• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 738 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I could be wrong, but I think he, and Nix, will both go in the first round. Maybe early. Teams almost always overdraft QBs. They see someone like Penix and the Huskies going 14-1, look at player stats (skewed, as they play plenty of weak NCAA teams) and think "maybe he can do that to our team!" As to the championship game, plenty of QBs have faced that much adversity, or more, and played better, even won.

But I can only repeat what I said before. I'll be surprised if Penix can get through an entire 17 game NFL season with his history of injuries in college. Look at how many healthy, professional QBs went down last year, many of them with little or no injury history. And this is assuming his game play translates well to the NFL. A very risky pick to me, but I think he'll be taken in the 1st round anyway. Maybe even as soon as Denver at 12.

Raiders badly need a right tackle. They also need a guard, and a CB. They could also use a LB who can cover. I'm not convinced Penix will be better than either O'Connell, or Minshew for that matter.
You've been talking up this kid since December, and I agree with you. He was solid on a team/offense that wasn't. I don't see any of the top draft prospects coming in and outplaying him. In the long run will they have better careers than him? That is the $$$$ question.

I could be wrong, but I think he, and Nix, will both go in the first round. Maybe early. Teams almost always overdraft QBs. They see someone like Penix and the Huskies going 14-1, look at player stats (skewed, as they play plenty of weak NCAA teams) and think "maybe he can do that to our team!" As to the championship game, plenty of QBs have faced that much adversity, or more, and played better, even won.

But I can only repeat what I said before. I'll be surprised if Penix can get through an entire 17 game NFL season with his history of injuries in college. Look at how many healthy, professional QBs went down last year, many of them with little or no injury history. And this is assuming his game play translates well to the NFL. A very risky pick to me, but I think he'll be taken in the 1st round anyway. Maybe even as soon as Denver at 12.

Raiders badly need a right tackle. They also need a guard, and a CB. They could also use a LB who can cover. I'm not convinced Penix will be better than either O'Connell, or Minshew for that matter.
Let's be honest and suggest it'll be hard for any QB to get through 17 games without injury? As for being a risky pick; I think we all agree 1st round QBs are seldom worth as much as an O or D lineman that can stay with the team for 10 years and the rarity of a reliable 1st round starter is what every coach prays for so his job doesn't end that season. Tight Ends come a strong second IMO as well for durable value.

You've been talking up this kid since December, and I agree with you. He was solid on a team/offense that wasn't. I don't see any of the top draft prospects coming in and outplaying him. In the long run will they have better careers than him? That is the $$$$ question.
Here's the thing. Aiden O'Connell isn't Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning, though he has a similar classic pocket passer style. He'll never, ever be like Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson. But he doesn't have to be. He's smart, has a good arm, and steadily improved throughout last season. His two biggest issues were forcing the ball in early games (though he ended the season on a 9/0 TD to Int. streak) and he's not very mobile. But this too he doesn't need to be. Moving in and around and out of the pocket enough can be taught. His deep field accuracy needs some work, but this can be worked on and taught too, because the arm strength is there. In this regard I sort of liken O'Connell to Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, maybe Eli Manning. Won a lot of games, and rings (sorry Matt, you should have!). Two similar style of players today that perhaps could be a goal to aspire to are Joe Burrow and Matt Stafford. They too are mostly pocket passers, rarely run, but move and extend plays quite well.

Now, if the Raiders trade the farm away to move up and get Jayden Daniels, all bets are off. I don't think they are going to do this, and if they did, they would probably deal O'Connell away in the process.

The fans have just about had it. I think it's do or die for Payton this season - win & get to the playoffs or else. Payton wasn't brought here on a rebuilding platform but to starting winning immediately (he even said last year's team was playoff caliber & that he'd be "pissed" if they didn't make the playoffs).

And I'm wondering with this move if he thinks he can turn Wilson into another Steve Young. Lol. I guess we'll see on Thursday - if the Broncos don't take a QB in the 1st, then Wilson is the guy for 2024.

Last edited:
The fans have just about had it. I think it's do or die for Payton this season - win & get to the playoffs or else. Payton wasn't brought here on a rebuilding platform but to starting winning immediately (he even said last year's team was playoff caliber & that he'd be "pissed" if they didn't make the playoffs).

And I'm wondering with this move if he thinks he can turn Wilson into another Steve Young. Lol. I guess we'll see on Thursday - if the Broncos don't take a QB in the 1st, then Wilson is the guy for 2024.
Coach Saints got credit for a lot of what Drew Brees did over time. He may as well enjoy the ride while the dollar$ are rolling in.

I would think he would retire while the going is good. 66 yrs old & overweight/obese - I'm surprised he doesn't have health problems. He looks like he's a heart attack waiting to happen.
Seems the SB win kick started him. There was rumors of retirement a year or two ago. Maybe he does have some health issues and he has had a long and successful career already. Chiefs want to keep a good thing going it seems and they have every chance of winning again in the upcoming season. Shanahan can't seem to get over the final hurdle at the moment

Reactions: Nomad
Great love by the Lions. I hope they can keep progressing off this year and not turn into the Titans from 2019-present.

Then you just can’t make this up. How would you feel if Raiders put AB in their HoF Alpe?

View: https://twitter.com/CtespnN/status/1783141114259681504?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1783141114259681504%7Ctwgr%5E676f15cf000ca40e7807898275765e1507b5108a%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportingnews.com%2Fus%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2Fantonio-brown-retires-raiders-never-played%2Fe05bc791f5382dc28e4e3d43

Reactions: Nomad