• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 360 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He peaked early. Never looked likely in the Tour after 2015. He only got third in 2016 because Porte had his usual bad luck. 2016 Vuelta was his last impressive grand tour. Dumoulin controlled the 2017 Giro even with crap gate. Top 10 I think is his best now.
I have to agree, unfortunately. It's been years now that Quintana really looked like a threat in GTs... Last year his early form was stellar though. But at the TdF it sill didn't work out (I know he had a crash). Also think lower top 10 is what he can realistcally achieve.

I have to agree, unfortunately. It's been years now that Quintana really looked like a threat in GTs... Last year his early form was stellar though. But at the TdF it sill didn't work out (I know he had a crash). Also think lower top 10 is what he can realistcally achieve.
Yeah, I agree as well, with the exception that I'm not too sure if Quintana actually was that much better last year than the last few years.

I'd love to see him (and some other good GC men who aren't going to top 5) make the KoM interesting and properly commit to it, rather than some nobody getting it by going in breaks and then collapsing on the final climb.

I agree. He and G. Martin, for example, could be an interesting polka dot battle. If not, those two are going to be among a large bunch fighting for places 8-15 on GC. Martin did that in the Vuelta -- abondoned GC hopes right away and went for KoM and won it.

I agree. He and G. Martin, for example, could be an interesting polka dot battle. If not, those two are going to be among a large bunch fighting for places 8-15 on GC. Martin did that in the Vuelta -- abondoned GC hopes right away and went for KoM and won it.

In the Cofidis team announcement, Martin said he will chase stages, I think a few too many crashes ruined his prep so even a top 10 would be tough.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He often handles the flat stages pretty well. If he can do reasonable TTs and stay out of trouble he might finish higher than expected. Haig has gone home, Porte and O'Connor have lost time among others so the possible top 10 has already had some shake ups. but with Quintana its always been about his best climbing form and we haven't seen that in a grand tour for quite a while now. The two TTs should help Uran and Kelderman but Kelderman often looks good until the critical stages in the final week.

His main issue the last few years has been his lack of recovery and his instability, though his top level does seem to have gotten worse this year as well. That said, he's doing great so far!
Yeah, agree with everything you say. But at the same time I hope thats somehow a chance for Nairo. Rarely did he have less pressure in the Tour and was flying more under the radar. And thats going well so far.

He often handles the flat stages pretty well. If he can do reasonable TTs and stay out of trouble he might finish higher than expected.

Yep - had to learn some harsh lessons there along the way but he did learn them and nowadays I'm rarely worried he's going to be caught out or caught up in stuff.

If he does a good TT on Thurs I'll get a bit optimistic that we might still see a strong GT from him.

Reactions: movingtarget
Why today he loose time on purpose??? it was not necesary.
I hope he goes bananas tomorrow, win the polka dot jersey and the stage.
The funny thing is that Arkea let warguil, which is far behind in GC, with the peloton, and let Nairo loose time.
Really dont get it

Couldn't watch today. Did Quintana really lose time on purpose? Cause that would make zero sense when he actually invested quite a bit of energy of always staying with the front group in the first week. And also the field of GC riders is already rather thinned out. So why not have Nairo go for it? But again, is this really what happened? Cause I also can see him just being weak unfortunately...

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Personally I think it's most likely that he's got ill which has been a regular occurrence in his career.

His TT wasn't great but it certainly wasn't bad enough for me to think he wasn't trying, and if you're planning to tank time why not chill a bit more in a TT along the way?

We'll see tomorrow I guess, but if he has really thrown away a GC that was opening up for stage wins and polka dots I am very confused.

I can't see the plan being the Olympics and I doubt the team is even at the Vuelta?

TRENDING THREADS