• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 366 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Quintana was actually quite unlucky not to gain time on Thomas yesterday. TJV and Pog clearly weren't interested in gaining time on Thomas, else they would have pushed on right after the final summit and they might have gained a lot.

Pog is not interested to distance Thomas at all while Vinge has no interest to cooperate with Pog. That's why Thomas is still so close to Pog and can even snatch the 2nd place if Pog (who doesn't care about anything except victory) risks too much.

So today who paced Geraint back up to the lead pack? Thomas alone could have lost a minute to the group on a descent and Nairo would need that time.
Well Geraint turned that around, slowly. That last hill ground everyone up and Thomas emerged as the lone candidate for third place, barring an explosion tomorrow. This Tour has given fans alot of drama to get this far!

Reactions: Sandisfan
The funny thing is that in an interview he said that the other riders have had strong teams that have helped them defend their positions. He then said that he didn't mean that he had a weak team but that the others have been lucky. Whatever that meant.

He said that tomorrow the altitude could help him but I don't buy that at this moment. Everyone is dragging their feet ATM. It depends on how everyone recuperates.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyOZ47Y4fwY

The funny thing is that in an interview he said that the other riders have had strong teams that have helped them defend their positions. He then said that he didn't mean that he had a weak team but that the others have been lucky. Whatever that meant.

He said that tomorrow the altitude could help him but I don't buy that at this moment. Everyone is dragging their feet ATM. It depends on how everyone recuperates.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyOZ47Y4fwY
His best climbing gregario abandoned the race, so it's true about luck a little bit. I also don't understand why they don't have Anacona in the race. His work in 2015 at Movistar was Phenomenal

Reactions: Sandisfan
His best climbing gregario abandoned the race, so it's true about luck a little bit. I also don't understand why they don't have Anacona in the race. His work in 2015 at Movistar was Phenomenal
I wonder why they didn't take Edet to the race. He was with him throughout the year and then decided not to take him. That was very strange.

Quintana was pedaling with the heart today. Today he really needed a teammate. Everyone else had one.
Them not taking any climbers bar him and Barguil to the Tour has cost them. Having said that, he has tried to hang on to better riders for too long on multiple occasions this Tour, top-5 would probably be secure otherwise instead of being a coin toss at best. Still, even if he falls to seventh, it's been good to see him do a solid GC again for the first time since the 2019 Vuelta.

I feared he might fade a little and he indeed did, but to be honest, this is still a result he can be happy about. He'll likely get 5th in the final gc which would be his best Tour result since 2016 with in my opinion his best gt performance since 2017. It was great to see that he still has these kind of performances in him.

Vlasov should easily overtake him if he keeps his upward trend, the russian is a solid Time-triallist.

Oh really? Any rumors already?

He did quite good this year but his inconsistency on subsequent mountain stages sticks with him nowadays.
???
Was he supposed to win the Tour???
I am confused. I think he did well for the team this year. In fact he did all he could.

About the rumors. They are no rumors. Everybody knew in Colombia. Just that nobody cared in this forum anymore so the news were not posted. Arkea declined to sign him for an extension. So He is moving on. Now the team was rumored to be Bora. But that was purely a rumor.

???
Was he supposed to win the Tour???
I am confused. I think he did well for the team this year. In fact he did all he could.

About the rumors. They are no rumors. Everybody knew in Colombia. Just that nobody cared in this forum anymore so the news were not posted. Arkea declined to sign him for an extension. So He is moving on. Now the team was rumored to be Bora. But that was purely a rumor.
No, I also think he did very well. But his climbing is more volatile than at his absolute peak.

Anyway, surprised that its Arkea’s decision. Always thought that a duo Quintana/Barguil is as good for them as it gets.

He could very well finish top 5 if Arkea actually was able to pull back the breakaways that brought Meintjes & Vlasov back in contention.

At the Giro d'Italia maybe even a podium was possible with this shape. Arkea decided not to go there.

It's a bit weird indeed. Quintana certainly isn't the same rider as 2017 anymore. But this season very well could have resulted in better gc performances than he archived in 2018 & 2019.

Arkea also could've instructed him to go for the polka dots jersey instead. But a top 5 was possible. It's a bit angry that it doesn't work off. But both him and Arkea couldn't do better.

It's not that much of a drama though, I suspect. They gonna be realistic about it.

TRENDING THREADS