• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 130 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I dont know if it ever was the plan to ride L-B-L, but Betancur has 'replaced' him. I say good move, it will be an extremely hard race and I think Nairo seems a little fragile in terms of coping with bad weather and such.

I dont expect too much from Nairo in Romandie, I would like to see a good ITT and a top-5.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I dont know if it ever was the plan to ride L-B-L, but Betancur has 'replaced' him. I say good move, it will be an extremely hard race and I think Nairo seems a little fragile in terms of coping with bad weather and such.

I dont expect too much from Nairo in Romandie, I would like to see a good ITT and a top-5.

172742_ee83f744-d188-4e53-9ec7-76f95701dd4f.jpg

I am well aware of the fact that he has won a few stages in horrible weather, but he was sick that whole Giro more or less or we wasn't 100% maybe apart from the ITT on Grappa. He wanted to pull out of that stage, Amador or Herrada said that, can't remember. He was also sick after Catalunya after the bad weather

Re:

Red Rick said:
Quintana is great in bad weather. I think he has more difficulty with extreme heat than rain, snow and cold conditions.

Im not so sure that Quintana is great in bad weather. Quintana has a tendency to get colds in bad weather, albeit he has performed great on some occasions. Maybe someone who knows a bit more than me about this can fill me in on this, maybe DNP?

Jspear said:
Valv.Piti said:

172742_ee83f744-d188-4e53-9ec7-76f95701dd4f.jpg

nairo_quintana_tirreno_adriatico_et5_g_2015_sirotti.jpg

114786-899-550.jpg
Fixed that for you.
Of course one can say that its just a coincidence that he won all these big races in bad weather and he would have done the same in good weather, but at least you can't say that he is bad in rain/snow

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Quintana is great in bad weather. I think he has more difficulty with extreme heat than rain, snow and cold conditions.

Im not so sure that Quintana is great in bad weather. Quintana has a tendency to get colds in bad weather, albeit he has performed great on some occasions. Maybe someone who knows a bit more than me about this can fill me in on this, maybe DNP?
He just got sick on that one time. But where he lives is rather cold. Not winter Europe cold but cold. At 3000 m on the Andes can get cold in the mornings. He is used to that.

Again, Im not saying anything definitely and the general consensus is and probably should be he is performing very good in the cold whether. Perdon me for not remembering, but I am pretty sure I read somewhere that he prefers good weather. Well, probably everyone does bar a few, but also performs better (in relative terms). Coupled with the times he has picked up colds, 2014 Giro, 2015 Vuelta (if I remember correctly, wasn't there a sudden change of weather after the very hot week, I'm not sure) and post Catalunya, I think Quintana is one of the more fragile riders in terms of getting sick and adjusting to cold, maybe also heat in terms of not performing as well when it comes to heat. I could be completely wrong, but thats just a few things I have picked up. Bottomline, he seems to pick a cold or some other sickness up more than most.

Again, I know we have a few Columbians on this site who probably follow Quintana more than I and thus are more educated. I am perfectly aware of Quintana has had some brilliant performances in cold, my mistake for bad wording, I didn't mean to say he was performing under par in cold conditions, rather that his health is more fragile than most

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Volderke said:
ILovecycling said:
I think we have little Columbians here :p

Columbia is the District of Columbia, or any other town with that name in the US of A.
Colombia is a big country in Northern South-America. Please get it right.
I actually tried to explain this to the poster I replied obviously :p
(with the "little" I meant "a few")

Hugo Koblet said:
rick james said:
ILovecycling said:
I think we have little Columbians here :p
You're not allowed to say little columbians, Froome the dawg got grief in last years le tour for saying something like that, expect a internet police chap at your door anytime soon.
And I don't even think that people from South Carolina are shorter than the average American.
Hey give me a break, i was just up for work when i first read it this morning :D

Re:

yaco said:
Reckon Quintana rides well in rain,hail or shine. When you are good you are good.
But you are not really trying to grasp what my point is. Quintana is good in bad conditions (relative to his competitors, I say he is better than most), but the point is that he has a tendency to get a cold AFTER the fact. I don't know if that's true, that he is more seceptable to pick up cold/other sickness, or it was just random since the sample size isn't too big yet, but its something to keep an eye on. And that could explain why he doesnt go to Liege which was my original point.

That was why I hoped someone, maybe with some insider or similar, maybe just an article, could join in either say that my theory is completely bullocks or I might be on the right track.

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Reckon Quintana rides well in rain,hail or shine. When you are good you are good.
But you are not really trying to grasp what my point is. Quintana is good in bad conditions (relative to his competitors, I say he is better than most), but the point is that he has a tendency to get a cold AFTER the fact. I don't know if that's true, that he is more seceptable to pick up cold/other sickness, or it was just random since the sample size isn't too big yet, but its something to keep an eye on. And that could explain why he doesnt go to Liege which was my original point.

That was why I hoped someone, maybe with some insider or similar, maybe just an article, could join in either say that my theory is completely bullocks or I might be on the right track.

Yours is an untested theory - Probaably one that has little or no substantiation.

yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

Yours is an untested theory - Probaably one that has little or no substantiation.

Whatever.... I just wanted to put it out there.

TRENDING THREADS