• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 289 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lol at the rumors.

Stop the crap about Valverde please. If I were to bet my money today would be the day in which Valverde start to lose time. He had 1000 opportunities also. And he has only himself to blame by going so fast in the wet.

Quintana simply played it wrong by going to the Giro. He has only himself to blame. And some Unzue, but mostly Quintana. The character thing came out with Visconti first and then with Betancur, which are difficult characters as well. So who do we pick. These Champions have difficult characters. Is not like they easy to go with. it is their nature. So I don't believe that crab either being the main reason. If there is something wrong within the team there has to be something else.

He riding like a lion now. That shows character of Champion if you ask me. I think we are all over-reacting.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Going for the double and being in great shape early in the spring, heck even winter, probably isn't the best recipe. It must be a bit humiliating for him...
It is mind boggling to compare the Quintana at the beginning of the year with this one. He must be feeling very bad.

I believe that this fall will help him for the future.

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Going for the double and being in great shape early in the spring, heck even winter, probably isn't the best recipe. It must be a bit humiliating for him...
It is mind boggling to compare the Quintana at the beginning of the year with this one. He must be feeling very bad.

I believe that this fall will help him for the future.
I know Mas de la Costa was against poor competition, but still. He just went from the bottom and annihilated the field. He was way too strong too soon, I reckon. And he controlled and won T-A easily as well.

Re:

Forever The Best said:
Perhaps he will be allowed to the break tomorrow? A stage win would be nice.
Literally the only way he can win on Izoard, but I really doubt that would happen. First he would have to sneak into a break in unfavourable terrain, then the peloton will have to sit up and lastly he would have to be the strongest from the break. Very unlikely, but why not try? Vacation after Izoard.

Re:

hrotha said:
The peloton might be a problem if Froome decides he wants to win a stage, otherwise it shouldn't matter: Quintana is 12:54 down on Froome and, more importantly, 6:19 down on Meintjes. That should be enough.
UAE can control it without catching the break. Let's say Quintana finishes 3 minutes ahead, that is not a problem for UAE since the gap would still be very big as you say.
BMC can chase because of Caruso though :eek:

LOL at Hothra comments about Meintjes!

There is no way that Quintana wins tomorrow. Not even from the breakaway.

Breakaways at the Tour always contain quality riders as we have seen. He is dead. He will just ride in the lead group until he blows again. He is already thinking about getting in the plane back to Colombia and have a long vacation. I mean looooong vacation.

Re:

hrotha said:
The peloton might be a problem if Froome decides he wants to win a stage, otherwise it shouldn't matter: Quintana is 12:54 down on Froome and, more importantly, 6:19 down on Meintjes. That should be enough.
I know you are half-way joking, but the rider we cannot name in here (swear filter) will make sure to throw his loyal oil soldiers to the front if a stage win isn't on Christopher's agenda.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Breakaways at the Tour always contain quality riders as we have seen. He is dead. He will just ride in the lead group until he blows again. He is already thinking about getting in the plane back to Colombia and have a long vacation. I mean looooong vacation.
Why is he still riding? Team order? Sponsor contract requirements? Can't get it.

klintE said:
Escarabajo said:
Why is he still riding? Team order? Sponsor contract requirements? Can't get it.

He indicated to the media that he doesn't want to just give up. He wants to salvage something from this Tour. I'm fairly certain it's his choice.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site

klintE said:
Escarabajo said:
Has a rider ever given up/abandoned because he couldn't live up to the expectations, but was otherwise perfectly healthy? Top athletes are top athletes for not giving up in these moment I guess

klintE said:
Escarabajo said:
He wants to finish. He just doesn't want to just give up!

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Perhaps , but I think the decision would probably have been made already before the start of this season. And Movistar is also Telefonica's main brand in much of South America, so you would think that if the executives did insist on something, that having Quintana doing well at the Tour would be much more important to them than him playing second fiddle at the Giro.

That is the part I wonder about. Would Telefonica be unhappy if Nairo left? He's been huge PR for them at home.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
He should quit this race along with Contador and look to Vuelta if possible. They will not achieve anything of note compared to their palmares
If the Giro-Tour double is obviously too hard, what makes you think he'll be at his best at the Vuelta? Quitting after stage 17 with just one mountain stage to go is just pointless anyway, makes no difference.

I dont know about these rumours. Why would his agent actively reach out to Sky? I know its because Landa possibly is leaving for Movistar, but Sky will still have Froome. I can understand Astana tho, they could build a great team around him I think. I heard rumours about Valverde being the 'secret' captain' pre-TdF, that has maybe pissed him off.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I dont know about these rumours. Why would his agent actively reach out to Sky? I know its because Landa possibly is leaving for Movistar, but Sky will still have Froome. I can understand Astana tho, they could build a great team around him I think. I heard rumours about Valverde being the 'secret' captain' pre-TdF, that has maybe pissed him off.

Quite likely. But he should have known that every manager gets doubtful of a guy targeting both the Giro and the Tour. And since he had not won the Giro and Valverde had been superb this season, his power to negotiate his leadership in this Tour was lower than 2 months ago.