• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 388 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If we say the Froome era is the 4 tours Froome won:

2013: Quintana 2nd (4'20), Bardet 15th (26'42)
2015: Quintana 2nd (1'12), 9th Bardet (16'00)
2016: Bardet 2nd (4'05), Quintana 3rd (4'21)
2017: Bardet 3rd (2'20), Quintana 12th (15'28) (PS! Quintana did the Giro this year, finished 2nd).

Even if Froome didnt win the Tour 2014 you could probably say it belongs to the Froome era. Bardet was 6th, 11'26 behind Nibali, while Quintana won the Giro and crashed out of the Vuelta instead of riding the Tour.

I think you got to have a very strange view on things to say that they were on equal level. And even if you look purely at results 2+2+3 is significantly better than 2+3.
I think a bigger difference than pure results was that Quintana was often able to be a genuine threat to Froome in the 3rd week and drop him in a straight fight for pretty big gaps. If 2013 and 2015 TdFs had 4 weeks, Quintana might have won them. Bardet's podiums to me feel a bit like he got them because the other guys tried to beat Froome and he was just there minding his own business instead. In 2016 he got a podium because he attacked on one stage and nobody reacted and in 2017 he got a podium by 1 second over Landa. He's never felt like a genuine contender for the win, he got his podiums just barely, while Quintana was a genuine threat to Froome. I think he lost the 2015 on the echelon stage?

I think a bigger difference than pure results was that Quintana was often able to be a genuine threat to Froome in the 3rd week and drop him in a straight fight for pretty big gaps. If 2013 and 2015 TdFs had 4 weeks, Quintana might have won them. Bardet's podiums to me feel a bit like he got them because the other guys tried to beat Froome and he was just there minding his own business instead. In 2016 he got a podium because he attacked on one stage and nobody reacted and in 2017 he got a podium by 1 second over Landa. He's never felt like a genuine contender for the win, he got his podiums just barely, while Quintana was a genuine threat to Froome. I think he lost the 2015 on the echelon stage?
It would be interesting to hear from Sky/Ineos riders and managers from that time period, who did they see (as they prepared for the Tour) as the biggest threat to their Tour hegemony. I do believe they’d point to Nairo as a much bigger threat than Bardet.

It would be interesting to hear from Sky/Ineos riders and managers from that time period, who did they see (as they prepared for the Tour) as the biggest threat to their Tour hegemony. I do believe they’d point to Nairo as a much bigger threat than Bardet.
It's off season. Only on off season does a non-topic like gauging Bardet with Quintana lasts more than one post.

He had covid and his return to Europe will be delayed. He is very sick according to this link:

I love Nairo but I really cannot fathom how slack you have to be that after one year out you get an opportunity to come back to WT level and you blow your preparation by not being a tad careful.
In Colombia they have been very careless. You have to take into account the culture as well and his popularity.
Too late to cry over spilled milk. Let's see what happens.

Reactions: Elos Anjos
I guess Wout not wanting to tell the whole story of what happened:

So he doesn't want to say that he asked Quintana if he was taking Tramadol. I saw Quintana in the line and Wout going into his line and Quintana was upset that he wanted to break the line (I don't know if it was correct or not, TBH) so he pushed him with the elbow and then Wout asked him about his Tramadol use. Ivan Cortina heard and was very upset and you know the rest of the story.

I guess Wout not wanting to tell the whole story of what happened:

So he doesn't want to say that he asked Quintana if he was taking Tramadol. I saw Quintana in the line and Wout going into his line and Quintana was upset that he wanted to break the line (I don't know if it was correct or not, TBH) so he pushed him with the elbow and then Wout asked him about his Tramadol use. Ivan Cortina heard and was very upset and you know the rest of the story.
Or Quintana after being so many times "punched in his career" by Froome and sky, took advantage of this opportunity to get some revenge on wout poels because this time he was alone!

Or Quintana after being so many times "punched in his career" by Froome and sky, took advantage of this opportunity to get some revenge on wout poels because this time he was alone!
Didn't Wout punched a Colombian fan that was pushing Quintana in Alpe D'Huez in 2015's Tour?
There is some history there, LOL.
Or pull the glasses from an Italian fan in the Zoncolan in 2014?

Didn't Wout punched a Colombian fan that was pushing Quintana in Alpe D'Huez in 2015's Tour?
There is some history there, LOL.
I think it was Froome.

G1lVv.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan