• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 174 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:
What excuses? The man crashed and had breaks in his leg. Don't be pathetic

2011, 2013, 2015. Blah, blah, blah. Off year, Giro, crashes, whatever. Froome is better, unfortunately.

Haha the only 2 legit excuses for failing in the tour is giro and crashes.

It happened 4 times to Contador. And 2013 was a terrible year, it happens to every athlete.

At this point you're just pathetic, no arguments. Prob mad cause you know quintana isn't gonna win this tour.

Re:

Angliru said:
I'm thinking that, like Pinot, he's suffering from some type of illness that has yet to be diagnosed or discovered. I can't think of any other reason that he would be performing so far below expectations. Ultimately I think it's a lost cause for the forseeable future that Froome will be challenged at the Tour. No one is on the horizon that has the potential to make him or his juggernaut of a team sweat at all. It doesn't bode well from fans entertainment perspective unless you're a Froome/ Sky fan. His team has deep pockets. He's strong in every discipline that is important in being a gc contender. Quintana is just overmatched. There is no shame in that.

Maybe sickness, but I am leaning more towards the echelons racing taking too much out of him. Now just gotta get as easily through until the Alps, but it might be some sickness of some sort.

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Poursuivant said:
Quintana's whole standing is based on his climbing, not attacking on Arcalis is criminal for us, the detached observers, but he might've been in a world of trouble. The problem is: if you are Quintana, and you are lookin At the TDF before you get there, what days do you see yourself taking ttime on Froome? They have put so much emphasis on being within 1" of Froome going into the Alps, it just doesn't work like that. I am not saying it is easy because Froome is obviously very strong on virtually every terrain, but Quintana has one strength: climbing, therefore go for the kill uphill.

But again, I am loath to criticise riders for this, because what we never consider is the very, very basic fact: maybe Quintana just hasn't had it in him this year to attack. He looked cooked on Ventoux to be fair.

Maybe he'll finish strongly in week 3...On stage 9 when Contador abandoned he tried to get into the break, showing some great heart and he was deft cooked, Quintana needed to show something as opposed to wheelsucking his way through the race(N.B. I am far from Contadors biggest fan).

Valv.Piti said:
Angliru said:
I'm thinking that, like Pinot, he's suffering from some type of illness that has yet to be diagnosed or discovered. I can't think of any other reason that he would be performing so far below expectations. Ultimately I think it's a lost cause for the forseeable future that Froome will be challenged at the Tour. No one is on the horizon that has the potential to make him or his juggernaut of a team sweat at all. It doesn't bode well from fans entertainment perspective unless you're a Froome/ Sky fan. His team has deep pockets. He's strong in every discipline that is important in being a gc contender. Quintana is just overmatched. There is no shame in that.

Maybe sickness, but I am leaning more towards the echelons racing taking too much out of him. Now just gotta get as easily through until the Alps, but it might be some sickness of some sort.

Maybe you are right mate, he said yesterday that when he got to Ventoux he was lacking a bit of energy because it was a windy stage.

Miburo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:
What excuses? The man crashed and had breaks in his leg. Don't be pathetic

2011, 2013, 2015. Blah, blah, blah. Off year, Giro, crashes, whatever. Froome is better, unfortunately.

Haha the only 2 legit excuses for failing in the tour is giro and crashes.

It happened 4 times to Contador. And 2013 was a terrible year, it happens to every athlete.

At this point you're just pathetic, no arguments. Prob mad cause you know quintana isn't gonna win this tour.

Sure matey.

Poursuivant said:
Valv.Piti said:
Angliru said:

Maybe you are right mate, he said yesterday that when he got to Ventoux he was lacking a bit of energy because it was a windy stage.

I hadn't heard that. I agree that could be it too.

Escarabajo said:
This Charming Man said:
Nario is showing his weakness, pity. He has become a non competitor,in this years tour.
So is he done?

So Mollema, Porte, Yates, Aru, Bardet and Company will be better than him in week #3?
To challange Froome, challange, attack, attack attack. Hinault and Merckx, would agree 5X tour, and monument winners, all around champions. I like Nario, he looks great on the bike, top knotch climber....but 1 dimensional, I wish Alejandro, could take him under his wing, show Nario...motivation...Nario...potential, capability..but no panache. Second, in Le Tour...good for Pou -Pou. only.

Gigs_98 said:
The saddest thing about this tour so far for nairo is that froome seems to be anything but unbeatable. Okay the TT was strong but who would have expected that the remaining disadvantage is there because he was dropped by mollema on the ventoux, a descent attack by froome and the strangest crosswind attack ever. In normal circumstances he still should have had the same time as froome before today but now he is in the exact same situation as last year just with a worse shape.

They had a different mindset. Froome wanted to win big. Quintana wanted to lose small.

Unfortunately going against Froome at this level is going to required Quintana to not miss a step. He wants to win the Tour for the first time and is trying to be very calculated at it wether or not that may be the best approach. I'm sure it's a lot easier to ride with "panache" with a Tour win or two under his belt. Wonder how those guys were before they won their first Tour and against who/how they won.

He's still the best chance at defeating Froome in the foreseeable future but looks like it's going to require the perfect storm. Maybe he should focus on the Giro and Vuelta more?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I've always been pretty neutral about Quintana, but watching him holding onto that wheel on the motorcycle and getting towed past the riders who had left him behind but crashed of no fault of their own is one of the sleaziest things I've ever seen in a grand tour. I am now officially a Quintana hater. Try to justify that move for me.

Wallace said:
I've always been pretty neutral about Quintana, but watching him holding onto that wheel on the motorcycle and getting towed past the riders who had left him behind but crashed of no fault of their own is one of the sleaziest things I've ever seen in a grand tour. I am now officially a Quintana hater. Try to justify that move for me.

In Quitana's defense, he thought it was Froome's wheel and instinctively tried to suck it.

:)

That's all I got.

Nairo has guts to attack, but severely lack the legs to make his move stick. People often conflate watts in the legs with guts / will / attacker instinct. I recall numerous forum members predicting Aru would launch mayhem in the Tour climbs after last year's Vuelta. In real world that's way more difficult as we can notice in this Tour.

I expect a big attack frome Quintana on Forclaz on stage 17. And yet that's a real shame Valverde is not willing to completely sacrifice his chances for Nairo.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

dacooley said:
Nairo has guts to attack, but severely lack the legs to make his move stick. People often conflate watts in the legs with guts / will / attacker instinct. I recall numerous forum members predicting Aru would launch mayhem in the Tour climbs after last year's Vuelta. In real world that's way more difficult as we can notice in this Tour.

I expect a big attack frome Quintana on Forclaz on stage 17. And yet that's a real shame Valverde is not willing to completely sacrifice his chances for Nairo.

He pulled him up the final part of the Ventoux!

And put 20 seconds into him in the time trial.

Valverde has a GIRO in his legs. Look at Nibali for a reference of how Valverde could be going.

No, Quintana expects Valverde to pull him. Somebody I know stated after the stage Froome won, stage 10, that Quintana sat up and was refusing to work. Almost as if he were saying "Valverde come and do the work." I disagreed at the time, but right now, that's exactly how it looks.

I will wait and see, but he did not look good on Ventoux and the fact he got a tow plus finished 6 seconds back from Aru, Yates and Meintjes at the line says a lot. He should not be at that level if he's going to fight Chris Froome for the win.

So yeah, blame Valverde all you want, if Quintana doesn't have the form he doesn't have the form.

I did quite enjoy laughing at his free tow. That's GOLD!! Very funny.

I am disappointed at Nairo today. It is probably not enough to merit disqualification TBH. But hey, what do we have left from Cycling: Froome, Porte, Nibali. No thanks.

As a fan of Nairo I feel bad to read the most stupid and ridiculous accusations from people around the world. Really are we still bringing the stupid 2014 Giro affair. What about the stupid argument about not having a top top 10 and still being a top ten in the Tour that awards regularity. If there are many breakaways then that is just coincidence, so it depends on that. Other fans just come to the Nairo thread (and other threads) and just bring Contador at every opportunity they have when this dude have never come back to the fitness of 2009. They still live in a world of denial. What about Eddy Merckx on Quintana. He critisizes Quintana of being a one trick pony. Actually for a guy like him that is a very stupid thing to say. Quintana has said it and Movistar has said it. Gosh even a scientist can prove that for a guy his size he is limited. It is physically impossible to excel at flat ITT or flat stages for a guy his size. It is just impossible. Period. He can just limit his losses. And still think he doesn’t do a bad job at that. He can only excel at one thing to win and that's what he does best. Punchy stuff? He is not bad. He is actually good when in top shape. So no problems about that.

TBH, I said it a week ago and keep saying it now, you cannot attack if you don't have the stamina and fitness to do so. So in Arcalis it was obvious he did not have it. Back then he was in the game still so it was not very smart to start doing silly attacks and risking losing more time. Now it is different. Very simple.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Wallace said:

In Quitana's defense, he thought it was Froome's wheel and instinctively tried to suck it.

:)

That's all I got.

To be fair, it's pretty good. :)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Quintana and Movistar have to strike on every climbing stage from now on, if they want to try to unseat Froome, every one!!! He needs to attack left and right throughout this remaining stages. First chance is Grand Colombier tomorrow. If they don't attack there, he's no longer riding for the first place. They need insane tempo on the first part of the climb, and then on the final steepest part Nairo must try to shake Froome, or at least all of his doms. Then again full throttle on the last climb. It would be useful if they send a strong rider in the break who could help between the climbs. Valverde could try himself but only to soften up Froome and Sky. Nairo is the key, if his attacks are powerful the damage will be done

Re:

Mr.White said:
Quintana and Movistar have to strike on every climbing stage from now on, if they want to try to unseat Froome, every one!!! He needs to attack left and right throughout this remaining stages. First chance is Grand Colombier tomorrow. If they don't attack there, he's no longer riding for the first place. They need insane tempo on the first part of the climb, and then on the final steepest part Nairo must try to shake Froome, or at least all of his doms. Then again full throttle on the last climb. It would be useful if they send a strong rider in the break who could help between the climbs. Valverde could try himself but only to soften up Froome and Sky. Nairo is the key, if his attacks are powerful the damage will be done

If they try that then Sky will just that rider go and get 10mins+ as Moreno s the next movistar rider at 50 mins.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Mr.White said:

If attacking meant that either you gain time or you finish exactly as if you hadn't attacked, then and only then would 'taking every opportunity' be the golden strategy so many here think it is.

Re:

Mr.White said:
They have no choice now. I don't think is long range attacks because it can be done by small chunks.

Having said that, hope he finds the legs otherwise is pointless Tour from now on. Mollema and Porte do not have the stamina to scare Froome.

TRENDING THREADS