• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 190 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Salvaged 3rd when clearly far from top shape through clever conservative riding. Chapeau

Agree. When you're obviously not in any kind of form but you can still get to the podium of the tour you're clearly doing something right, even if anonymous. Expect he'll be back stronger next year.

1) 3 in GC with such a poor form is brilliant result
2) health problem needs to be addressed as soon as possible
3) going to Rio is bad idea in my opinion, I'm not even sure that going to Vuelta this year is good idea, maybe he should rest
4) Froome is not that dominant in the mountains as before (or he was only pretending). I have a feeling that he will start to decline soon (at least in terms of climbing)
5) Giro/Vuelta next year should be seriously considered, he has big chance to win at least one of these races
6) Movistar as a team is two levels below Sky and one level below Astana

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

dacooley said:
Quintana ought to widen his skillset to win the Tour. Time to realize he'll never make up 2-3 minutes over Froome / Contador / Bardet just at the expense of magnificent climbing.
he already did that in tour 2013 and 2015 :rolleyes:

Managed to hold on. I guess thats fine, but obviously not what he came for...

Rio, no Rio, Vuelta, no Vuelta? Those will be the questions. He should be super spend at this point and I really hope he skips Los Juegos, he won't have any chance of winning like Contador anyways.

Re:

capuldemetal said:
yes ,it did.but sometimes(this year for exemple) it is just not enough.and if prudhomme really keeps his promise to make next year's tour less mountainess he will be really in big trouble.

If there are less mountains but more mountain top finishes than this year then everything is not lost for Quintana. Froome seems to be stronger on stages with no climbs and mtf in the end but Quintana was very strong on Ventoux in 2013 (when he was still a young rider) so I don't see a reason why he can't be better next year than he was in 2013. This year just wasn't his year and hopefully they can fix whatever is wrong with him.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Was a little off his game. Needs less TT kilometres to beat Froome.
Not really, he just needs his 2013/2015 climbing legs, this time Valverde really worked for him, but his Form was clearly off. Of course having another strongman for the flat stages would be a good idea and 1-2 long, hard mountain stages at high altitute would also help him a lot, but this year the main problem was just his form, you can't blame the route or the team, if something is wrong with your form and you just lack the legs to attack and do damage then there's not much that you can do about that.

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Unzue seems happy though, they have the Team GC in the bag and the podium, which was their objective since the beginning. Nairo really needs to change team if he intends to win the Tour.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
He needs to forget about this Tour and go on like Contador did in 2013-2014,because this was sooo horrible.

More concerning is his attitude, thats what is really awful (stupid intrviews,passivness in the race)
And I dont think that riding Vuelta is a good choice, I mean,why?

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand everything in cycling like you all pretend to, but in my opinion coming in 4+ minutes and third place in bad form with some health problems is a good effort.

It's amazing some of the comments here (the RRforum general, can't say I've read 238 pages of Nairo or whatever), hatred towards a biker who is only guilty of doing what he can with what he got?

Calling him out as pathetic, stupid, passive, didn't even try? - wow you guys kinda have high standards don't you.

26 years old, without right teambuild (Erviti was even more off form, certainly in the classic stages of first week I believe) and tactics and off form and so gets on the podium i TdF even so.

Let's see for a few more years, maybe next year he will choose a more conventional approach with Dauphine - it will be interesting to see.

Anyway I'm a fan cause he's there with the very best and the biggest threat to Froome right now. Let's hope he improve over this and improving explosiveness will not work with Froome - so Nairo, beat him at his own game - exercise your jojoing!

TRENDING THREADS