Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 311 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Koronin, they couldn't. They were being paced by Sky domestiques. And from those four I could only see one going with Nairo. That was Thomas. The others couldn't, even with the nice pacing.

And what about all the complaining that nobody can get away from the Sky train in the last mountain. Only applies to other riders and not Quintana?
 
Sep 3, 2017
914
0
0
koronin quintana suffer just a bad day on alpe due to the heat , and lose 75 seconds on stage one otherwise he would be on the podium ,he is a very good gt specialist with 6 podiums at 27 years he simply cannot win everytime and he is just 54-55 kg at the end of gt ,He is a very rare talent
 
Re:

telencefalus said:
koronin quintana suffer just a bad day on alpe due to the heat , and lose 75 seconds on stage one otherwise he would be on the podium ,he is a very good gt specialist with 6 podiums at 27 years he simply cannot win everytime and he is just 54-55 kg at the end of gt ,He is a very rare talent

He's 28. He will also lose time in the ITT. He also lost time on the stage before Alpe d'Huez. He hasn't WON a Tour yet. He won the two GT's he's won with some luck.
In case you missed it the top 4 in GC still have over a minute on Quintana AND are all better time trialists.
 
Sep 3, 2017
914
0
0
tour 2015 was lost because Valverde wants the podium and didn't do a gregario like Scarponi that's all

ah and tour of 2013 was also won by Quintana ,but that's a clinic stuff
 
Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Hugo Koblet said:
yaco said:
27km solo attack to win a stage in Suisse and then attacking early on a 14km climb to win a stage in the TDF - But i read he is a passive rider.
He's not really passive when chasing stage wins like today. Unfortunately, when it comes to GC riding, he's pretty passive.
He is fifth you know!
Sure, but what's a fifth place for him? No, today was all about the stage win. He needed to gain 6 minutes on Thomas, which he certainly didn't try to do.
 
Re:

RattaKuningas said:
Suddenly he is back again. I wonder what went wrong in the 2nd week because this was a lot stronger Quintana compared to the Quintana that we saw on Alpe D'Huez.
In the 2nd week he was still tired from the first? Whereas now everyone who was less tired from the first (the big Northern Europeans) is now tired from the 2nd week. Bernal is looking stronger this week too.
 
Re:

telencefalus said:
tour 2015 was lost because Valverde wants the podium and didn't do a gregario like Scarponi that's all

ah and tour of 2013 was also won by Quintana ,but that's a clinic stuff
Please stop talking about Quintana to Koronin. I am tired of her criticism and whining about him. Let's enjoy it at least for 1 day. Thanks. :)
 
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Escarabajo said:
Hugo Koblet said:
yaco said:
27km solo attack to win a stage in Suisse and then attacking early on a 14km climb to win a stage in the TDF - But i read he is a passive rider.
He's not really passive when chasing stage wins like today. Unfortunately, when it comes to GC riding, he's pretty passive.
He is fifth you know!
Sure, but what's a fifth place for him? No, today was all about the stage win. He needed to gain 6 minutes on Thomas, which he certainly didn't try to do.
I agree that today was about the stage win.
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
telencefalus said:
koronin quintana suffer just a bad day on alpe due to the heat , and lose 75 seconds on stage one otherwise he would be on the podium ,he is a very good gt specialist with 6 podiums at 27 years he simply cannot win everytime and he is just 54-55 kg at the end of gt ,He is a very rare talent

He's 28. He will also lose time in the ITT. He also lost time on the stage before Alpe d'Huez. He hasn't WON a Tour yet. He won the two GT's he's won with some luck.
In case you missed it the top 4 in GC still have over a minute on Quintana AND are all better time trialists.
It's fairly obvious to me based on your posts regarding Quintana that he is not in your favor. It appears giving him any credit is a painful task but going all out to defend Valverde is a labor of love. Maybe a bit of bitterness because Quintana has stolen some of Valverde's thunder? Wishing Valverde were free to ride his own race and Quintana's presence compromises those opportunities for Valverde to shine?
 
Re:

AlexNYC said:
I'm very happy for Nairo. You could see by the way he reacted afterwards that this win was very cathartic for him.
I just hope he gets his pre-Tour training in order because he's been struggling for the past couple of years. This victory will definitely be a boost to his morale. It's probably been pretty frustrating for him.
 
Re: Re:

Angliru said:
Koronin said:
telencefalus said:
koronin quintana suffer just a bad day on alpe due to the heat , and lose 75 seconds on stage one otherwise he would be on the podium ,he is a very good gt specialist with 6 podiums at 27 years he simply cannot win everytime and he is just 54-55 kg at the end of gt ,He is a very rare talent

He's 28. He will also lose time in the ITT. He also lost time on the stage before Alpe d'Huez. He hasn't WON a Tour yet. He won the two GT's he's won with some luck.
In case you missed it the top 4 in GC still have over a minute on Quintana AND are all better time trialists.
It's fairly obvious to me based on your posts regarding Quintana that he is not in your favor. It appears giving him any credit is a painful task but going all out to defend Valverde is a labor of love. Maybe a bit of bitterness because Quintana has stolen some of Valverde's thunder? Wishing Valverde were free to ride his own race and Quintana's presence compromises those opportunities for Valverde to shine?

Valverde isn't going to win the Tour just because the French climbs don't fit his style and he struggles with high altitude. The problem with Quintana is that he is a good climber, but he's not shown that he's a great climber for a couple of years and he's not gotten better at time trials. Thus making it even harder to win a GT. Ask Purito about GTs and time trials.
 
Lol @ who thinks he was let go. Nobody could beat him yesterday. Check his time and his power estimate, it's probably his best performance ever. If he's got these watts tomorrow he needs to go early, all of the riders ahead of him in GC can crack.
 
Re:

SafeBet said:
Lol @ who thinks he was let go. Nobody could beat him yesterday. Check his time and his power estimate, it's probably his best performance ever. If he's got these watts tomorrow he needs to go early, all of the riders ahead of him in GC can crack.
Tomorrow is a flat stage with two small cat 4 climbs.
 
I agree with some that he was the strongest yesterday and not just because Sky let him go, it was great to see him back to his best.

However yet again he is in a situation like Froome’s earlier Tour wins where he is best in week 3 but cannot be in good enough shape in the first 2 weeks. I don’t know what he’s doing as preparation, but it obviously isn’t working. How many more Tours is he going to be 3+ minutes down going into the final week?
 
I may be wrong and it sounds like a conclusion made in hindsight, but this tour is a rare example when a peak would better be planned for second rather than third week. although, nairo delivered another monumental ride, some build-up mistakes have been made once again.
 
This year was the first time he came to Tour with Dauphine or TdS as a preparation. It's easier to say that previous years have had non-traditional preparation. The only year I somewhat understand he didn't rode either of them was 2017 as he competed in Giro.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS