• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National championships June 2021

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Exit interview Würtz:

"I had a long talk with Nicky Soerensen last night, and he said this was my year.
I get to wear the most beautiful jersey in the world, except for the one Alaphilippe is wearing.
Today was about who could suffer the most.
I fear going on the podium now, I may break down in tears".

I wish the British riders had the same level of respect for the national championships.

Right, I like lists, so here's one of "lone riders", as in; any who won despite not having any teammates. Road Race only coz not having teammates doesn't really matter in a ITT

Men Elite
Mads Würtz Schmidt
Tobias Foss
Silvan Dillier
George Bennett
Kevin Geniets
Marc Oliver Pritzen
Mikhel Räim
Jefferson Alexander Cepeda
Ignatas Konovalovas
Eder Frayre
Dusan Rajovic
Yousif Mirza
Joonas Henttala

Women Elite
Mavi Garcia
Amalie Dideriksen
Vita Heine
Marlen Reusser
Maria Martins
Tereza Neumenova
Georgia Williams
Christine Majerus
Aidi Gerde Tuisk
Lina Svarinska
Maja Perinovic
Jelena Eric
Blanka Kata Vas
Vera Looser
Antonia Gröndahl

Reactions: Sandisfan
Right, I like lists, so here's one of "lone riders", as in; any who won despite not having any teammates. Road Race only coz not having teammates doesn't really matter in a ITT

Men Elite
Mads Würtz Schmidt
Tobias Foss
Silvan Dillier
George Bennett
Kevin Geniets
Marc Oliver Pritzen
Mikhel Räim
Ignatas Konovalovas
Eder Frayre
Dusan Rajovic
Yousif Mirza
Joonas Henttala

Women Elite
Mavi Garcia
Amalie Dideriksen
Vita Heine
Marlen Reusser
Maria Martins
Tereza Neumenova
Georgia Williams
Christine Majerus
Aidi Gerde Tuisk
Lina Svarinska
Maja Perinovic
Jelena Eric
Blanka Kata Vas
Vera Looser
Antonia Gröndahl

I didn't watch it, but it's possible that Rait Ärm was helping Konovalovas in the Baltic race. The same goes for Lija Laizane and Aidi Gerde Tuisk in the women's race. It's also not unheard of, that riders might get some kind of help from former or future teammates/teams/clubs during the national championships.

Men Elite
Mads Würtz Schmidt
Tobias Foss
Silvan Dillier
George Bennett
Kevin Geniets
Marc Oliver Pritzen
Mikhel Räim
Ignatas Konovalovas
Eder Frayre
Dusan Rajovic
Yousif Mirza
Joonas Henttala

Women Elite
Mavi Garcia
Amalie Dideriksen
Vita Heine
Marlen Reusser
Maria Martins
Tereza Neumenova
Georgia Williams
Christine Majerus
Aidi Gerde Tuisk
Lina Svarinska
Maja Perinovic
Jelena Eric
Blanka Kata Vas
Vera Looser
Antonia Gröndahl
You can add Ponomar to that list.

Reactions: RedheadDane
  • Haha
I didn't watch it, but it's possible that Rait Ärm was helping Konovalovas in the Baltic race. The same goes for Lija Laizane and Aidi Gerde Tuisk in the women's race. It's also not unheard of, that riders might get some kind of help from former or future teammates/teams/clubs during the national championships.

Well, they were officially lone riders. Of course a whole new can of worm gets opened when you have multiple-races-in-one style championships.

Well, they were officially lone riders. Of course a whole new can of worm gets opened when you have multiple-races-in-one style championships.

Let's agree to define them as being lone riders with an asterisk.

Having an open Scandinavian championship, not every year but from time to time, could be interesting, and it would perhaps also increase the possibility of a climber becoming Danish champion if it were to be decided in Norway.

Let's agree to define them as being lone riders with an asterisk.

Having an open Scandinavian championship, not every year but from time to time, could be interesting, and it would perhaps also increase the possibility of a climber becoming Danish champion if it were to be decided in Norway.

Whoever won the Swedish Men's Road Race would be whoever manages to sneak into the large group of Danes and Norwegians.

Whoever won the Swedish Men's Road Race would be whoever manages to sneak into the large group of Danes and Norwegians.

Yes, and that is of course the problem with putting it on every year, that it would perhaps devaluate the local aspect of it. And it could create tensions, if Uno-X start riding for both the Danish and the Norwegian titles with their full squad.

Just out of interest, this is how the Baltics men elite finished combined:

1. LAT1 Skujins
  2. EST1 Raim +15''
  3. EST2 Lauk +2'14''
  4. EST3 Jakin +2'36''
  5. LTU1 Konovalovas +2'39''
  6. LAT2 Flaksis +2'40''
  7. EST4 Pajur +3'08''
  8. EST5 Kivistik +7'34''
  9. LAT3 Bogdanovics +8'38''
  10. LAT4 Vosekalns s.t.
  11. LTU2 Mikutis +8'49''
So it seems almost everyone finished alone within their country race while some might have struck an alliance with riders from another country finishing around the same time. Certainly an interesting added layer to the dynamics of the race...

Just out of interest, this is how the Baltics men elite finished combined:

1. LAT1 Skujins
  2. EST1 Raim +15''
  3. EST2 Lauk +2'14''
  4. EST3 Jakin +2'36''
  5. LTU1 Konovalovas +2'39''
  6. LAT2 Flaksis +2'40''
  7. EST4 Pajur +3'08''
  8. EST5 Kivistik +7'34''
  9. LAT3 Bogdanovics +8'38''
  10. LAT4 Vosekalns s.t.
  11. LTU2 Mikutis +8'49''
So it seems almost everyone finished alone within their country race while some might have struck an alliance with riders from another country finishing around the same time. Certainly an interesting added layer to the dynamics of the race...
Yeah, by the similar times I would guess there was a Baltic Triad chase group that rode together with Jakob getting a bit of a gap at the finish?

So, the Estonian/Latvian/Lithuanian races was one race.

E4VfOQgWYAUXqW5

Konovalovas barely ages for someone who had won things in the different Baltic epoch of Rumsas (and Kirsippu, and Belohvosciks etc.)

Irish nationals are belatedly on at the moment.

Ryan Mullen (Trek) resumed his reign as men’s elite TT champion after a blip last year.

The Women’s elite TT was won by Joanne Patterson, a runner turned triathlete turned cyclist, in her first attempt at a national championships.

Kevin McCambridge, a 19 year old based in France with Amical Veloclub Aixois, won the u23 time trial.

In the juniors, predictably enough Darren Rafferty (Team 31 Jollycycles) put multiple minutes into everyone else in both the TT and the RR. That’s just what happens when one of the top juniors is from a small country, there’s no real competition.

Men‘s and women’s elite RRs are tomorrow

Irish nationals are belatedly on at the moment.

Ryan Mullen (Trek) resumed his reign as men’s elite TT champion after a blip last year.

The Women’s elite TT was won by Joanne Patterson, a runner turned triathlete turned cyclist, in her first attempt at a national championships.

Kevin McCambridge, a 19 year old based in France with Amical Veloclub Aixois, won the u23 time trial.

In the juniors, predictably enough Darren Rafferty (Team 31 Jollycycles) put multiple minutes into everyone else in both the TT and the RR. That’s just what happens when one of the top juniors is from a small country, there’s no real competition.

Men‘s and women’s elite RRs are tomorrow
Where are they happening?

TRENDING THREADS