• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 321 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Bardamu said:
Valv.Piti said:
It makes sense if Movistar grab Enrico Mas. I suppose they will, QS has a history of not being able to pay riders.
They still have one of the higher budgets in the peloton. Lefevere loves to play the victim. And he doesn't like expensive GC-riders, Evenepoel has to get the hell out of there unless he becomes a GC-contender and Belgian sponsors will go apeshit.

Mr Unzue has already said they want to bring Mas there. I'm sure they are going to make a big play to try to bring him in.

There's been rumors since 2017 that Quintana is leaving Movistar and the big rumor last year was the CCC wants him but wasn't willing to pay the fee for Quintana to break his contract early.

Also remember Movistar let Quintana's younger brother go at the end of last season. I'd be surprised if they bring any of the 3 Colombians on their team back next year. I would expect them to keep the two young South American riders, Carapaz and Sepulveda. I would think they would likely try to keep Amador.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hey at least Quintnaa is up there in every mountain stage this season. That's at least a positive. His riding style... well you know.. I think he lacks confidence

He attacked with 50 kms to go at PN. Most of the time he's just too conservative and rarely wants to work with other good riders in small groups. His best attacks are solo attacks it seems but they don't happen very often. When he has to work with others he often seems to back off. I think it's more about attitude, not confidence.

movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hey at least Quintnaa is up there in every mountain stage this season. That's at least a positive. His riding style... well you know.. I think he lacks confidence

He attacked with 50 kms to go at PN. Most of the time he's just too conservative and rarely wants to work with other good riders in small groups. His best attacks are solo attacks it seems but they don't happen very often. When he has to work with others he often seems to back off. I think it's more about attitude, not confidence.

I'll also add that Columbians don't work well in a group - Yes, they will attack each other but co-operation is another matter.

Koronin said:
Bardamu said:
Valv.Piti said:
It makes sense if Movistar grab Enrico Mas. I suppose they will, QS has a history of not being able to pay riders.
They still have one of the higher budgets in the peloton. Lefevere loves to play the victim. And he doesn't like expensive GC-riders, Evenepoel has to get the hell out of there unless he becomes a GC-contender and Belgian sponsors will go apeshit.

Mr Unzue has already said they want to bring Mas there. I'm sure they are going to make a big play to try to bring him in.

There's been rumors since 2017 that Quintana is leaving Movistar and the big rumor last year was the CCC wants him but wasn't willing to pay the fee for Quintana to break his contract early.

Also remember Movistar let Quintana's younger brother go at the end of last season. I'd be surprised if they bring any of the 3 Colombians on their team back next year. I would expect them to keep the two young South American riders, Carapaz and Sepulveda. I would think they would likely try to keep Amador.

That's right, keep Sepulveda that has been a great addition to the team. Especially because they have an strategic market in communications in Argentina. In Colombia is non-existent!

Escarabajo said:
Koronin said:
Bardamu said:
Valv.Piti said:

That's right, keep Sepulveda that has been a great addition to the team. Especially because they have an strategic market in communications in Argentina. In Colombia is non-existent!

With almost the entire team out of contract at the end of this year I would expect (or at least hope) they have some plan of what they are doing.

Escarabajo said:
Koronin said:
Bardamu said:
Valv.Piti said:

interested in knowing what is non existent in Colombia.
After far as I know they have similar population, marginally bigger in Colombia, equivalent number of Mobile lines (almost double for monthly plans in Colombia vs Arg). As per Movistar, it has 29% market share in Colombia vs 31% un Argentina.
In other telco business things are very different but overall, the picture doesn't change: they offer TV in Colombia not in Arg, they have more POTS lines and broadband market share in Argentina

Contador on Quintana's thought process when riding against him: Donde esta Alberto? :D

Well, Alberto aint nowhere to be seen in the pro peloton anymore, but you can't disagree with the fact that Quintana often seemed to follow Contador's wheel and riding very conservatively.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Contador on Quintana's thought process when riding against him: Donde esta Alberto? :D

Well, Alberto aint nowhere to be seen in the pro peloton anymore, but you can't disagree with the fact that Quintana often seemed to follow Contador's wheel and riding very conservatively.

Its rich coming from Contador.
Has he ever finished above NQ in any GT they rode together? :lol:

silvergrenade said:
Valv.Piti said:

Its rich coming from Contador.
Has he ever finished above NQ in any GT they rode together? :lol:

Yes.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
I am not sure what is the proper preparation for him anymore TBH.
There is more to it than just doing the Dauphine as preparation for the Tour.

Good point. From pictures people have been posting on a group page I'm on, I'm not sure how much training he's actually doing as he's been doing a bunch of official type things in Colombia. So who knows what kind of shape he's even in right now.

TRENDING THREADS