• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 370 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Either way you look at it, you have to be really fcking stupid to take Tramadol as a professional cyclist, especially in the TDF when the chances are so much higher for it to be detected. It's quite baffling honestly
Not necessarily. If someone sells snake oil saying that it helps "cycling performance", many "riders" will take it. They are that crazy about "performance"

on his IG statement, Nairo claims he got more lucidity about his current fitness going to la Vuelta, which according to him it wasn't the best and in addition to the tramadol case, he decided not to compete in Spain so he can return home to prepare his defense so he can prove he didn't do anything wrong....

a bit vague, but certainly it is a case of the team asking him to go home, rather than him doing it voluntarily......

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I now hope that once more, bad publicity turns out to be good publicity (better bad publicity than no publicity) - for Nairo and his team.

I hope that Nairo will return to racing as soon as possible, that he will fulfill his Arkea contract for three more seasons (or even longer), and that he will give us joy with good races. He‘s had a great 2022 so far, with great results. He probably would have finished the Vuelta 2022 in Top-5 in GC.

IMHO, he can take as much Tramadol as he wants, or even take other stuff, whatever he wants and needs. Main thing is that he races, and performs nicely.

Nairo invests so much into his sport, and so does Arkea-Samsic. They shall be rewarded with nice results and good publicity, and not with some weird punishment. They do the things they do for our pleasure, to give us some nice moments or hours - and not for anything else…

I now hope that once more, bad publicity turns out to be good publicity (better bad publicity than no publicity) - for Nairo and his team.

I hope that Nairo will return to racing as soon as possible, that he will fulfill his Arkea contract for three more seasons (or even longer), and that he will give us joy with good races. He‘s had a great 2022 so far, with great results. He probably would have finished the Vuelta 2022 in Top-5 in GC.

IMHO, he can take as much Tramadol as he wants, or even take other stuff, whatever he wants and needs. Main thing is that he races, and performs nicely.

Nairo invests so much into his sport, and so does Arkea-Samsic. They shall be rewarded with nice results and good publicity, and not with some weird punishment. They do the things they do for our pleasure, to give us some nice moments or hours - and not for anything else…

My thoughts exactly - but about LA. Love

on his IG statement, Nairo claims he got more lucidity about his current fitness going to la Vuelta, which according to him it wasn't the best and in addition to the tramadol case, he decided not to compete in Spain so he can return home to prepare his defense so he can prove he didn't do anything wrong....

a bit vague, but certainly it is a case of the team asking him to go home, rather than him doing it voluntarily......
of course... he was swearing to ride Vuelta just two days ago... i think ultimately it's good his team "forced" (or maybe even he realized it after initial emotions faded) some sense into him because the backslash, bad publicity and constant talking about PEDs whenever he would be on camera during the race would just be too bad and too much. it's not like he had a chance to win it anyways. it wouldn't just be worth it imho.

-my 2 cents

The problem is that he has 10 days to appeal. Decision by the team or not, it would be realistically impossible for him to focus on racing when he only has 10 days to appeal. So he has very limited time to organize and talk to his lawyers about his appeal.

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
He wouldn't quit if didn't have already something, so that's likely a way of being critical of how Arkea handled the situation internally.

Or perhaps he was just given a tip saying that Arkea would break contract and just left while saving face.

I don't believe he will win his appeal.

I think that he will have a hard time finding a ride. I've enjoyed his exploits over the years, but at this point, what does he really offer a team that any 20-22 year old can't do for a lot less money (or two 20-22 year olds).
He was 6th in the Tour, top 5 in PN and Catalunya, super consistent and can farm 2.1 races. He is an ideal leader for a bottom half WT team who need points.

Alternativelyu, just based on his best climbing performances this year, you give him a contract for a Sepp Kuss role superdom in the Tour, with Vuelta leadership.

He was 6th in the Tour, top 5 in PN and Catalunya, super consistent and can farm 2.1 races. He is an ideal leader for a bottom half WT team who need points.

Alternativelyu, just based on his best climbing performances this year, you give him a contract for a Sepp Kuss role superdom in the Tour, with Vuelta leadership.
I think that the asking price (~$2 MIL euro) is probably too high for everything that you just typed. Can the bottom 1/2 teams afford him for points?

Maybe he's not worth 2M, but relegation battles should actually drive up prices of his kind of rider.

But you won't find a 20 year old with Quintana's results for less money than Quintana.

Sorry, couldn't resist, but Arkea have 21 year old Vauquelin who's already not far off Quintana's points for this year, and will likely exceed them next year. Plenty of other 20-22 year olds will do the same without costing their teams a small fortune, and don't come with bad PR and two or three otherwise worthless riders.

Sorry, couldn't resist, but Arkea have 21 year old Vauquelin who's already not far off Quintana's points for this year, and will likely exceed them next year. Plenty of other 20-22 year olds will do the same without costing their teams a small fortune, and don't come with bad PR and two or three otherwise worthless riders.

Vauquelin has farmed points in small races with a lot of points (like Luxembourg), his results are nowhere near Quintana's results. Also, it's Octobre already, best talent is under contract. There will be plenty off teams that don't really care about bad PR that go for him. My guess is also Astana, they really need someone or they will be nowhere again next year. They have the Nibali money sitting around and they have spots for his minions.

Vauquelin has farmed points in small races with a lot of points (like Luxembourg), his results are nowhere near Quintana's results. Also, it's Octobre already, best talent is under contract. There will be plenty off teams that don't really care about bad PR that go for him. My guess is also Astana, they really need someone or they will be nowhere again next year. They have the Nibali money sitting around and they have spots for his minions.

Well I was just talking about points, and not sure where else a non-exceptional 21yo on a Pro team is expected to earn them :) And assuming he continues his progression, being French will be of far more value to Arkea's sponsors in terms of publicity.

• Wow
Yeah, that was my first thought, too.

Quintana is still super good. He still scores victories, podiums and Top-10s from February to October. Movistar loses Valverde, so Quintana would be the perfect replacement.

Aaaand - I forgot: fellow Colombian Gaviria also will join Movistar.

Nairo repeatedly wore Green in stage races. He‘s one of the best GC guys when it comes to mass sprints and echelons.

Gaviria and Nairo could go for a 1-2 in Gent-Wevelgem, for example - it‘s clear that this means a Nairo victory in front of Gaviria… ;) :)

• Wow