• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Visit site
ray j willings said:
What ,,,,he was a Carthorse ... Awful. You can't say that your happy with that. Porte beating him over the line :D

The so called greatest climber was shockingly bad, we expected more.
He should have rode for Valverde,,,im serious.

Over rated ? On todays show way over rated. He needs a big big win to get his reputation back. I hope he can do it. he looks lost ,like the race is to big for him. He's better than that I'm sure, I hope , ,,,,he looked like a rabbit in the headlights if you ask me when Froome attacked.
lol shut the fvck up :eek:
 
ray j willings said:
What ,,,,he was a Carthorse ... Awful. You can't say that your happy with that. Porte beating him over the line :D

The so called greatest climber was shockingly bad, we expected more.
He should have rode for Valverde,,,im serious.

Over rated ? On todays show way over rated. He needs a big big win to get his reputation back. I hope he can do it. he looks lost ,like the race is to big for him. He's better than that I'm sure, I hope , ,,,,he looked like a rabbit in the headlights if you ask me when Froome attacked.
You have no clue friend. Quintana was the only one today that didnt crack. He climbed at his rithm. I think he will maintain his level through the rest af the Tour and we will see how does Froome. Work for Valverde? I really like Valverde, more than Quintana, but Valverde will never be a climber like Quintana is. At the end of the Tour Quintana will be way far from Valverde in the GC.
 
well...... If things are set to be this way .. then we Colombians will have another podium to cheer for :)

Nairito won't give up and put up a hell of a fight in the coming MTF stages- at least he'll make the Alien breath a bit harder for his already won title (barring a crash)
 
ray j willings said:
What ,,,,he was a Carthorse ... Awful. You can't say that your happy with that. Porte beating him over the line :D

The so called greatest climber was shockingly bad, we expected more.
He should have rode for Valverde,,,im serious.

Over rated ? On todays show way over rated. He needs a big big win to get his reputation back. I hope he can do it. he looks lost ,like the race is to big for him. He's better than that I'm sure, I hope , ,,,,he looked like a rabbit in the headlights if you ask me when Froome attacked.

Wait, aren't you the boy who was saying he would beat Froome all year?

Also, the lad who is saying it was one of the finest performances of all time needs to give his head a wobble, it wasn't even Quintana's best performance of all time.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
3
0
Visit site
Time is on Quintana's side, and he may well get stronger relative to Froome as this Tour goes on, and in future Tours. His chances of winning a Tour in his career are still very good.

But even with him being only 25 years old, I wonder whether his very best climbing will ever be a full minute quicker for today's climb than it is now. Seems hard to believe.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
3
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

Yes, Contador and Nibali are way off their best of 2014. But Geraint Thomas climbing as well as he did today whilst ealier beating Sagan and Stybar in classics, is, to put it mildly... a huge testament to his Mercxian talent.
 
Jul 12, 2013
981
0
0
Visit site
Quintana's performance today was not good at all IMO. I expected more from him.
He lost 64 seconds in 6.4 km i.e 10 seconds per km, and the gradients of those last 6.4km are really average (8 6 3.5 5.5 5.1 7.1). Considering Ax3 last 5 km are much harder gradient-wise and the facts that it was preceded by Port de Pailheres and that Quintana was alone in the wind in Pailheres ascent and descent, Quintana's performance today doesn't differ that much from Ax3 Domaines 2013.
 
Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
Yes, Contador and Nibali are way off their best of 2014. But Geraint Thomas climbing as well as he did today whilst ealier beating Sagan and Stybar in classics, is, to put it mildly... a huge testament to his Mercxian talent.
Very good rider, but he must demostrate he is as good as Valverde, who has a similar story. Valverde has not experience for the Cobbles, but he has the potencial of Thomas, no doubt of that, maybe better.

Merkx? Are you joking? he is complete and talented rider, but no so good, by far...
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
ray j willings said:
What ,,,,he was a Carthorse ... Awful. You can't say that your happy with that. Porte beating him over the line :D

The so called greatest climber was shockingly bad, we expected more.
He should have rode for Valverde,,,im serious.

Over rated ? On todays show way over rated. He needs a big big win to get his reputation back. I hope he can do it. he looks lost ,like the race is to big for him. He's better than that I'm sure, I hope , ,,,,he looked like a rabbit in the headlights if you ask me when Froome attacked.
lol shut the fvck up :eek:

I will not" shut the fvck up" It's no good getting angry at me because Froome and Porte made Quintana look 2nd rate. The truth is that today Quintana was not good enough and if he wants to win this tour and prove he his a great climber he need's to get better. FACT.
 
