• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 371 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Intrigued by the mechanism/motivation whereby Dayer Quintana, Anacona and Florez also leave Arkea. Could they have had contracts that were dependent on NQ being with the team? Are they so loyal that some threat of sanction against NA leads to them all walking out? And are they really confident that at this stage of he signings season any team will want to take on the entourage as part of signing NQ.

Edit: Why on Earth had I (twice) typed NA rather than NQ, now corrected. Well done to Laarsland below for working out what I meant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Intrigued by the mechanism/motivation whereby Dayer Quintana, Anacona and Florez also leave Arkea. Could they have had contracts that were dependent on NA being with the team? Are they so loyal that some threat of sanction against NA leads to them all walking out? And are they really confident that at this stage of he signings season any team will want to take on the entourage as part of signing NA.

Most likely extensions on their contracts would be offered only after Nairo had signed his this summer. Either that or clause that either side could activate if Nairo moved on.

French team it is:

From these three teams I can only see Cofidis as the only home for him. They are too dependent on the philosopher.

I was in France this summer and I think French people have a soft spot for Quintana. Every time I listen to French TV they are sayin the name Quintana once every 15 minutes (Maybe not so much but still). So I can understand why He would go to a French team. Additionally, these are the teams that could take his brother with him. And Anacona is not that bad that couldn't ride as a domestique for a French team, so it would not hurt them.

For some reason I wanted to see Quintana alongside Lopez at the Tour!!! LOL. Only in my dreams.

He's definitely popular here in France, at least with the ES commentators. they love calling him "Nairoman."

I have mixed feelings about Nairo. I like him as a rider but honestly feel that he has been skirting the edge of what's legal. Not sure that's a great look right now for a WT team, especially since the big French teams' stance has always been with the MPCC etc. I could see B&B or TotalEnergies or another team looking to take a step up sign him on a one-year deal, though.

The obvious move came to life:

Astana

Nairoman will join forces with Superman!!!

Yeah, they would make an entertaining duo: Nairo plus MAL!… Similar riders, both Colombian. They could do some damage in 2023‘s stage races… :)

Replacing Valverde or Nibali seem to be the two best options, I would say. Hope the transfer gets done quickly, so Nairo can have his holidays and winter preparation with a clear mind and a positive attitude. He‘s usually good from February on, so time to make plans for next season, now…

Last edited:
No Astana for Nairo.

I heard some radio talks yesterday and Nairo still trying to help his brother and compatriots. I have seen stubbornness in the past but not like this. But when you become so stubborn you start hurting your own future. LOL. This is ridiculous.
Yeah, Anacona isn't getting any younger himself, Florez had no good results this year and neither had Dayer. I guess a PCT team could still take them, but not a WT team...

• Wow
Dayer is probably the biggest issue. Flores was a rider that Arkea took a gamble on. He broke his leg early on and become a big issue on his performances. But he looked to be a rider with very good future. Not sure now. Anacona can maybe go to a Continental team and probably have more exposure than what he has now. Being in Arkea at the shadow of Quintana not sure what good was it for him. But he is older now.

The weird thing is the teams being very vocal about not wanting him. Not sure who is publishing all these news about the potential teams. If it is his agent I am not sure if he is making him any favors. I think his PR strategy is backfiring.

Dayer is probably the biggest issue. Flores was a rider that Arkea took a gamble on. He broke his leg early on and become a big issue on his performances. But he looked to be a rider with very good future. Not sure now. Anacona can maybe go to a Continental team and probably have more exposure than what he has now. Being in Arkea at the shadow of Quintana not sure what good was it for him. But he is older now.

The weird thing is the teams being very vocal about not wanting him. Not sure who is publishing all these news about the potential teams. If it is his agent I am not sure if he is making him any favors. I think his PR strategy is backfiring.
Maybe it's just a strategy to lowball him and no longer have him demand to sign 3 riders with him?

This is, regrettably, starting to feel like Nairo is done.
It looks like that but he wouldn't quit Arkea with a contract while not knowing he would not be signed.

Of course there's a chance that Arkea said "look, we have good reasons to end the contract after the Tramadol because of the negative impact on the team, so you might just leave. Either way, you won't be racing with us."

TRENDING THREADS