Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maxmartin said:
I don't know, please explain.

Please stop acting like a ridiculous and over sensitive person. Q is my pick to win the Giro, there you have it. But that does not mean I could not criticize anything about him. What is the purpose of forum after all?
Probably I am little sensitive. I'll give you that. :eek:But never in a 100 years I read that Q was your rider to win the Giro. He is doing his race within his capabilities, just like Evans is doing his. We can not expect him to be a Pantani like in every climb. It is not possible.
 
Mar 9, 2013
1,996
0
0
Come on Ryo i need you to say Quintana is such a coward you said it abiout Contador before, of all people(the least biggest coward you could find). And may times you hve said same about Evans, Evans style is a grindy style, Evans is not really awheel sucker, he just does not attack as regular as the small pure cliimbers but one thing is for sure you would never see Evans with another rider that have a gap and not work.

Quintana may not be fully recoverd but every second counts and he coud have had an extra 10-20 seconds if he shared pace. Pozzovivo was working all the time i maybe wrong but did Nairo pace Pozzovivo atall?


That is why im torn who i want to win i respect them all, i would like to see Quintana win his 1st GT but today was cowardly i would like the winner to be from Quintana, Evans and Pozzovivo.:D
 
Mar 9, 2013
1,996
0
0
Escarabajo said:
Probably I am little sensitive. I'll give you that. :eek:But never in a 100 years I read that Q was your rider to win the Giro. He is doing his race within his capabilities, just like Evans is doing his. We can not expect him to be a Pantani like in every climb. It is not possible.
Who the hell said we expected him to attack from the base of climb every stage this is about not sharing pace it is completely different. If your on the limit the whole time then fine it is understandable, he did not look on the limit though he was his usual great style.
 
TANK91 said:
Who the hell said we expected him to attack from the base of climb every stage this is about not sharing pace it is completely different. If your on the limit the whole time then fine it is understandable, he did not look on the limit though he was his usual great style.
IMHO, he looked within his limits.

At the same time he might not want to help Pozzo gain time on Rigo. Speculating here.

To be honest I did not like the sprinting towards the end, just like I did not like Pantano not helping Cataldo more towards the end.
 
Mar 13, 2009
181
0
0
If Quintana wants to win the Giro he really should have worked with Pozzovivo to gain back as much time as possible over Uran and Evans. At the moment he is 'racing' against the wrong person.
Pozzovivo I think has a good reason to grumble over the lack of cooperation from Quintana and I don't think will be so accommodating of Quintana not pulling his weight next time, I think we'll see Pozzo attack Quintana and try to shake him off the wheel if he repeats the same ride. which may be counter productive in the long run..
 
Trev_S said:
If Quintana wants to win the Giro he really should have worked with Pozzovivo to gain back as much time as possible over Uran and Evans. At the moment he is 'racing' against the wrong person.
Pozzovivo I think has a good reason to grumble over the lack of cooperation from Quintana and I don't think will be so accommodating of Quintana not pulling his weight next time, I think we'll see Pozzo attack Quintana and try to shake him off the wheel if he repeats the same ride. which may be counter productive in the long run..
Unless Quintana truly believes that his main rival is Pozzovivo over the next week, if that is the case it could be very foolish as they still have plenty of time to make up, even if Pozzo has shown much better form in the mountains than Evans/Uran so far.
 
Pricey_sky said:
Unless Quintana truly believes that his main rival is Pozzovivo over the next week, if that is the case it could be very foolish as they still have plenty of time to make up, even if Pozzo has shown much better form in the mountains than Evans/Uran so far.
I agree - but Nairo was smart enough to let Pozzo do the hard work while he's recovering from the flu-otherwise he would have dropped him at the spot. At this point Nairo & Pozzo are well aware that neither Uran, nor Evans can out climb them, and having an entire week of brutal mtf to sort , is logical that both are going to watch one another ....
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
hfer07 said:
I agree - but Nairo was smart enough to let Pozzo do the hard work while he's recovering from the flu-otherwise he would have dropped him at the spot. At this point Nairo & Pozzo are well aware that neither Uran, nor Evans can out climb them, and having an entire week of brutal mtf to sort , is logical that both are going to watch one another ....
It is not really smart enough because he also needs to gain time unless he was really at the limit like he told Pozi during the race. Nevertheless, he is at a pretty sweet spot. If he can gain more time in tomorrow and presents his best during the third week, he still has a great chance to snatch this Giro.
 
Couldn't agree more with Parrulo.

Pozzovivo after the finish: "I did (light up this Giro). Someone else stayed in my wheels for 4 kms saying he was at his limit, and in the end he sprinted. If this is what a champion does, I don't know..."

:D

ALL HAIL THE NEW VALVERDE! Vomistar never disappoints :D
 
Mar 9, 2012
1,027
0
0
Nairo recovered just in time, he will claim this Giro next week.
Pozzo being an intelligent man, should know, why Nairo rode the way he did.
 
Jan 1, 2014
111
0
0
Nairo takes this step by step, and I think that's what he should do. If you are the best(and he is) the only way you can lose a Grand Tour is being stupid. Nairo done the intelligent thing yesterday just responding Pozzo attack, not risking anything. Next days he will take more risks and distance everyone. One of the biggest legends in cycling will begin in this Giro!
 
How can anyone say with a straight face that Quintana didn't wheelsuck horribly yesterday :confused:

Also, all this talk about there being plenty of opportunities left and all that... You never know that. Quintana (or anyone else) could crash, get ill (or iller in his case), or simply get worse relative to his rivals. You don't win a GT by always leaving the time-taking business for later, you win them by taking advantage of your opportunities when they present themselves.

Many peope seem not to grasp that simple concept. It's why Purito lost the 2012 Giro, or Andy the 2011 Tour. That you happen to like a particular rider can't change that.
 
hrotha said:
Also, all this talk about there being plenty of opportunities left and all that... You never know that. Quintana (or anyone else) could crash, get ill (or iller in his case), or simply get worse relative to his rivals. You don't win a GT by always leaving the time-taking business for later, you win them by taking advantage of your opportunities when they present themselves.
I totally suscribe to this. Do we have another Rujano in the making? I hope not.
 
hrotha said:
How can anyone say with a straight face that Quintana didn't wheelsuck horribly yesterday :confused:

Also, all this talk about there being plenty of opportunities left and all that... You never know that. Quintana (or anyone else) could crash, get ill (or iller in his case), or simply get worse relative to his rivals. You don't win a GT by always leaving the time-taking business for later, you win them by taking advantage of your opportunities when they present themselves.

Many peope seem not to grasp that simple concept. It's why Purito lost the 2012 Giro, or Andy the 2011 Tour. That you happen to like a particular rider can't change that.
^^ good post hrotha.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
hrotha said:
How can anyone say with a straight face that Quintana didn't wheelsuck horribly yesterday :confused:

Also, all this talk about there being plenty of opportunities left and all that... You never know that. Quintana (or anyone else) could crash, get ill (or iller in his case), or simply get worse relative to his rivals. You don't win a GT by always leaving the time-taking business for later, you win them by taking advantage of your opportunities when they present themselves.

Many peope seem not to grasp that simple concept. It's why Purito lost the 2012 Giro, or Andy the 2011 Tour. That you happen to like a particular rider can't change that.
good point some people just don't get it.

But in the interview, Q said he really wanted to work with P to gain more time, but he was at his limit that he could do no more. Hope that is not just an excuse.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY