National Championship Discussion/Results

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mellow Velo said:
Well, sticking to the quantifiable.
I suppose the odds of Phil salvaging his season would be whatever the bookies would give on him completing that double.
Probably get substantially worse odds than even money, I suspect.
Look. If Gilbert sucks in the TDF prologue than I will agree with you, and say that he will have a terrible second season half too. I prefer to wait until then since it will be the second race where he should employ his supossedly regained abilities.
But let us be clear here, and you know this as well as me. If Gilbert is good in Lombardy then he will win, the worlds is less certain.
 
Matt Brammeier will soon forget what it's like to ride a race without shamrocks on his chest at this rate. Nobody has ever won three Irish nats in a row before. He's a smart rider. Last year, Dan Martin looked like the strongest man in the race. He smashed up the field but Brammeier beat him. This year Nicolas Roche looked like the strongest man all day and Brammeier beat him.
 
Had a great day witnessing the championships in Norway. Was standing right next to the finish line the entire race. Luckily, the weather forecast was completely wrong and it ended up being quite sunny and warm. The race was pretty good, with lots of attacks all the time. However, the course was luckily selective enough to make sure that the strongest won. EBH and Nordhaug were simply in a class of their own. Nordhaug's attack was pretty damn impressive, he was basically standing and spinning the pedals like crazy for 4 minutes or so. EBH then attacked from the group behind to join Nordhaug (which is perhaps a bit controversial, but ultimately didn't matter) and they easily pulled a minute on the chasing group.

Was quite interesting to see as they came by how Nordhaug and EBH looked as if they were on a calm coffee ride while Kristoff, Bystrøm and Stake Laengen were all breathing heavily, completely destroyed from the effort.
 
maltiv said:
Had a great day witnessing the championships in Norway. Was standing right next to the finish line the entire race. Luckily, the weather forecast was completely wrong and it ended up being quite sunny and warm. The race was pretty good, with lots of attacks all the time. However, the course was luckily selective enough to make sure that the strongest won. EBH and Nordhaug were simply in a class of their own. Nordhaug's attack was pretty damn impressive, he was basically standing and spinning the pedals like crazy for 4 minutes or so. EBH then attacked from the group behind to join Nordhaug (which is perhaps a bit controversial, but ultimately didn't matter) and they easily pulled a minute on the chasing group.

Was quite interesting to see as they came by how Nordhaug and EBH looked as if they were on a calm coffee ride while Kristoff, Bystrøm and Stake Laengen were all breathing heavily, completely destroyed from the effort.
It's a shame for Nordhaug that he wasn't able to show his best in Suisse due to injury/illness. Has he said anything about being omitted from the Tour team? He should look for a stage win at the Vuelta but I'm not sure how well he'll handle the heat...

It seems like EBH's form is ok then. The time trial was presumably a combination of not doing enough work on his TT bike this season and also because it came so soon after altitude camp.
 
Jul 24, 2011
468
0
0
Panda Claws said:
Look. If Gilbert sucks in the TDF prologue than I will agree with you, and say that he will have a terrible second season half too. I prefer to wait until then since it will be the second race where he should employ his supossedly regained abilities.
But let us be clear here, and you know this as well as me. If Gilbert is good in Lombardy then he will win, the worlds is less certain.
i have never seen a post so crammed with incoherent and utterly meaningless claims. u just make things up.. incredible really
 
Congrats to all the Champions. Pellizoti and Terpstras' were the most enjoyable.
Kohler was unexpcted but he did well. Demare has now been beat by Nacer twice in a row, he must be peeved.

EBH finally gets one. Boonen made his look easy. I am also very happy for Ventoso- who finally got the backing of Movistar, when he is faster than Rojas in a sprint.
 
JRanton said:
It's a shame for Nordhaug that he wasn't able to show his best in Suisse due to injury/illness. Has he said anything about being omitted from the Tour team? He should look for a stage win at the Vuelta but I'm not sure how well he'll handle the heat...

It seems like EBH's form is ok then. The time trial was presumably a combination of not doing enough work on his TT bike this season and also because it came so soon after altitude camp.
He was disappointed but expected it after his poor TdS. Personally I don't really care too much, if he had made the TDF team he would probably have had to do the early domestique work anyway. Even if he says his form is fantastic at the moment.

Hopefully he'll get selected for the Vuelta where he might get some more freedom.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
maltiv said:
He was disappointed but expected it after his poor TdS. Personally I don't really care too much, if he had made the TDF team he would probably have had to do the early domestique work anyway. Even if he says his form is fantastic at the moment.

Hopefully he'll get selected for the Vuelta where he might get some more freedom.
He can win the Tour of Poland. Maybe not the most appealing race on the calendar, but a WT win nonetheless.
 
jens_attacks said:
mancebo still is a top athlete.
and he always did well in the spanish champs
too bad ventoso will get this
Mancebo doesn't do well in the nationals. He just rides like a headless chicken, flapping his arms around and being absolutely stupid, tactics-wise, just so that people will remember he's still around.
 
woodenswan said:
i have never seen a post so crammed with incoherent and utterly meaningless claims. u just make things up.. incredible really
Am I?

Gilbert says that he is peaking again for the TDF, so I said that if he sucks there too this season is over.

Then I said that he could still salvage this season (IF he is good at the TDF again) because if he is good he will be very hard to beat in Lombardy and in the Worlds with a parcours like that.

So, do you deny that he a good Gilbert would be hard to beat, do you deny that if he still sucks at the TDF that it will be hard for him to be good at these races, or are you simply trolling?

Now, I agree that my last post was not very coherent but I did not make things up.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Panda Claws said:
Am I?

Gilbert says that he is peaking again for the TDF, so I said that if he sucks there too this season is over.

