• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 356 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Quintana's interview on rest day. You need to speak Spanish.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPFaxI_4Mw

One interesting point he made is how fast they are going that there is no time to pee because they can get dropped. He was talking with Valverde while riding and He told him that he could not believe the wattage on the race. Few years back with that average wattage there would not be more than 5 riders and now there is a big group at that moment. Very interesting comment. A lot of young talent pushing the race to the limit.

Hard to believe that Quintana is still only 30. He seems to have been around for a long time. His last three tries at the Tour his best result was an 8th last year and he was third in 2016. He never regained his best climbing form he showed in his earlier second places to Froome in the Tour although his climbing performance when he won the Giro was very good as well. How much of that was because of the pecking order issues at Movistar and perceived lack of support who knows. So is it going to be another pretty anonymous top 10 with maybe a stage win ? With Dumoulin and Pinot now out of it, no Froome or Thomas, he should be challenging at least for a top five along with other riders like Martin, Landa, Uran and maybe even Bardet. Porte and Mollema look more like top 10 possibilities but they can both ride a good TT on their day. Been a while since he produced a consistent grand tour performance which makes me think top five is more possible than top 3. His best GT performance in the past two seasons was a 4th in the Vuelta last season.

Reactions: Sandisfan
To me his issue always was his weight and training was lacking. The main reason, according to many people, was his lack of motivation. I don't know if it was lack of motivation or just bad working environment. I am not criticizing Movistar but what matters is his perception not the perception of Movistar.

As for my experience, I have been in poisonous or very uncomfortable work environments in which I could just quit and start running like Forrest Gump did. I couldn't work very hard. Just couldn't put numbers and formulas together. As soon as the poisonous person left, which happened to be the boss, everything changed completely. Rainbows rose on the horizon. I could work for hours and the energy was there all of a sudden. So if it really was that there would be a change. Some people are just like that.

Quintana was never a charismatic figure, so he relied on his results to gather people around him. When he couldn't fulfill the expectations of winning the TDF, perhaps the other "faction" of Movistar (led by Valverde) started getting sick of bending towards Nairo, pressuring Movi*'s management to decrease Quintana's leadership role. Then, Quintana started getting more and more demotivated and results were getting less and less good, kind of a vicious circle.

At least that's how I view his situation, he sounds to me like the "anonymous" kind of guy.

Fortunately, he left Movistar. Everyone won in the end.

Reactions: Red Rick
Quintana was never a charismatic figure, so he relied on his results to gather people around him. When he couldn't fulfill the expectations of winning the TDF, perhaps the other "faction" of Movistar (led by Valverde) started getting sick of bending towards Nairo, pressuring Movi*'s management to decrease Quintana's leadership role. Then, Quintana started getting more and more demotivated and results were getting less and less good, kind of a vicious circle.

At least that's how I view his situation, he sounds to me like the "anonymous" kind of guy.

Fortunately, he left Movistar. Everyone won in the end.
Kinda rich considering Quintana's best chance at a Tour went ended up being bent so Valverde coudl get 3rd all the way back in 2015.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think it's always hard for people who break through early but then hit a wall.

He did really really well for an impressive 7 GT's on the bounce, but just couldn't quite get over the line on the biggest stage (and let's be honest racing Froome at his peak was going to demoralising for anyone). Then tried to change up his approach for 2017 really seemed to go badly for him and a terribly run team on top of that likely put a real dampener on the end of his 20s as everyone (probably himself included) stopped believing.

Fortunately the move to Arkea seems to have taken a weight off his shoulders and he's looking like he's rediscovered a bit of his best. If the stars were to really align he can still win another GT, but he needs to basically time his prep perfectly and have others expose a weakness so it's probably a small hope. I think top 5 is most realistic here but if he gets a good day and Pog has a bad one you could see a podium as doable. I'd still back him against most of the field on a third week climb.

So Quintana crashed today again and hurt the other side. He crashed 2 days ago as well. In the news they were saying that he had some blood in the elbow.

He did good if that is so. I think that is 3 crashes in this Tour if I am not mistaken.

Hope for some recovery this coming week. His teammates, as expected, have not helped as much. Hope they get better as well.

Feels like the race is getting away from him now with the crashes. While I still think we can see him take back time on a good leg day he's bled enough (literally and metaphorically) that a top 5 is starting to look hard.

The outside podium shot was a dream to begin with but really can't see it if he's banged up on top of anything else :(

i didnt see him good after the crash on friday. really a big crash, Molema out and Bardet lost consious and then out.
someone can tell, when see him today, that those elbows and knees are really hurt. and with the crash in Colombia that affect his right knee, that crash on friday was the last hope.
i think now that he can recover on rest day and dont know if on tuesday, but wednesday and thursday, we will se a move from him. he is now back 5 minutes so he will have some freedom, and who tells, maybe he can climb a few steps in the GC. i also hope that he make a super far attack on wednesday and on thursday.

On Bruneel's podcast yesterday he mentioned he was told Quintana crashed right into a big stinging nettle bush, must have been a painful ride uphill let alone dealing with the actual crash effects. Owch!
I had to watch some videos about these nettle bushes. They look painful. However they have a medicinal effect. Let's hope for other good effects as well :).

Reactions: dusty red roads

TRENDING THREADS