• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 173 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

djpbaltimore said:
Sunday looks like the best day to try to upset the race status quo. There is an easy stage on Monday and then the rest day. Valverde and Quintana need to force the penultimate climb and isolate Froome. They also need a strong guy like Izaguirre in the break who can drop back and drive the pace until the final climb. What we observed during Froome's Ventoux meltdown is that he can sometimes make weird decisions under pressure. If he is alone with Valverde, Porte, Quintana, Mollema, and Yates, maybe he burns himself out following every attack and loses a big chunk of time. Unlikely to happen of course.

You know, if they were to try this on Froome, why wouldn't he just ignore it and let some of the other top GC riders go after them and pull them back? It seems to me they would be pretty keen to not let Valverde or Quintana gain any more time on them. If Froome then did lose a bit of time to all of them, he'd still have another climb to pull some of it back. That is if Mollema didn't get into that chasedown though, as he is the closest one to Froome, then the GC time drops off another minute after him.

I don't see that Froome needs to chase them down until late in a the final climb of the day.

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Vroome.exe said:
We can't blame the real ninja of this tour for doing his things. Still to reach top 10 in a stage!

I had to check it! I didn't even believe it at first. Quintana wasn't in top10 in any stage yet in this TdF. He moved up wheelsucking to another level...

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
We have to pray for 2015 legs, if he is worse, then its game over.
I wonder if Movistar will try something on Colombiere, ...imo it will be very tough considering Nairo's predictable racing style and Movistar bad performance at this Tour

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So far Quintana is the biggest hype rider up to this point. As I kept saying, when the media and the fans start to talk up so and so versus so and so. Some one form those two "NEVER" shows up. Quintana was touted to be Froome's clash of Titans on TDF. So far, it's cricket from Quintana. First, in the downhill. Then Arcalis. Next, the crosswind. Later Ventoux. Then this. ITT. He's been passive all week just to bleed more times. Now he is back where he was last year. Only better by few seconds. He is no better than the rest of the GC. Very disappointing. I expected Quintana to have a ball to attack. Now, I'm not convinced that he has a better form than last year. Even, Valverde is riding stronger considering he has the Giro leg.

He took a tow. Pretty blatant, too.

Then again if they actually enforced the rules they'd have to kick Froome, Quintana, and Aru out of the tour.

I for one would love to see guys like Mollema, Yates, Porte, and Van Garderen fight it out for the victory but it seems that I'm in a very small minority.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
3 years ago, everyone said that this little man would become the new pantani. Now, he is only beaten by gerrans and porte in "the most hated rider" category.
I don't like him, he is too passive for a pure climber (he is only "great" in long climbs. So he is a limited rider)

So far, Nairo has been disaspoitng, had expected a timeloss at this point at max 2 ,minutes, considering the route and all. And I cant even spell

No excuses like the Contador lovahs. Froome is much better so far. No off year, no bad prep. We are all human

COME ON NAIRITO, we still believe <3.

Re:

BigMac said:
As far as him being overrated, blame the fans. Not his fault.

Not that I really think he's overrated, he's sub par at the moment.

His fans? Nairo has performanced below expectations. He was more or less on par with Froome going into the Pyrenees, but he simply didn't have it, in the Pyrenees or these very hard days. For some reasons I can't explain. Maybe he can, maybe he can't either? There is no shame in it, but Froome is simply a monster and Quintana has disappointed. SO FAR.

Long way to go. Stage 17 is tailor made for Quintana, if he doesnt gap Froome with at least 1 minute, it will be very fricking hard. Which is very unlikely, looking at him now. But we still obviously believe.

The saddest thing about this tour so far for nairo is that froome seems to be anything but unbeatable. Okay the TT was strong but who would have expected that the remaining disadvantage is there because he was dropped by mollema on the ventoux, a descent attack by froome and the strangest crosswind attack ever. In normal circumstances he still should have had the same time as froome before today but now he is in the exact same situation as last year just with a worse shape.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:

His fans? Nairo has performanced below expectations. He was more or less on par with Froome going into the Pyrenees, but he simply didn't have it, in the Pyrenees or these very hard days. For some reasons I can't explain. Maybe he can, maybe he can't either? There is no shame in it, but Froome is simply a monster and Quintana has disappointed. SO FAR.