Then I said that he could still salvage this season (IF he is good at the TDF again) because if he is good he will be very hard to beat in Lombardy and in the Worlds with a parcours like that.

So, do you deny that he a good Gilbert would be hard to beat, do you deny that if he still sucks at the TDF that it will be hard for him to be good at these races, or are you simply trolling?

Now, I agree that my last post was not very coherent but I did not make things up.
I don't know if the new course in Lombardy is really that suited to Gilbert. After all, last year a climber who excels on the super steep stuff like Zaugg got away on the last climb, and Gilbert (maybe not in super form, but still much better than anything we've seen this year) couldn't follow.

To win the Worlds, Gilbert will also have to be really, really good. He needs to open up a gap on the Cauberg, last year's Gilbert could have done it but even that version of him would have struggled to keep it until the finish.
 
maltiv said:
That would be great. He's been reasonably good there the last two years and is obviously a lot stronger this year.
Poland has some other decent contenders aswell but Nordhaug certainly has a shot I was actually hoping Nordhaug wouldnt be selected for the TDF so he could do Pologne which should suit him really well. And then indeed I hope he can do Vuelta/Worlds at the end of the season.
 
Aug 2, 2010
1,502
0
0
Panda Claws said:
Am I?

Gilbert says that he is peaking again for the TDF, so I said that if he sucks there too this season is over.

Then I said that he could still salvage this season (IF he is good at the TDF again) because if he is good he will be very hard to beat in Lombardy and in the Worlds with a parcours like that.

So, do you deny that he a good Gilbert would be hard to beat, do you deny that if he still sucks at the TDF that it will be hard for him to be good at these races, or are you simply trolling?

Now, I agree that my last post was not very coherent but I did not make things up.
maybe you should realize that the 2011 gilbert isn't the true gilbert. take your own conclusions.
 
c&cfan said:
maybe you should realize that the 2011 gilbert isn't the true gilbert. take your own conclusions.
I agree with you that 2011 Gilbert was probably better than he'll ever be again.
But I also remember 2009 and 2010 Gilbert owning Lombardy.

And yes worlds will be very difficult to win, mainly because of the abundancy of Spanish guys.
 
Jul 24, 2011
468
0
0
Panda Claws said:
Am I?

Gilbert says that he is peaking again for the TDF, so I said that if he sucks there too this season is over.

Then I said that he could still salvage this season (IF he is good at the TDF again) because if he is good he will be very hard to beat in Lombardy and in the Worlds with a parcours like that.

So, do you deny that he a good Gilbert would be hard to beat, do you deny that if he still sucks at the TDF that it will be hard for him to be good at these races, or are you simply trolling?

Now, I agree that my last post was not very coherent but I did not make things up.
obviously, if he's on form he's a fav
what i meant by making things up is making up your own terms. you're making neat lil pacts: if he's good there then it is "certain" he will triumph in Lombardy. if he sucks in the prologue (and why on earth the prologue? how's that a good indication?) then his season is as good as over. talking in these extreme terms is what rubs many of us the wrong way. predictions are meant to be based on actual performances. what his brother was saying, what his team is saying, what the girlfriend of my brother in law's nephew overheard on the phone when Gilbert was casually chitchating with his grandmas's parrot are not indications. (and no, yesterday's desperate, failed attempt to make the catch is not something to base predictions on either) we just have to wait and see if he can build some form. right now, it's all up in the air
 
woodenswan said:
obviously, if he's on form he's a fav
what i meant by making things up is making up your own terms. you're making neat lil pacts: if he's good there then it is "certain" he will triumph in Lombardy. if he sucks in the prologue (and why on earth the prologue? how's that a good indication?) then his season is as good as over. talking in these extreme terms is what rubs many of us the wrong way. predictions are meant to be based on actual performances. what his brother was saying, what his team is saying, what the girlfriend of my brother in law's nephew overheard on the phone when Gilbert was casually chitchating with his grandmas's parrot are not indications. (and no, yesterday's desperate, failed attempt to make the catch is not something to base predictions on either) we just have to wait and see if he can build some form. right now, it's all up in the air
That is all true, I do not have any real facts.
I do not expect him to win the prologue or anything, just do well for his own abilities.
Why? Because he stated multiple times that he wanted to stay close in the prologue to have a chance of at yellow. So it is time for him to prove it.

But yeah, you are right I'll tone it down until he actually does something.
 
Very happy for Stannard.

Be great to see him in the jersey for the next year, no doubt working to pull back breaks for the team for much of it. Hope he gets some one day action as a leader.
 
Jul 10, 2009
311
0
0
Too bad Fischer didn't win in Brasil. I always liked their jersey, and seeing a member of my favorite team wearing it was awesome.

If Wiggins' British Champ jersey is anything to go by, EBH's should be classic.
 
May 3, 2010
360
0
0
How important is it for Trade Teams to have Nat'l Champs

:DDo Trade Teams urge their best riders to take part on their respective National Championships, or not? Most of the more conspicuous names don't bother, and just take a nap prior to the TdF.....The US is well known because some of it's best riders refuse to take part, or to be called for World Championships &/or Olympic Games.....This year lots of less than stellar names will proudly don their country flags with their trade jerseys....On the other hand, are Anti-Doping controls held during these meets? I know a place where they don't......Or where the most dynamic riders don't bother either........
 
Apr 10, 2011
4,819
0
0
Catwhoorg said:
Very happy for Stannard.

Be great to see him in the jersey for the next year, no doubt working to pull back breaks for the team for much of it. Hope he gets some one day action as a leader.
I am sure he'll be given lead in one Classic next year. It's probably something like Dwars Vlanadarren or Omloop.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS