• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Well, maybe he caught a flu or something. I mean what has cough to do with pollen allergy? I have problems with my eyes, asthma and a constant flow of water coming down my nose but rarely cough.

And yeah, why antibiotics?

I have this + cough and headaches too.Asthma only few times tho,fortunately.
Still dont understand of antibiotics,maybe its flu like you mentioned.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Nah, his TT is better than I thought it would be, I think he is in quite good condition and may keep improving in the coming important weeks. In Monte Zoncolan the gap will be minutes.

if the pink jersey is cadel..maybe. But it's Uran. He is no slouch when it comes to mountain. It will tough for quintana to smash 3 minutes, he needs help from the other GC (if they have a bad day, then it will certainly possible). I'm not writing off Quintana, but the prospect isn't good now and it definitely becomes harder. This weekend will tell the story a bit more, if he keeps loosing time, it's going to be a tough race to overcome the deficit.

SafeBet said:
Well, maybe he caught a flu or something. I mean what has cough to do with pollen allergy? I have problems with my eyes, asthma and a constant flow of water coming down my nose but rarely cough.

And yeah, why antibiotics?

Someone with serious Allergy problems performing outdoors activities-in this case-high level/intensity exercise where the respiratory system is being used at peak level (fast & deep breathing) -"logically" it will be seriously compromised by all the nasty reactions & symptoms caused by the body fighting against the pollen inhaled, which is already "intoxicating" & weakening the immune system- so the outcome is "fever, body aches, runny nose, watery eyes, sore throat, headaches, fatigue--all those things combined when you're breathing fast can easily clog your nose & throat airways,which therefore is going to cause to COUGH......

The antibiotics IMO are merely used to fight the infection developed/caused by the symptoms, since he appears to lack a TUE, otherwise we would've been using an inhalator/spray to alleviate it

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
if the pink jersey is cadel..maybe. But it's Uran. He is no slouch when it comes to mountain. It will tough for quintana to smash 3 minutes, he needs help from the other GC (if they have a bad day, then it will certainly possible). I'm not writing off Quintana, but the prospect isn't good now and it definitely becomes harder. This weekend will tell the story a bit more, if he keeps loosing time, it's going to be a tough race to overcome the deficit.

Uran is overrated in the high mountains, especially back to back difficult stages. Uran is pretty much Evans style climber.

saneguy said:
The TTT loss of 55 secs is proving costly of rNairo! Thats why I hate them. Starting to look real tough for Quintana. 3 mins is asking for a lot and depending on just 2 stages for that.

You hate them because he lost some time? I dont mind TTT's at all, it's a really good discipline and brings the strength of your team into it.

Plus I thought Movistar had quite a decent team for that TTT and slightly disappointed, however the bit of time he lost in that was nothing compared to his loss yesterday although that was obviously more expected.

It's about time the most overhyped rider and climber in the peloton start to show some real balls and heart.

Months ago I predicted he wouldn't win the Giro, and everyone laughed at me. Now we'll see.
I hope to see real fireworks in the mountains, great epic attacks like there's no tomorrow!!!

Pricey_sky said:
You hate them because he lost some time? I dont mind TTT's at all, it's a really good discipline and brings the strength of your team into it.

Plus I thought Movistar had quite a decent team for that TTT and slightly disappointed, however the bit of time he lost in that was nothing compared to his loss yesterday although that was obviously more expected.

I hate it probably as the first stage. It skews the GC ranking from day 1. I like TTT as well but probably not on day 1 I guess.

Yesterday was indeed a big loss. If he is actually going to recover 3mins+ on Evans and Uran - that would be epic! :D

Pippo_San said:
It's about time the most overhyped rider and climber in the peloton start to show some real balls and heart.

Months ago I predicted he wouldn't win the Giro, and everyone laughed at me. Now we'll see.
I hope to see real fireworks in the mountains, great epic attacks like there's no tomorrow!!!

Its not his fault idiots expect him to attack on every uphill gradient. He's a climber for the high mountains. When the race gets to the dolomites you'll see plenty of 'balls and heart'.

P.s. i seem to remember quintana attacking on pretty much every climb in last year's tour of Britain despite them being obviously totally unsuited to him, but he did it to put on a good show and make an effort (and probably to keep warm as well lol) so dont say he's got no heart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pippo_San said:

Your posts prove to be more and more ridiculous.:eek:
(my lucky 7. on ignore list)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
saneguy said:
The TTT loss of 55 secs is proving costly of rNairo! Thats why I hate them. Starting to look real tough for Quintana. 3 mins is asking for a lot and depending on just 2 stages for that.

Don't forget he lost 49 sec or something on the carnage crash that benefited Evans. For now, he does have an uphill battle to overcome, and not to mention he is sick and has allergy issue. But hey, it's going to show us how phenomenal climber he is. :) If he overcomes +/- 3 minutes deficit and win the giro, the cycling world will explode and hail him as messiah :D... I'm waiting for his resurrection in the mountain...

Pippo_San said:

IF he wasn't Ill due to Allergies....:rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
What he needs to do is leave Italy, get better, and focus on the Tour.

Tour s:cks,lets win la corsa rosa:D

Seriously,there are 3 unsolvable problems cobbles,Valverde and panflat tt
edit:and we want him to do Vuelta no?

ILovecycling said:

Yep all very good points.
Yes we want him to do the Vuelta! I want to see him dishing it out with Contador, Rodriguez, and Valverde in the mountains! I'm really looking forward to that....Hoping they can all come in strong form.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
ILovecycling said:

Did you see the profile of the TT? It's not panflatt at all, it's a really difficult TT in fact.

However, i don't think it's wise for him to start the Tour. Don't get me wrong;)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Did you see the profile of the TT? It's not panflatt at all, it's a really difficult TT in fact.

However, i don't think it's wise for him to start the Tour. Don't get me wrong;)

I understand your point:)
In fact,I did not.I know there is a thread with updated profiles but Im not interested in Tour now,after Giro end I will look closely.
I think before it was officialy designed,people thought it would be panflat so thats why I wrote it.

Jspear said:
Yep all very good points.
Yes we want him to do the Vuelta! I want to see him dishing it out with Contador, Rodriguez, and Valverde in the mountains! I'm really looking forward to that....Hoping they can all come in strong form.

If Purito does the Tour along with Contador and Valverde then surely they won't be in good form come the end of the Vuelta? It's becoming even more difficult to back to back GT's. Hopefully Quintana arrives in form after a rest and he would then be a worthy favourite.

TRENDING THREADS