• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
The thing is, Quintana put in one of the all time great climbing performances....it's just such a pity there are external circumstances he cannot control
Agreed.

My friends are upset that Colombians could be missing from the only chance we have in our life to win the Tour. We know that Nairo is a top climber, but there is nothing he can do but limit losses.

Nairo can only hope that recuperation helps him more than Froome

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Pantani Attacks said:
The thing is, Quintana put in one of the all time great climbing performances....it's just such a pity there are external circumstances he cannot control
Agreed.

My friends are upset that Colombians could be missing from the only chance we have in our life to win the Tour. We know that Nairo is a top climber, but there is nothing he can do but limit losses.

Quintana may be a top climber, but Froome is a much better climber. He was in 2013, and he still is in 2015.

SeriousSam said:
Escarabajo said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Agreed.

Quintana may be a top climber, but Froome is a much better climber. He was in 2013, and he still is in 2015.
Relax, I know! ;)

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I was hoping for more but this shows what Quintana's level is. It's high but he has peaked out his abilities. He isn't and will never be on the level of Froome or Contador (in top shape). I don't see him winning any TDF's in the future but Giro and Vuelta is certainly possible.

If Landa can improve his TTing I think he will surpass Quintana next year. It will also be very interesting to see what Zakarin can do next year.

I think he will win a Tour at some point. Once Froome retires. I am still not sure about Landa. He looked really impressive but his competition was weak (he gained only around what, 3-4 minutes on Contador in the mountain stages?). Will be interesting to see those two go face to face.

Re:

Metabolol said:
I was hoping for more but this shows what Quintana's level is. It's high but he has peaked out his abilities. He isn't and will never be on the level of Froome or Contador (in top shape). I don't see him winning any TDF's in the future but Giro and Vuelta is certainly possible.

If Landa can improve his TTing I think he will surpass Quintana next year. It will also be very interesting to see what Zakarin can do next year.

Hilarious post.

Quintana has been several times well above Contador, for one.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Quintana was clearly better today than he was on the first mountain stage 2013. In 2013 he peaked in the third week and if the same happens this year he could still challenge Froome given that Froome fades a bit like he did in 2013. Tour is still not over even if Froome has the clear advantage.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Metabolol said:

OMG

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Good performance from Nairito today, I expected 15secs loss but... it sis how its, he couldnt do better than this, the pace Movistar did was the best possible for him, but he is few watts below Froome, I think he will be in better form in next 2 weeks, but he is too much down on MJ...There is a little hope tho

At least do some show :)

Re:

Punkan said:
Quintana was clearly better today than he was on the first mountain stage 2013. In 2013 he peaked in the third week and if the same happens this year he could still challenge Froome given that Froome fades a bit like he did in 2013. Tour is still not over even if Froome has the clear advantage.

Was he better? In 2013 he went way earlier so hanging on was harder.

I am sure Quintana will be riding better in the 3rd week again and that Froome will likely fall off somewhat, but there's no way he takes back 3 mins unless something out of the blue happens :(

Given the big picture here, I think it was an acceptable performance. No one was going to beat Froome today, it was clear that his form is very good right now.

If Froome remains healthy, it's over. But the gap isn't big enough that a bad day for Froome can't change things. Quintana just needs to hang in there and stay as close as possible.

Yes we all know that nairo was actually good today but that doesn't change the fact that he was not good enough. In cycling it isn't about if someone is strong or not, its only about beating you opponents. If you only get 3rd you aren't good enough, point.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Eclipse said:
Punkan said:

I am sure Quintana will be riding better in the 3rd week again and that Froome will likely fall off somewhat, but there's no way he takes back 3 mins unless something out of the blue happens :(

Believe he was. Quintana was 9th on Ax-3 Domaines, the first MTF, 1.45 behind Froome. Today Froome attacked further out than he did 2013.

Punkan said:
Eclipse said:
Punkan said:

Believe he was. Quintana was 9th on Ax-3 Domaines, the first MTF, 1.45 behind Froome. Today Froome attacked further out than he did 2013.

Yeh but Nairo went 25k out in 2013 heh.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
What ,,,,he was a Carthorse ... Awful. You can't say that your happy with that. Porte beating him over the line :D

The so called greatest climber was shockingly bad, we expected more.
He should have rode for Valverde,,,im serious.

Over rated ? On todays show way over rated. He needs a big big win to get his reputation back. I hope he can do it. he looks lost ,like the race is to big for him. He's better than that I'm sure, I hope , ,,,,he looked like a rabbit in the headlights if you ask me when Froome attacked.