Long way to go. Stage 17 is tailor made for Quintana, if he doesnt gap Froome with at least 1 minute, it will be very fricking hard. Which is very unlikely, looking at him now. But we still obviously believe.

My post had two sentences. Either you ignored the last one or misunderstood the whole thing. ;)

BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:

My post had two sentences. Either you ignored the last one or misunderstood the whole thing. ;)

I didn't read your last sentence, my post was premature, my apologies. But he is indeed very sub par so far. And this most annoying thing is we really don't know why, but at least sceptics as you will be silenced to some degree after the missing attack in Andorra

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site

Sartorius said:
Vroome.exe said:
We can't blame the real ninja of this tour for doing his things. Still to reach top 10 in a stage!

I had to check it! I didn't even believe it at first. Quintana wasn't in top10 in any stage yet in this TdF. He moved up wheelsucking to another level...

The man deserves nothing from this tour as he has contributed nothing to it...to think he has yet to finish top 10 in a stage is incredible. On long stages mountain stages with multiple climbs Quintana can be pretty awesome but in reality he is pretty limited as riders go...Froome is superior in all the other disciplines of cycling, except maybe when holding onto passing motos!!!

Cycling1984 said:
Sartorius said:
Vroome.exe said:

The man deserves nothing from this tour as he has contributed nothing to it...to think he has yet to finish top 10 in a stage is incredible. On long stages mountain stages with multiple climbs Quintana can be pretty awesome but in reality he is pretty limited as riders go...Froome is superior in all the other disciplines of cycling, except maybe when holding onto passing motos!!!

He pretty much is. Froome is a better rider on the flat, downhills, ITTs, hills etc, so Nairo obviously needs to be a whole lot stronger in the mountains, especially in the 3rd week.... but I think Froome will succeed in limiting his losses or even gap him further.

May have been the wind which has drained him this much, I dno. He looked perfectly fine in Arcalis.

Re:

staubsauger said:
This goof should be disqualified for blatant cheating just like he should've been at the 2014 Giro for ignoring the race director's instructions! He was not directly involved in the crash so there ain't any legitimacy to take a tow from the moto.

Once again we have folks making up their own stories and treating them as fact. In that year's Giro the red flag the moto rider was waving was a message to the riders to proceed with caution due to the weather conditions on the mountain descents. The fact that was not clearly communicated wasn't the fault of Quintana or any of the other riders. Quintana and others continued to race while some decided to take the conditions as an opportunity to bundle up for the chilly descent. When there is doubt and uncertainty one should continue racing otherwise you are left with a deficit that can't be made up.

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Cycling1984 said:
Sartorius said:
Vroome.exe said:

He pretty much is. Froome is a better rider on the flat, downhills, ITTs, hills etc, so Nairo obviously needs to be a whole lot stronger in the mountains, especially in the 3rd week.... but I think Froome will succeed in limiting his losses or even gap him further.

May have been the wind which has drained him this much, I dno. He looked perfectly fine in Arcalis.

The wind hasn't helped him but still looks to be a notch below 2015, I think his lack of ambition and waiting for week 3 is pissing people off(it has with me anyway). He should of tried something on Arcalis and bar he has a miracle last week, he deserves very little from this race

Quintana's whole standing is based on his climbing, not attacking on Arcalis is criminal for us, the detached observers, but he might've been in a world of trouble. The problem is: if you are Quintana, and you are lookin At the TDF before you get there, what days do you see yourself taking ttime on Froome? They have put so much emphasis on being within 1" of Froome going into the Alps, it just doesn't work like that. I am not saying it is easy because Froome is obviously very strong on virtually every terrain, but Quintana has one strength: climbing, therefore go for the kill uphill.

But again, I am loath to criticise riders for this, because what we never consider is the very, very basic fact: maybe Quintana just hasn't had it in him this year to attack. He looked cooked on Ventoux to be fair.

I'm thinking that, like Pinot, he's suffering from some type of illness that has yet to be diagnosed or discovered. I can't think of any other reason that he would be performing so far below expectations. Ultimately I think it's a lost cause for the forseeable future that Froome will be challenged at the Tour. No one is on the horizon that has the potential to make him or his juggernaut of a team sweat at all. It doesn't bode well from fans entertainment perspective unless you're a Froome/ Sky fan. His team has deep pockets. He's strong in every discipline that is important in being a gc contender. Quintana is just overmatched. There is no shame in that.

TRENDING THREADS