• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RichieTheBest said:
there's nothing criminal to support someone, admire a rider, expect a solid perfomance from him, but when the only thing expected from him is crushing the opposition in the mountains and it doesn't happen for some reason.. either way, it looks a bit ridiculous.

No more ridiculous than your selected forum name for a rider who is obviously not the best by any stretch of the imagination.:p

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
What I've seen today is follow wheels + attack in the last 100m

icefire said:
One way or another, his riding style so far is worryingly similar to that of his teammate Valverde :p

With the gaps he's made today he needs 7 MTFs to overtake Urán and more than 12 to overtake Pozzovivo. He needs to up his game if he wants to win. :p

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I won't quote myself cause its childish:p,and Im never childish....(ok,Im sometimes....ok,quite often:D)
Kidding.

anyway,he just needs to follow wheels tomorrow,and then after rest day hit the best numbers :D
I understand,somebody dont like today's wheelsucking (me neither) but barring his no-confidence,you have to consider that its a GT with 21 stages and he is not in ideal position (3 mins down and ill) so he needs to ride smart.Attack when he feels he has good legs and gain time.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Quintana has clearly been schooled by Valverde :(
Or watched to much at Evans last week and copied his style.

Hope we see the old Nairito in the last week.

Dont worry mi amigo.You will never forget on 3rd week of this giro.;)

Quintana was obviously still feeling the effects of his respiratory illness today. You don't recover from these illnesses by putting your respiratory system under severe duress - no matter how special an athlete you are. He may well pay the price for today in the coming stages.

Parrulo said:
^^this

That dig on the last 100m after wheelsucking Pozzovivo for 4k was a pretty sad sight.
Whatever pleases your desire.

I just watched it and it did not look as bad as people put it in here. People are playing too much video games nowadays. In the past I have defended Evans and his riding because he was riding to his strengths. Today I do the same with Quintana while he recuparetes. It is not easy really.

People expects a Pantani like performance in every fricking climb of the Giro, Tour and Vuelta. It is really tiresome. Do you guys remember how he was doing that? Do you remember that???? I do. And I remember the way he was riding towards the end of his career. Nobody has said anything about that. Even Horner looked many times stronger than Pantani on his final year's of his career.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Considering what he has been going through, I thought Quintana rode a smart race. Wheel suck or no wheel suck. He needs to chip in the time as soon as possible, while he is slowly recovering from his illness. So today, he did just that. 25 sec for a not 100% Quintana today, is a good sign. Maybe 3rd week, when he recovers fully, it could be more than 1 minute for each mountain :D

Escarabajo said:

I just watched it and it did not look as bad as people put it in here. People are playing too much video games nowadays. In the past I have defended Evans and his riding because he was riding to his strengths. Today I do the same with Quintana while he recuparetes. It is not easy really.

People expects a Pantani like performance in every fricking climb of the Giro, Tour and Vuelta. It is really tiresome. Do you guys remember how he was doing that? Do you remember that???? I do. And I remember the way he was riding towards the end of his career. Nobody has said anything about that. Even Horner looked many times stronger than Pantani on his final year's of his career.

Agree. Quintana has shown that he is not afraid of attacking if he feels good. Today he was doing what he has to do, nothing wrong in this.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Escarabajo said:

Pozzovivo felt a different way lol

Pozzovivo gains time but vents his anger at Quintana at Giro d'Italia

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pozzovivo-gains-time-but-vents-his-anger-at-quintana-at-giro-ditalia

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Considering what he has been going through, I thought Quintana rode a smart race. Wheel suck or no wheel suck. He needs to chip in the time as soon as possible, while he is slowly recovering from his illness. So today, he did just that. 25 sec for a not 100% Quintana today, is a good sign. Maybe 3rd week, when he recovers fully, it could be more than 1 minute for each mountain :D

smartness=coward :eek:

Easy on Quintana,is he a wheelsucker all of a sudden?! He's getting back from illness, if he gets in top shape I would love to see Pozzovivo trying to work with him. Anyway Pozzovivo had a choice: just stop and don't tow riders that you feel are benefiting from your work.

He is certainly not a wheelsucker but that's what happened today and in the end he did a "Valverde" outsprinting Pozzo. Maybe he was not feeling in best shape, maybe he failed to see the opportunity to reduce the deficit more but then what was the use of sprinting in the finale?

Anyway, tomorrow, both expect to be again together on the attack. Problem is maybe Uran will be ready.

Escarabajo said:

Quintana comported himself with dishonor. Period. If he said he couldn't do more than wheel suck, then it isn't tolerable to jump as he did in the end. Of course he can choose to do so, but apart from displaying a basenss not befiting of his stature, he has now made an enemy and sullied his reputation among his colegues, which is never fortuitous in a grand tour.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Quintana has clearly been schooled by Valverde :(
Or watched to much at Evans last week and copied his style.

Hope we see the old Nairito in the last week.

Well he was dealing with allergies and the after effects from his crash. So due to those things I think he (rightly so) wasn't feeling too confident in his abilities. So decided to play it safe.

He's proven to himself now though that his form is there and he's recovering well from his previous problems. So I think he'll be back to the attacking Quintana we all know and love soon.

For the record, I'm no fan of wheelsucking, and do agree completely with those coming down on him for wheelsucking Pozzovivo. Happy that he gained time on others, but would prefer him to do it by attacking and working with others.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Is there a Colombian rider you like?

Because there could be a pattern here, you know?

I don't know, please explain.

Please stop acting like a ridiculous and over sensitive person. Q is my pick to win the Giro, there you have it. But that does not mean I could not criticize anything about him. What is the purpose of forum after all?

TRENDING THREADS