of the time due to being afraid of being countered - thats at least my theory.

I also heard people saying he probably was better than in the Tour of 2015. I'd like to see a similar performance to Covadonga on either Cabarga or preferably Aubisque to believe that.

Re:

TMP402 said:

Petty? For me he's completely right. I don't know if Froome rode by feeling or from the meter, but this is a larger issue. It makes robots of riders, making cycling itself more about data and numbers than actual racing - which during training is fine, but not races. It's becoming like F1, where numbers trump feeling. Banning power meters is a good step to making cycling more exciting again. Should it happen, then team radios are the next stop.

"In another intriguing comment, Quintana also revealed that he is weighing up a possible attack on all three Grand Tours in one year, as his teammate Alejandro Valverde has done this season. "At the moment I have other objectives, but it’s something that has attracted my attention,” he said, while Valverde noted with a grin that racing the Giro, Tour and Vuelta is not something he would repeat in 2017."

Interesting. He obviously refers to winning the Tour de France first and foremost, but if (when...) he does that, he could try a serious attempt. We will have to follow closely if he is at his normally best in the 3rd week after a demanding Tour - if he is, its possible that he can, say, win one and podium on the other two.

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
he sounds like a hypocrite , he doesn't care about spectacle
he is ashamed to say but probably he would like also flat ITT's , cobbles , crosswinds and descents to be banned.

Well, the main goal is to win La Vuelta, others debates like this must comin' second. It's time to take on next stages, the most important part of this race is comin' now versus big contenders. Froomey won't change his way of riding for simple entertainment, if he - Froome - thinks it's the best manner to be at his best, his choice must be respected. C'est la vie. Few riders do this, don't think that his own case is the case of everyone else...

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Quintana is right on this one but he can hardly complain about others not providing a spectacle

Hypocrite

This

I agree with what he is saying but somehow he has managed to make me like him even less.

I suppose someone getting towed up Mont Ventoux by motorbike is a spectacle though so maybe ill take that back.

Re:

Amnes2015 said:
he sounds like a hypocrite , he doesn't care about spectacle
he is ashamed to say but probably he would like also flat ITT's , cobbles , crosswinds and descents to be banned.
This.

(For the record, I agree that power meters should be banned in-race, but the reason why Quintana came out against them all of a sudden is pretty transparent)

Re:

sir fly said:
He should've brought up more solid arguments against power meters, if he already decided to complain.
If Froome represents boring power metric racing, and Quintana exciting, "on feeling", riding - I'm all for power meters.
Absurd.

Its not hard to figure out. Take away power meters and both Froome and Quintana are riding on feel and more exciting to watch. Quintana is following Froome as he knows Froome is relying on his PM to pace himself. No PM and it comes back to feel. Presto!

TRENDING THREADS