• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Geraint Too Fast said:
If Quintana's was really suffering he wouldn't be letting his rivals know all about it. He's saving himself for the final week, and this is just his excuse for following wheels until then.

Well, it's pretty safe to say it now, with the rest day and a few stages ahead were nobody will/can attack him.

Quintana says he's not feeling well, Uran says he's feeling well and Cadel says mostly nothing. Fact is none of them did anything notable during 11 days of racing. The gaps are done by a TTT and a crash. Probably The GC Giro starts tomorrow, then we can see more how they perform though in Quintana's case the high mountains will tell the truth.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
Quintana says he's not feeling well, Uran says he's feeling well and Cadel says mostly nothing. Fact is none of them did anything notable during 11 days of racing. The gaps are done by a TTT and a crash. Probably The GC Giro starts tomorrow, then we can see more how they perform though in Quintana's case the high mountains will tell the truth.

I concur...

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
We have to hope he is a pessimist,cuz tomorrow is the big day!

edit: he is still pretty inexperienced as of journalists and interviews,I hope we can figure out his talking strategy in few years :)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
He revealed that the high pollen count of the Italian spring has also been causing him some problems.

"The problem in my glutei muscle is almost gone, it doesn’t hurt me anymore. Now my problem is that I've got a bit of catarrh, a sore throat and headache. My nose is blocked too," he admitted, clearly not worried that it might boost the morale of his rivals.

Here it is,f:cking pollen:mad:
I have very hard times this year too,so Im not surprised at all.
Why the hell both of my two most favourited riders have the same freakin alergy like me...then it looks like Im choosing my favourites riders by my illnesses lol:D

ILovecycling said:
Why the hell both of my two most favourited riders have the same freakin alergy like me...then it looks like Im choosing my favourites riders by my illnesses lol:D

Last night was the first this week I slept more than 2 hours, because the freaking pollen finally went away. It'll be back soon....it's hell.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't a great ride by Quintana, but decent enough. The big thing I take from today's performance though...now he has to attack, and attack a lot. :D

Vamos Nairito! Go crush them in the mountains! :cool:

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I thought pollen allergy sufferers could get a jab now. Im sure it came out in the UK a few years ago. I know it sucks, i used to get it as a kid as well.

ILovecycling said:

oh, man:mad:

Sad to say, but with Allergies acting on him & perhaps not having TUE in place, i'm afraid he's DONE. :(

GIRO is no go for Nairo-at least this year & in the future unless he gets the Allergy issue resolved.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:

Sad to say, but with Allergies acting on him & perhaps not having TUE in place, i'm afraid he's DONE. :(

GIRO is no go for Nairo-at least this year & in the future unless he gets the Allergy issue resolved.

its not done at all mate...and if they will sleep above 1300 orso meters there is not so big pollen 'level'.He just needs to recover,sleep well,avoid crashes and then mountains crushing.
Of course he has to crush it big time considering Rigo:)

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Wasn't a great ride by Quintana, but decent enough. The big thing I take from today's performance though...now he has to attack, and attack a lot. :D

Vamos Nairito! Go crush them in the mountains! :cool:

It is pretty much his TT level on this kind of course. I actually think he did better than last year tour TT, of course the route is different.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:

Nah, his TT is better than I thought it would be, I think he is in quite good condition and may keep improving in the coming important weeks. In Monte Zoncolan the gap will be minutes.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
SafeBet said:
I live in northern Italy and, honestly, pollen hasn't been much of a problem in the past week (it was before). I'm highly allergic but I have no problem whatsoever.

Thats really interesting cuz Nairo looks to be in a serious trouble now,I mean really serious.

“It was a long time trial and I tried to hang in there as best I could,” Quintana said afterwards. “I wasn't as good as I had hoped. I had some problems with my breathing, not with my legs. I hope to recuperate in the coming days because the hardest days are still to come.”

The effects of Quintana’s efforts on the rolling course were apparent as he slowed to halt afterwards and took a towel and a bidon from his soigneur. Bent over his handlebars, he coughed repeatedly as he was pushed up the hill towards his waiting team car, and he was still spluttering when he was persuaded to turn back around and speak to reporters in an impromptu mixed zone just past the finish line.
“I couldn't breath well, it really affected me, and you notice that against your rivals who are in perfect condition,” Quintana said. “I am taking some antibiotics at the moment, but I hope I get through it, and I can be at my best for the decisive days - the idea is to still fight for this Giro.”
What the hell,antibiotics?For what,pollen alergy?what doctors work in Movistar lol:eek::eek:

TRENDING THREADS