Re:

Ataraxus said:
Quintana's performance today was not good at all IMO. I expected more from him.
He lost 64 seconds in 6.4 km i.e 10 seconds per km, and the gradients of those last 6.4km are really average (8 6 3.5 5.5 5.1 7.1). Considering Ax3 last 5 km are much harder gradient-wise and the facts that it was preceded by Port de Pailheres and that Quintana was alone in the wind in Pailheres ascent and descent, Quintana's performance today doesn't differ that much from Ax3 Domaines 2013.
But today was the worst mountain stage for Quintana, and compared to pure climbers, the best for Froome, and Quintana losed time in the soft part of the climb as you say, so he must be optimistic. Today Froome put a minute on him, but he can put one minute other day.

Anyway Quintana was the second favourite in this tour, always Froome the first.
the only good thing for Quintana today is that the climb was hard, but no enough to be just after first long week...
this stage at the end of Pyrinees and Quintana is with Froome.
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Visit site
Fernandez said:
ray j willings said:
What ,,,,he was a Carthorse ... Awful. You can't say that your happy with that. Porte beating him over the line :D

The so called greatest climber was shockingly bad, we expected more.
He should have rode for Valverde,,,im serious.

Over rated ? On todays show way over rated. He needs a big big win to get his reputation back. I hope he can do it. he looks lost ,like the race is to big for him. He's better than that I'm sure, I hope , ,,,,he looked like a rabbit in the headlights if you ask me when Froome attacked.
You have no clue friend. Quintana was the only one today that didnt crack. He climbed at his rithm. I think he will maintain his level through the rest af the Tour and we will see how does Froome. Work for Valverde? I really like Valverde, more than Quintana, but Valverde will never be a climber like Quintana is. At the end of the Tour Quintana will be way far from Valverde in the GC.

No clue. You mean pointing out the truth about todays stage.
I hope Quintana proves he's a great climber and storms to victory and wins the tour , But today " I am talking about today" he got his arse kicked by Froome and Porte. That is not the performance of a great climber. If he does not step up he will lose by a huge margin.
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
ray j willings said:
What ,,,,he was a Carthorse ... Awful. You can't say that your happy with that. Porte beating him over the line :D

The so called greatest climber was shockingly bad, we expected more.
He should have rode for Valverde,,,im serious.

Over rated ? On todays show way over rated. He needs a big big win to get his reputation back. I hope he can do it. he looks lost ,like the race is to big for him. He's better than that I'm sure, I hope , ,,,,he looked like a rabbit in the headlights if you ask me when Froome attacked.

Wait, aren't you the boy who was saying he would beat Froome all year?

Also, the lad who is saying it was one of the finest performances of all time needs to give his head a wobble, it wasn't even Quintana's best performance of all time.

No, not me ...someone else. Check your posts.
FWIW I thought Quintana would be a lot better today ,,,still lots of road left.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
3
0
Visit site
ray j willings said:
Fernandez said:
ray j willings said:
What ,,,,he was a Carthorse ... Awful. You can't say that your happy with that. Porte beating him over the line :D

The so called greatest climber was shockingly bad, we expected more.
He should have rode for Valverde,,,im serious.

Over rated ? On todays show way over rated. He needs a big big win to get his reputation back. I hope he can do it. he looks lost ,like the race is to big for him. He's better than that I'm sure, I hope , ,,,,he looked like a rabbit in the headlights if you ask me when Froome attacked.
You have no clue friend. Quintana was the only one today that didnt crack. He climbed at his rithm. I think he will maintain his level through the rest af the Tour and we will see how does Froome. Work for Valverde? I really like Valverde, more than Quintana, but Valverde will never be a climber like Quintana is. At the end of the Tour Quintana will be way far from Valverde in the GC.

No clue. You mean pointing out the truth about todays stage.
I hope Quintana proves he's a great climber and storms to victory and wins the tour , But today " I am talking about today" he got his arse kicked by Froome and Porte. That is not the performance of a great climber. If he does not step up he will lose by a huge margin.

If "great climber" means being consistently stronger than a fully prepared Froome at Tour climbs, the last rider to do so was.. no one since his transformation.
 
ray j willings said:
Fernandez said:
ray j willings said:
What ,,,,he was a Carthorse ... Awful. You can't say that your happy with that. Porte beating him over the line :D

The so called greatest climber was shockingly bad, we expected more.
He should have rode for Valverde,,,im serious.

Over rated ? On todays show way over rated. He needs a big big win to get his reputation back. I hope he can do it. he looks lost ,like the race is to big for him. He's better than that I'm sure, I hope , ,,,,he looked like a rabbit in the headlights if you ask me when Froome attacked.
You have no clue friend. Quintana was the only one today that didnt crack. He climbed at his rithm. I think he will maintain his level through the rest af the Tour and we will see how does Froome. Work for Valverde? I really like Valverde, more than Quintana, but Valverde will never be a climber like Quintana is. At the end of the Tour Quintana will be way far from Valverde in the GC.

No clue. You mean pointing out the truth about todays stage.
I hope Quintana proves he's a great climber and storms to victory and wins the tour , But today " I am talking about today" he got his arse kicked by Froome and Porte. That is not the performance of a great climber. If he does not step up he will lose by a huge margin.

Froome yes, but Porte has basically had a week off. Quintana is second strongest in this race, Porte has done absolutely nothing up until stage 10, Quintana has had a very busy week
 
Aug 4, 2011
3,647
0
0
Visit site
Poursuivant , you really expected Porte to beat Quintana ?

Bertie we know is tired. Nibs seems to have fallen to peices but Quintana ? I expected him to win today or at least go mano to mano with Froome.
He his supposed to be the new great climber. He got beat by Porte. Do you think Pantani , Armstrong. Chicken, a fit Bertie would have got beat by Porte ...of course not.
Quintana needs to step up or he will keep losing time. We need a race.
 
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Ataraxus said:
Quintana's performance today was not good at all IMO. I expected more from him.
He lost 64 seconds in 6.4 km i.e 10 seconds per km, and the gradients of those last 6.4km are really average (8 6 3.5 5.5 5.1 7.1). Considering Ax3 last 5 km are much harder gradient-wise and the facts that it was preceded by Port de Pailheres and that Quintana was alone in the wind in Pailheres ascent and descent, Quintana's performance today doesn't differ that much from Ax3 Domaines 2013.
But today was the worst mountain stage for Quintana, and compared to pure climbers, the best for Froome, and Quintana losed time in the soft part of the climb as you say, so he must be optimistic. Today Froome put a minute on him, but he can put one minute other day.

Anyway Quintana was the second favourite in this tour, always Froome the first.
the only good thing for Quintana today is that the climb was hard, but no enough to be just after first long week...
this stage at the end of Pyrinees and Quintana is with Froome.

Seems like that mythical mountain stage that is good for Quintana just doesn't exist. It sounds like it would need 30km climb with 8% average, followed by extremely short, untechnical descent, followed by two more 50km climbs with similar grade. Then Quintana would finally show he is the best climber in the world!
 
Jul 12, 2013
981
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Ataraxus said:
Quintana's performance today was not good at all IMO. I expected more from him.
He lost 64 seconds in 6.4 km i.e 10 seconds per km, and the gradients of those last 6.4km are really average (8 6 3.5 5.5 5.1 7.1). Considering Ax3 last 5 km are much harder gradient-wise and the facts that it was preceded by Port de Pailheres and that Quintana was alone in the wind in Pailheres ascent and descent, Quintana's performance today doesn't differ that much from Ax3 Domaines 2013.
But today was the worst mountain stage for Quintana, and compared to pure climbers, the best for Froome, and Quintana losed time in the soft part of the climb as you say, so he must be optimistic. Today Froome put a minute on him, but he can put one minute other day.
.

I don't agree with your logic Taxus. If someone is able to gap you 10sec/km in 5% in a mountain stage, he gaps you more than 10 sec/km in 8%
 
May 13, 2015
601
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

tristecsinamigos said:
Metabolol said:
I was hoping for more but this shows what Quintana's level is. It's high but he has peaked out his abilities. He isn't and will never be on the level of Froome or Contador (in top shape). I don't see him winning any TDF's in the future but Giro and Vuelta is certainly possible.

If Landa can improve his TTing I think he will surpass Quintana next year. It will also be very interesting to see what Zakarin can do next year.

Hilarious post.

Quintana has been several times well above Contador, for one.

Never a Contador in top shape.
 
Jul 15, 2015
2
0
0
Visit site
I think Quintana performed very well today, it was the first day of the mountains right off a rest day and as you saw in the race, the mountain actually beat everyone, not Froome. In tactics, Movistar held it up till the climb and Valverde did what he does best, disrupt, explode and attack to rattle everyone. Froome was tucked away as always by his team, which were following Movistars slipstream all day. Froome has incredible explosive power and he had that stored and ready to use. Quintana was the only one who could follow, everyone cracked (even Porte until he got a second wind). What I figure is, why on earth would Quintana explode and follow Froome knowing that tomorrow and for the next 10 days there are going to be climbs as big if not bigger? Froome physically cannot do what he did today on every stage that follows. Quintana and Movistar were smart to get Froome to expose himself and his abilities, but again, in reality, no way can he hold those abilities through all the mountain stages. I'm waiting to see more of Valverdes early mountain attacks and prep Quintana for his attack, which he will, and he will at Froome weak point. Quintana will gain time, there is no doubt about it.
 

TRENDING THREADS