• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 364 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I reckon he will drop Roglic. Won't be enough for GC win, but he will assert himself as TOP3 GC guy. But later in the year he will take what was bound to happen since 2013, yellow jersey on his shoulders in Champs-Élysées. And join elite group of guys winning all 3 GTs.

Maybe if Pogačar or Roglič gift him one of those that the winners always sign at the end of the stage in Paris :p

But he has a very realistic chance to finish P-N on the podium. Wout will probably be the biggest obstacle here. Since he will probably drop another minute to him in the TT he will have to gain almost two minutes on stages 5 and 7. It depends if Wout will go all in on Turini or just pack it up once Roglič sails away.

Not quite the podium but a decent effort.

The top end isn't quite there against the best fields these days but he's hanging tough. Don't have many big hopes for the season really, but a stage win at the tour and a decent Vuelta GC effort would be nice.
I think it’s been pretty apparent for several years that his recovery isn’t there the way it was in his prime. After a hard day yesterday (for everyone) he didn’t have much today, although it’s also a power climb so there’s that. Makes sense then to focus on stage wins in the Tour, although I hope it’s not the “get in the early break” type of stage hunting. I’d rather see him matched against the best climbers and see if he can win when given some leeway to get away.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Looking at the race and the contentders. If Arkea truly was all about promoting they should have sent Quintana to the Giro d'Italia with full climbing support. At least could have fought for a podium spot there.

Big mistake IMHO!

Agree. Sometimes the tyranny of the Tour is too heavy and unbalanced. Quintana could have gone to the Giro for GC and Tour for stage hunting. It would have made sense with the routes, contenders and his spring form.

Agree. Sometimes the tyranny of the Tour is too heavy and unbalanced. Quintana could have gone to the Giro for GC and Tour for stage hunting. It would have made sense with the routes, contenders and his spring form.
Arkea probably relies on Quintana riding a stronger Vuelta after the Tour like in 2016. The route basically has 1 stage that favors him though (Sierra Nevada).

Honestly I would have given Bouhanni a full leadout train at the Tour. He wasn't too far away last year and could snatch a victory against Jakobsen and Philipsen then.

Arkea probably relies on Quintana riding a stronger Vuelta after the Tour like in 2016. The route basically has 1 stage that favors him though (Sierra Nevada).

Honestly I would have given Bouhanni a full leadout train at the Tour. He wasn't too far away last year and could snatch a victory against Jakobsen and Philipsen then.
Nacer with a full train at the Tour and Nario with Dayer, Anacona and Wawa at the Giro. Wawa goes stagehunting/KoM at the Tour after the Giro and Nairo goes Giro-Vuelta.

Reactions: staubsauger

TRENDING THREADS