• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 169 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Ok, after watching the whole video, it doesn't seem as bad as I expected.
It's absolutely nothing. Just looks like he's balancing himself going past the scene of the crash, because the mavic car is taking up the whole road and he can't pass.

Classic case of a misleading photo.

Did others need balancing? No. No mater whether it was balancing or not, he was cheating. Plain and simple.

pablopaul said:
DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
It's absolutely nothing. Just looks like he's balancing himself going past the scene of the crash, because the mavic car is taking up the whole road and he can't pass.

The video is more damning.

https://twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673

Wow! :eek:

From the looks of it, it seems he is drafting the motorbike. No reason the even touch the motorbike. Aru is on his bike, Porte as well, Froome running with his bike. Mayhem on the road, but I see no reason to latch on to the motorbike.

Gloin22 said:
DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Did others need balancing? No. No mater whether it was balancing or not, he was cheating. Plain and simple.
I've got no idea if others needed balancing, or whether Quintana did himself. From that video though it's impossible to draw any conclusions about his motivation. You can't see what is up the road ahead of him, or if it was possible for him to move around the moto.

It could have been cheating or it could have been an instinctive reaction to get safely through a dangerous and very crowded situation. Certainly not comparable to the Nibali incident based on that.

I think it would be wrong and a shame if he gets disqualified.
But, ASO have to take some action as this is unfair to the other riders in his group.
He was lucky to be given the same time as Yates, he should get a 30seconds to 1 minute time penalty.

Aru didn't hold neither did yates or any others.

Re:

Popchu said:
The motor stopped, Nairo doesn't want to fall or to clip out his pedals, so he seeks balance. This is just one of the possible explanations. Yes it looks weird, but it was total chaos.
the moto is clearly moving with Nairo holding on to it (watch video instead of foto :D ).
wonder what Nibali would say about it :razz:

Walkman said:
pablopaul said:
DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:

From the looks of it, it seems he is drafting the motorbike. No reason the even touch the motorbike. Aru is on his bike, Porte as well, Froome running with his bike. Mayhem on the road, but I see no reason to latch on to the motorbike.

Security is the reason, look how close was the people and look at the risk to crask with the moto if brakes...

Oliwright said:
I think it would be wrong and a shame if he gets disqualified.
But, ASO have to take some action as this is unfair to the other riders in his group.
He was lucky to be given the same time as Yates, he should get a 30seconds to 1 minute time penalty.

Aru didn't hold neither did yates or any others.
Aru has already been fined yesterday for 'irregular assistance from a vehicle' or whatever they call it. Maybe they should make Quintana stump up 50 CHF as well.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
Walkman said:
pablopaul said:
DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Security is the reason, look how close was the people and look at the risk to crask with the moto if brakes...

Exactly Quintana was smart enough to grab something, fortunately it happened to be moving at the time and took him away from the others he was with. Poor Valverde was sprinting to catch back up

It was utter carnage out there. Sure he shouldn't have done it, but DQing him for that would be ridiculous. If there's footage that shows him taking that tow for a while longer then sure, action needs to be taken. But 5 seconds to clip in is nothing

The same posters who attacking Nairo for this would be very accepting if it was Froome or Contador in this scenario, and also true that there would be a forum meltdown if Froome had been in this situation

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:
He even does it so casually, quintana does everything to win a race except actually attacking.

Maximising his chances of winning, he should never have attacked in the first place. You know that, but obviously still can't resist to throw it out there.

What you call an attack...He didn't drop one skyborg, even contador 2013 could have done a better attack

Miburo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:
He even does it so casually, quintana does everything to win a race except actually attacking.

Maximising his chances of winning, he should never have attacked in the first place. You know that, but obviously still can't resist to throw it out there.

What you call an attack...He didn't drop one skyborg, even contador 2013 could have done a better attack

You are just being ignorant as usual now, get over it.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I think due to the amount of excuses there could be, who it is and the fact ASO don't want more negative headlines, Quintana will be fined that's it. Can't see Movistar protesting about yesterday's decision any more either

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Did he drop a skyborg? did he even drop a few riders with that attack?

I'm talking pure facts mate. Now let's hope ASO DQ's him, and we might get a good vuelta although Contador will crush the little lad anyways

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

DBotero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
This is pretty damning

10hpzpy.png

WTF is Nairo doing?

WTF :eek: This time at least the neutral service was helpful.
Wow moto colombian climber.Very smart but still Vlaverde brought him to finish.

Re:

Miburo said:

I'm talking pure facts mate. Now let's hope ASO DQ's him, and we might get a good vuelta although Contador will crush the little lad anyways

If he had, he would have paid even more for it. _______________/ doesn't offer much for an attacker. Either you're the strongest or you have to defend.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
It was utter carnage out there. Sure he shouldn't have done it, but DQing him for that would be ridiculous. If there's footage that shows him taking that tow for a while longer then sure, action needs to be taken. But 5 seconds to clip in is nothing

The same posters who attacking Nairo for this would be very accepting if it was Froome or Contador in this scenario, and also true that there would be a forum meltdown if Froome had been in this situation

Ridiculous generalisation is ridiculous.

King Boonen said:
PremierAndrew said:

Ridiculous generalisation is ridiculous.

Not true for all, but certainly true for some of the posters here

Valv.Piti said:
Oliwright said:
Valv.Piti said:
Oliwright said:
If Quintana Wins the tour by 20 seconds won't you feel cheated?

Ehm, no.

lol...good morals!

Dude, look at the video. Its not that bad, at all.

Quintana gained the most from yesterday.
Froome, Porte and Mollema would have taken much more time if they hadn't been forced into crash.

He was behind after Yates attacked before the crash.
The crash held yates up and left him catch up.

He then held onto a motor bike, which under normal circumstances is a time penalty or disqualification.

He also lost 7 seconds in the final 1km after the crash. Which was discounted...

So yes I would feel cheated if Quintana won by less than 20 seconds.
The fact that they complained at the decision yesterday was not sporting.

If Quintana and Froome's situations were reversed you wouldn't be on Froomes side.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Miburo said:

If he had, he would have paid even more for it. _______________/ doesn't offer much for an attacker. Either you're the strongest or you have to defend.

The previous stages provided many chances to attack, just like in last years tour but Quintana was too calculated/afraid to do so.

TRENDING THREADS