Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 317 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Froome has weakened the minds of everyone and made it again believable that you should do well in two grand tours. That is not the normal thing to do and anyone who does it especially
The back to back ones is highly suspicious or are the best riders of a generation
 
Re:

movingtarget said:
Quintana's future is as clear as mud. No doubt he is sliding down the pecking order. The younger riders are picking up not to mention the likes of his 38 year old teammate doing better.
I think it could be a situation where the sponsors really want him to be at Movistar (as in - are demanding he is leader), but the staff and coaches would prefer to support other riders.

Which has resulted in consistently sub-optimal preparation and questionable team tactics in the last couple of years. He should probably take the decision (and any financial hit) himself to leave.
 
Re:

hrotha said:
What you say it's true, but no less true than the fact that the red jersey shouldn't expect cooperation, especially when he has a better kick than the others for the finale. MAL is a small distance down and not as big a favourite on paper as Simon Yates, it's perfectly legitimate for those not in the leader jersey to leave that chase to the guy who has the most to lose, i.e. the leader.

Me, at the time I was thinking there's no way Quintana should pull. Either have Valverde work, or a better option, leave it to Yates before hopefully finishing him off with his own attack. The multiple GT winner thing cuts both ways - can Yates afford to throw away a chance like this when he hasn't won any GTs yet?
Maybe he was bluffing for them to come to the front and would have chased if they hadn't.
 
Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Escarabajo said:
Too early. Just attack early on saturday, put pressure on yates. Helping someone on the final climb isnt that useful.
He's over 2 minutes behind, and I doubt Quintana is now at a level that Haig amd Adam won't easily bring him back. A solo move makes Quintana useless. A move with another contender can get Quintana 2nd
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Kwibus said:
Escarabajo said:
Too early. Just attack early on saturday, put pressure on yates. Helping someone on the final climb isnt that useful.
He's over 2 minutes behind, and I doubt Quintana is now at a level that Haig amd Adam won't easily bring him back. A solo move makes Quintana useless. A move with another contender can get Quintana 2nd
In fact they'd probably let him go if he does a solo move knowing well that he doesnt have legs to make any big time gaps. Yates will probably focus on Valverde and Mas more than Quintana.
 
Jan 25, 2010
264
0
0
The quintana-is-better-in-the-third-week myth is destroyed now.

The quintana-worshippers are humbled now. Thankfully, we will hear less and less of them from now on.
 
Why support him because of nationality? I have supported him since 2012 (partly cause of team I think), but its pretty hard to at times. But I genuinely think that he is a pretty aggressive rider when he actually got great legs, unfortunately he shows that 2-3 times a year at this point.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Why support him because of nationality? I have supported him since 2012 (partly cause of team I think), but its pretty hard to at times. But I genuinely think that he is a pretty aggressive rider when he actually got great legs, unfortunately he shows that 2-3 times a year at this point.
There are some people on here who support pretty much every Colombian rider.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
Why support him because of nationality? I have supported him since 2012 (partly cause of team I think), but its pretty hard to at times. But I genuinely think that he is a pretty aggressive rider when he actually got great legs, unfortunately he shows that 2-3 times a year at this point.
There are some people on here who support pretty much every Colombian rider.
Fair enough. I think many people still support him after 12-13, regardless of nationality or whatever..
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
Why support him because of nationality? I have supported him since 2012 (partly cause of team I think), but its pretty hard to at times. But I genuinely think that he is a pretty aggressive rider when he actually got great legs, unfortunately he shows that 2-3 times a year at this point.
There are some people on here who support pretty much every Colombian rider.
Fair enough. I think many people still support him after 12-13, regardless of nationality or whatever..
Yeah, of course. I support him too, but he is not one of my favorites and I would not consider myself an actual fan. I've just noticed that there aren't many vocal fans on here, Nibali, Contador, even Froome have many, and the ones that I can think of all seem to mainly like him either because they're interested in Colombian cycling (e.g. Escarabajo) or a fan of the Movistar team (e.g. you)
 
I agree, we don't seem to have as many vocal fans which mainly comes down to him not really doing great and not being the rider we thought he would be, I think. But yeah, of course Nibali and Contador have more fans (wouldnt call me a fan of either, but I like them both and understand why they have so many supporters). Froome is a different case, him being british and all and catching a pretty big fanbase that way around. I don't think he has that many supporters outside of the borders
 
Movistar actually need to rethink their strategy. After the grueling TDF he was not going to be good at the Vuelta becos of tiredness. Valverde was useless at TDF but was forced to ride. A single leader at both races would have been much better and the other secondary rider would be able to help in the third week. Now all leaders have tanked in the third week and it is too late to help out. Compare that to Adam Yates being fresh and able to drive the peloton at the very end.
 
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I was thinking, do we have any real Quintana fans on here, not just ones that support him because of his nationality or his team? Raise your hands folks.
Hand raised. I'm a fan. I support him because I tend to like most of the "pure climbers". Yes he's going through a difficult period of his career but I'm fairly confident that he will right the ship so to speak. Also all the drama that supposedly exists in the team seems to be a figment of many a imagination, hoping for turmoil because it feeds their own ideas of what they believe should be an adversarial relationship among Movistar's three principle stars. The teams tactics and strategies are obviously flawed but I don't see any conflict that is on the level of what many here try to promote.
 
Best Quintana we've seen in the last two years was Giro 2017 when supposedly he was good for about a week compared to the Nairo we all think we know. Since then everything went worse. Maybe it's premature to write him off as a GT winner but with all these new kids in town it looks increasingly plausible that he will never win a Grand Tour again.
 
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I was thinking, do we have any real Quintana fans on here, not just ones that support him because of his nationality or his team? Raise your hands folks.
Before he got chunky it was very nice to ride in the mountains. I liked his style on the bike. And I have always been a romantic of pure climbing. That was the way I was entertained during the 80's. :)

I agree that I follow Colombians (sorry) and others but I try to be objective when it comes to them. The thing is that from the lot of Colombians Quintana is the one I support the most. For example I don't follow Rigo too much. I don't like his style on the bike and his only strength was the TT which he screwed up. So there is not much hope there. You would think that I would be jumping up and down for him during the Tour last year but I didn't really care that much. He only followed wheels and even if there was 1 second he never was going to win.

Now I follow Bernal as well. His style on the bike is too grinding. Not the best but like Cadel. But he could be the best in the mountains and you got to support that. Wouldn't you?

Just in case you are interested when there were no Colombians in the scene or at least as GC contenders I followed Cadel and Sastre. Weird huh. But in general I have always followed cycling even without Colombians.
 
Quintana's best GT was the 2015 Tour. He hasn't hit that level since and I think it is now apparent he won't. At this point I think he would be better off on another team. Similar reason that I've thought for about 2-3 years that Tejay needed to go to a new team. Sometimes a change of scenery and a different way of doing things will help.
 
Re:

Koronin said:
Quintana's best GT was the 2015 Tour. He hasn't hit that level since and I think it is now apparent he won't. At this point I think he would be better off on another team. Similar reason that I've thought for about 2-3 years that Tejay needed to go to a new team. Sometimes a change of scenery and a different way of doing things will help.
Yeah because Froome was at his peak then. I think Tejay is a different situation but changing teams was the best for him not that he had a choice at the time with the BMC chaos. I thought Pinot may have moved on as well but he didn't.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS