• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 319 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
I completely agree. It's just that calling him a youngster may be a bit odd, especially when comparing him to Quintana.

More new to cycling and still has a learning curve and hasn't reached his full potential. I see Roglic with a higher ceiling than he's shown. I don't see Quintana as being able to get back to his 2015 level let alone able to reach a higher level.

Quintana is an odd one as he was was pushing Froome when Froome was climbing at his peak but something tells me that Froome hasn't deteriorated as much as we think with his climbing. He's just riding more conservatively and instead of building a sizeable lead at the midway point of a grand tour he is pacing himself over the three weeks. I think that's how he did the double in 2017. Froome has lost the explosive power on the mountain climbs but his strength is still there. It's odd to see Uran podium a Tour with Quintana nowhere to be seen. Riders like Roglic are definitely closing the gap to riders like Quintana and Bardet. Dumoulin has already surpassed them as a grand tour rider.

movingtarget said:
Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
I completely agree. It's just that calling him a youngster may be a bit odd, especially when comparing him to Quintana.

More new to cycling and still has a learning curve and hasn't reached his full potential. I see Roglic with a higher ceiling than he's shown. I don't see Quintana as being able to get back to his 2015 level let alone able to reach a higher level.

Quintana is an odd one as he was was pushing Froome when Froome was climbing at his peak but something tells me that Froome hasn't deteriorated as much as we think with his climbing. He's just riding more conservatively and instead of building a sizeable lead at the midway point of a grand tour he is pacing himself over the three weeks. I think that's how he did the double in 2017. Froome has lost the explosive power on the mountain climbs but his strength is still there. It's odd to see Uran podium a Tour with Quintana nowhere to be seen. Riders like Roglic are definitely closing the gap to riders like Quintana and Bardet. Dumoulin has already surpassed them as a grand tour rider.

My opinion is that both Quintana and Froome have declined since 2015. That appears to have been his ceiling as he hasn't reached it again since. The last two years he also hasn't been able to hit his 2016 levels again. Thus leading me to believe that not only did he did a ceiling in 2015, but that he's had a steady decline since. I think Froome is decline, but at a slower rate than Quintana and has more plateaued (maybe?).

Yeah Quintana had a lot of promise but Froome was too strong when Quintana peaked and now the field has many other contenders. Probably stage hunting is all that is left for Nairo.

Weirdly enough I'd still like to see him somehow clinch the Tour. Hoping against hope!

I'm thinking NQ can podium the Tour and maybe even win it, as long as Valverde is not in the team and he has a good mountain team around him. As with Froome deteriorating, that may be something to do with the numerous consecutive GT's he's ridden (and won most of them). Sure he's entitled to a bit of tiredness in his legs. Can't understand how NQ is 25/1 with some bookies, seeing he is targeting solely the Tour, Richie Port is 10/1!!! Hoping Nairo does well, he's due one.

At the beginning of the year it was announced he would by trained by Michele Bartoli this year and, as far as we can say, he looks better. It’s only Paris - Nice and he always had a very high floor, but he has been very good. Surviving echelons on his ones, very respectable timetrial on par with Kelderman and Jungels. I’m curious about his performance on Turini and if he still has it in him to reach that peak come July. Like they said in The Godfather; just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
At the beginning of the year it was announced he would by trained by Michele Bartoli this year and, as far as we can say, he looks better. It’s only Paris - Nice and he always had a very high floor, but he has been very good. Surviving echelons on his ones, very respectable timetrial on par with Kelderman and Jungels. I’m curious about his performance on Turini and if he still has it in him to reach that peak come July. Like they said in The Godfather; just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I think switching trainer was a good move and also staying away from all the political drama from the Colombian cycling federation

Dukerojo said:
DNP-Old said:

I think switching trainer was a good move and also staying away from all the political drama from the Colombian cycling federation

That's is usually a good idea for any of the cyclists.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
One thing with Quintana is its close to impossible to use that as indications. Take last year's Tour as an example - great first nice days including the cobbled stage where he was insanely good, but average in the mountains the day after. The time trial in RdS in 2016, pretty sure he was gonna win TdF that year, average in the mountains.

I wanna see Quintana climb really, really well first

Valv.Piti said:
DNP-Old said:
One thing with Quintana is its close to impossible to use that as indications. Take last year's Tour as an example - great first nice days including the cobbled stage where he was insanely good, but average in the mountains the day after. The time trial in RdS in 2016, pretty sure he was gonna win TdF that year, average in the mountains.

Maybe he should shift his focus to flat and cobbled races.

Valv.Piti said:
DNP-Old said:

Surviving the cobbles doesn't mean that much for the form. It's also due to form, and I think having a big day on the cobbles 2 days before the mountains had a worse effect on the teeny tiny climbers than on the bigger climbers. Nibali crashed on the cobbles and was dead La Rosiere. Roglic survived the cobbles with a stone in his elbow and he got dropped on both MTFs in the Alps.

I think he just was too good too early in 2016.

Quintana was comfortably the best on Col de Portet. Then he crashed. I don't put too much stock in the Vuelta cause I think it was just too much at that point.

He's had 2 disappointing years, and now he's getting a year full of *** routes for him. Nothing you can do about that. Kick some ass in the mountains and pray a miracle should probably be the plan.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
DNP-Old said:

Surviving the cobbles doesn't mean that much for the form. It's also due to form, and I think having a big day on the cobbles 2 days before the mountains had a worse effect on the teeny tiny climbers than on the bigger climbers. Nibali crashed on the cobbles and was dead La Rosiere. Roglic survived the cobbles with a stone in his elbow and he got dropped on both MTFs in the Alps.

I think he just was too good too early in 2016.

Quintana was comfortably the best on Col de Portet. Then he crashed. I don't put too much stock in the Vuelta cause I think it was just too much at that point.

He's had 2 disappointing years, and now he's getting a year full of **** routes for him. Nothing you can do about that. Kick some *** in the mountains and pray a miracle should probably be the plan.

Quintana hasn't put in a dominant climbing performance in a grand tour since the 2014 Giro. I have doubts he will ever win another. Dumoulin is more of a threat to Froome now and has been for the past two seasons. There has to be doubts about Bardet ever winning a GT as well. Pinot would get more mileage from stage hunting and all have similar issues........the time trial. Quintana though has been nowhere near his best climbing form which gives him even less chance.

Yes, Quintana has put in dominant climbing performances in GTs after 2014, in fact in every year.

2015 on La Toussuire and Alpe d' Huez (TdF).
2016 in La Vuelta on Covadonga and just shutting Froome down on the major MTFs (Vuelta).
2017 on Blockhaus (Giro).
2018 on Col de Portet (TdF).

Really great Paris-Nice so far, the only rider going faster is basically god on a bike.

He should get 2nd overall here unless Gilbert just goes bananas. At this point, he is still Movistar's best bet at TdF with a longshot. Lets see if he can replicate his Basque Country win in 2013 in a few weeks.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yes, Quintana has put in dominant climbing performances in GTs after 2014, in fact in every year.

2016 in La Vuelta on Covadonga and just shutting Froome down on the major MTFs (Vuelta).

I mean for a whole grand tour. He's supposed to be a GC rider not a stage hunter. He rode well in the Vuelta he won and the 2015 Tour but he never dominated. Contador's break was the turning point of the 2016 Vuelta and Froome never really looked like losing the Tour.

movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:

I mean for a whole grand tour. He's supposed to be a GC rider not a stage hunter. He rode well in the Vuelta he won and the 2015 Tour but he never dominated. Contador's break was the turning point of the 2016 Vuelta and Froome never really looked like losing the Tour.

2015 Tour was his best GT. Without Contador's ambush in the 2016 Vuelta, Froome wins that Vuelta.

Koronin said:
movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:

2015 Tour was his best GT. Without Contador's ambush in the 2016 Vuelta, Froome wins that Vuelta.

Whilst I have nothing but admiration for the way that Contador rode in the 2016 Vuelta, and generally, I don't think that he can be given all the credit for that breakaway. Quintana rode really well as well and was able to keep riding at the end of the stage when Contador couldn't. A huge amount of credit had to be given to the team mates of both of the big riders who rode their socks off in support of their team leaders. Movistar disrupting the chase and ensuring that most of the Sky Team couldn't get back on was also a big part of the whole move. One of the Grand Tour Stages I can watch form start to finish again and again.

mariposa said:
Koronin said:
movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:

Whilst I have nothing but admiration for the way that Contador rode in the 2016 Vuelta, and generally, I don't think that he can be given all the credit for that breakaway. Quintana rode really well as well and was able to keep riding at the end of the stage when Contador couldn't. A huge amount of credit had to be given to the team mates of both of the big riders who rode their socks off in support of their team leaders. Movistar disrupting the chase and ensuring that most of the Sky Team couldn't get back on was also a big part of the whole move. One of the Grand Tour Stages I can watch form start to finish again and again.
Contador was pulling 10 to 1 compared Quintana in that break, which led to the end result

mariposa said:
Koronin said:
movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:

Before that stage started there was a discussion between Valverde and Contador in which they were ensuring no one else could hear/see what they were talking about. So it does seem that was very much planned and more than likely was Contador's idea. He just needed to find someone he could trust to help him carry it out. In the end it didn't really work out fully the way Contador had hoped for himself. However it was one of the best GT stages that is easily watchable over and over. I still believe without that ambush (which Contador and Valverde pulled again the following year at Catalonia) Quintana doesn't win that Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS