• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

bala v said:
Miburo said:
bala v said:
Miburo said:
Quintana fans, i thought piti was gonna ride for him? I was being a genius denying this to ever happen heh?

And what's with this 3rd week being a god quintana? And the guy is riding for 2nd...

He's not? Really? Want to back that up? Did he done anything to harm Quintana and his team interests? Didn't hear complains from Unzue and Quintana! Maybe little mad because he chased your precious Alberto today? Is that it?

Well chasing contador was ***, that's a fact.

And did piti ever help quintana? Cause that what the fans said would happen. Piti will never ride for anyone, he just can't do it and there's nothing wrong with it but don't be in denial.

Why is that a fact?! He's following his team instructions, Contador is a threat for them and they don't want to give him an inch. And that's genius?! Well not by me...

Again, I don't hear any complains about Valverde by his team or Quintana, on the contrary only hear praises for team work. But you know better it seems...

Why did movistar close the gap? Why didn't they use sky to close it and thus weaken froome's team?

There's no logical explanation for this

Let's be honest, Quintana looks tired. Just like everybody else. Maybe they have raced the Tour too hard. If that is the case they need to start changing the parcours scheme. I am tired of the Tour backloading all the mountain stages.

I don't want to loose hope but the Tour is close to being done.

I think Quintana is doing his best but Froome is just too strong at the moment.He'll still try even if his chances are small for overall win.No shame to finish 2nd in Le Tour,he's still only 25 and has a lot of time to win more GT's.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Miburo said:
bala v said:
Miburo said:
bala v said:
Miburo said:
Quintana fans, i thought piti was gonna ride for him? I was being a genius denying this to ever happen heh?

And what's with this 3rd week being a god quintana? And the guy is riding for 2nd...

He's not? Really? Want to back that up? Did he done anything to harm Quintana and his team interests? Didn't hear complains from Unzue and Quintana! Maybe little mad because he chased your precious Alberto today? Is that it?

Well chasing contador was ***, that's a fact.

And did piti ever help quintana? Cause that what the fans said would happen. Piti will never ride for anyone, he just can't do it and there's nothing wrong with it but don't be in denial.

Why is that a fact?! He's following his team instructions, Contador is a threat for them and they don't want to give him an inch. And that's genius?! Well not by me...

Again, I don't hear any complains about Valverde by his team or Quintana, on the contrary only hear praises for team work. But you know better it seems...

Why did movistar close the gap? Why didn't they use sky to close it and thus weaken froome's team?

There's no logical explanation for this

Yes there is. Because Movistar spots are in danger first. Sky would let him go to 1-1.30 min, and then organize the chase, and they would keep him at that difference. In the end Contador would damaged Valverde and Quintana, Froome not so much

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Nope sky would not. Sky would chase contador immediately, froome still had dom up front too. There's no way froome would give contador any space.

Let Contadr burn himself

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Why he cant do 1 or 2 big attacks (sustain the high pace longer) instead of this 4 or5 'tryin' attacks, like WTF? Is this from Unzue or his head, I dont knoiw but like this he won't take a single second from Froome.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
That's your guess, I think they would not chase immediately. in fact I noticed that Froome didn't responded to recent Contador attacks himself, he always waits for reaction of others

May 13, 2015
Visit site
It seems like Quintana won't gain back one second on Froome. Froome will just mark him and probably attack pretty late on alpe d'huez and win the stage. Sky and Froome are too strong.

Movistar also made a mistake today when they chased Contador but I knew they would.

Froome has improved from 2013. He won't fade and it seems impossible to gain time on him anywhere.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Metabolol said:
It seems like Quintana won't gain back one second on Froome. Froome will just mark him and probably attack pretty late on alpe d'huez and win the stage. Sky and Froome are too strong.

Movistar also made a mistake today when they chased Contador but I knew they would.

Froome has improved from 2013. He won't fade and it seems impossible to gain time on him anywhere.
I think Froome will probably outsprint him for that win, I dont think he can drop him for good, but who the *** cares about Alpe stage victory, it shouldnt be a rider who is aiming for TdF win.(Quintana)
If Nairo doesnt try anything 'extra' till the Saturday I will be very disappointed as he wouldnt be that racer I thought he was.

Re:

Metabolol said:

It looks like it :( ...... The Alien seems too strong for Nairito. Perhaps he'd go for a stage win and secure Valverde's podium.

May 13, 2015
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
Metabolol said:

I think Froome will probably outsprint him for that win, I dont think he can drop him for good, but who the **** cares about Alpe stage victory, it shouldnt be a rider who is aiming for TdF win.(Quintana)
If Nairo doesnt try anything 'extra' till the Saturday I will be very disappointed as he wouldnt be that racer I thought he was.

Nairo is riding really well (my guess is that this will be his peak level for the rest of his career), I don't think you can expect much more from him. Sky and Froome are simply too strong. Of all the riders out there only a Contador in top shape and possibly Nibali in last year's shape could have done something. If you want to beat Froome in this shape you simply have to overwhelm him in the mountains, only Contador in top shape has a realistic chance of doing it.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
i still see two big opportunities for nairo to win:
toussiure stage ridden hard can provoce enormous gaps. its not about riding insane attaks and pass evreyone. its about NOT to get dropped in ANY stage. the selection happens from behind. just ride with stoa. today TJ out, maybe froome will suffer next? he was strong in june too
dont forget nairo is scalotore puro so he couldnt do that much on todays 6%.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Nairo is doing fine in the bigger context. He just can't beat Froome right now (and neither can anyone else).

Carlos Sastre was not on a podium of a Grand Tour until age 30 (2005 Vuelta 2nd), after which he took out 3 more (Tour 3rd x2 and Vuelta 2nd again), until finally winning the Tour in 2008 at 33. Sastre was a similar rider (profile) with a similar disposition.

This Tour is not over. We saw Tejay drop out (he looked exhausted Monday and pre-stage today) and there's always Bowling Ball Barguil still out there...Duuuum..Dum! Duuummmm...Dum!... :eek:

ILovecycling said:
Why he cant do 1 or 2 big attacks (sustain the high pace longer) instead of this 4 or5 'tryin' attacks, like WTF? Is this from Unzue or his head, I dont knoiw but like this he won't take a single second from Froome.
Again, because they are weak. If they were stronger they would do what you said. I can see that Quintana and the other riders look tired.

Re:

Metabolol said:
If Nairo wants to beat a Froome in this shape then he needs a Giro course including a climb such as Zoncolan and with very little TTing.

There is very little TTing and tons of climbing here.
Perfect route for him and there shouldn't be anything suiting him more for next decade (there has to be some balance between TT, rolling stages, mountains, right?).
Just not strong enough

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
ILovecycling said:
Again, because they are weak. If they were stronger they would do what you said. I can see that Quintana and the other riders look tired.
He planned to be the strongest in the 3rd week, I doubt he is more fatigued than Froome,Valverde etc because that would mean he timed his form badly.
I think its in his head.(he cant do an all-out attack, and thats what disappoints me, ...nobody cares about 2nd place when you havnt give it all FTW)

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
Metabolol said:

I think Froome will probably outsprint him for that win, I dont think he can drop him for good, but who the **** cares about Alpe stage victory, it shouldnt be a rider who is aiming for TdF win.(Quintana)

If he can't gain any time in the next two stages and can't drop Froome early on Alpe d'Huez, I think he should (and will) go for the stage win.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Quintana? meh.. overhype. Pretty disappointing today. What's this moviestar anywhere, but can't do anything to Froome. (instead busy chasing contador). His attack didn't even make Froome in difficulty. Even Nibali/valverde can claw back.

ILovecycling said:
Escarabajo said:
ILovecycling said:
He planned to be the strongest in the 3rd week, I doubt he is more fatigued than Froome,Valverde etc because that would mean he timed his form badly.
I think its in his head.(he cant do an all-out attack, and thats what disappoints me, ...nobody cares about 2nd place when you havnt give it all FTW)
Because he planned it does not mean that he will be. Far from it for many cyclists.
I was afraid this was going to happened. He just have to wait for a crack by Froome which is least likely.

TRENDING THREADS