• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Carolina vs gb, week 2

Newton, horrible .... disastrous run play on 3rd and 1 to blow the drive for the panthers. And then with the score 30-16 he flicks the ball with his elbow about 45 yards right into his receiver's hands. Didn't even look like he made an effort.

He has a lot to learn, but .... it's fun again. It's going to take a while to get used to enjoying watching the panthers play, win or lose.

They used to be about as much fun as watching a plumber clean out a clogged drain...and that was when they won.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Bills vs Raiders

Got hooked into this game in the second half. In Los Angeles television market had this game and New Orleans and Chicago. As a SF fan, like to watch the NFC. I watched the New Orleans game until it got ugly and was decided. I switched to the now close Bills/Raider game. Can't watch a whole Raider game as I hate the Raiders.

Game was great up to the point with 20 some seconds left in the 4th as the Bills are driving. It is 3rd and 10 and just as the Bills line up, will they score? Will they pick up the first down? So close!!! Then commercials come on. Los Angeles based TV is cutting away to show the Charger vs Patriot game kick off....

I will never understand why it is good to cut away from a great game to show the kick off of another. Do like the NBA, stay with the early game, showing highlights when you can...

So unhappy I missed the Bills winning TD. Another reason I need to get drop cable TV and get NFL package. I got a great deal with my cable bundle. Got to see if the year is up.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I used to be a Raiders fan, if you can believe that, until malcontent owner Al Davis started messing with the team too much. I recall a quote by then DT Howie Long in about 1989 that went something like this... "Don't think that with the best owner in the NFL that the Raiders will not return to glory" (e.g. as a major contender for the SB). That is about when Davis's tinkering was obsessive to a fault. And it has not happened yet for the Raiders. There was a time there when I felt good coaches did not want to work for the controlling Al Davis. But now I think they are on the rise. So, we'll see.

Yeah, A. Luck was solid last night. He went 20/31 for 325 yards passing, which is not eye-popping Bradyesque. But I really like his throwing ACCURATELY on the run... something Seattle is going to need for a while. :( But Seattle really might get a shot at Luck in the next draft, because right now it looks very plausible they will end up in the NFL cellar.

Based on two weeks play, Kansas City and Indy may be with Seattle in the cellar. I have not seen KC play on TV, just see the scores as they scroll by, they look horrible. Playing in the NFC West may help get Seattle a win or two this year to keep them out of the cellar.

A

Anonymous

ggusta said:
Newton, horrible .... disastrous run play on 3rd and 1 to blow the drive for the panthers. And then with the score 30-16 he flicks the ball with his elbow about 45 yards right into his receiver's hands. Didn't even look like he made an effort.

He has a lot to learn, but .... it's fun again. It's going to take a while to get used to enjoying watching the panthers play, win or lose.

They used to be about as much fun as watching a plumber clean out a clogged drain...and that was when they won.

Just got back from the game, and while it was not a win, or even that pretty several times, Newton is going to be great I think. He has some things to learn, and we have to develop a running game, but that pass to Smith on the final drive while on the run was freaking amazing. Can't blame him either for Smith's bonehead play. If we had a running game, the red zone offense would be much better. O line needs some work.

And I will say this again, to see him live offers something that just doesn't come across on TV, but that guy is HUGE compared to the people around him.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
jobiwan said:
GOOOO Titans!!!!

Congrats, I was watching this online and was rooting for the Ravens, natch. Sadly, they were never in it as Hasselbeck had a fine game and the Ravens never managed to get out of second gear.

There was no stream for the Skins, so I had to follow the nail-biting finish by text on the NFL site, where they kept f***ing up the updates so that the last minute of time lasted a good 10 minutes for me before I was sure that we'd won by one point.

Then I switched to the Bills game where the NFL let me watch the last minutes for free!:cool: A remarkable comeback by Buffalo, and who would ever have thought that they and the Skins would be 2-0?

McNabb losing again just added icing to my cake. If the Cowgirls lose too my happiness will be complete! :D

Believe it or not, on the Yahoo NFL group I'm in, I changed my picks to Buffalo and Washington this morning before the games. Wish I were smart enough to have changed the Indy-Cleveland and Miami-Houston picks.

How about them Titans! We had talked about them being underrated, but what a great win. Baltimore was probably still thinking of last week's win. But to lose at home, wow!

Cam Newton made a few mistakes, but still, they played the SB champ Packers close for nearly the whole game.

If you're willing to watch low quality, and navigate around, you can stream games online. Here's a list of sites. Some may be offline.

This one usually works. Again, not the best quality, ads, links, blah. But free.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
How about them Titans! We had talked about them being underrated, but what a great win. Baltimore was probably still thinking of last week's win. But to lose at home, wow!
They played in Nashville. Ah, the ubiquitous justin.tv ;) Thanks for the links - I usually use this site .

As much as I dislike the Cowboys, I've got to give big props to Romo for his perfomance in the fourth quarter and in OT when playing with a cracked rib. Another surprising come from behind win.

rides like a girl said:
Based on two weeks play, Kansas City and Indy may be with Seattle in the cellar. I have not seen KC play on TV, just see the scores as they scroll by, they look horrible. Playing in the NFC West may help get Seattle a win or two this year to keep them out of the cellar.

KC has a legit shot at the cellar. Not Indy though. The NFC West should help Seattle, but won't because the other NFC West teams are more on the rise than Seattle. Seattle has had too many coaching changes (new OC, new line coach) and too many player personnel changes (new QB, pretty much a new OL, plus defensive changes) to really challenge. It's going to take a year under the new system and getting to know each other for them to challenge for anything higher than the cellar.

Yes, how bout them Titans! Beating the team I thought would beat them. I did not see the game, but from the stats it looks like Tenn pretty much owned the game (based on time of possession). Looks like Hass must have played pretty well. Just hope he gets protection by the OL, doesn't take many hits, and stays healthy. I'd just like to see more of a running game from them by the RB's getting more yards per carry (than the measly 2.2 ypc Johnson got). The offensive balance between the number of run and pass plays (29 run, 42 pass) was not too bad though.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I think I'll refrain from making picks from now on. As it turns out, the three I made were all wrong :eek:

Excellent game from the Titans....

The Philly/ATL game was what I expected with the score reversed. Great game.

How bout them buccaneers...overcoming a 17 point lead and taking the win. :D

ImmaculateKadence said:
I think I'll refrain from making picks from now on. As it turns out, the three I made were all wrong :eek:

Excellent game from the Titans....

The Philly/ATL game was what I expected with the score reversed. Great game.

How bout them buccaneers...overcoming a 17 point lead and taking the win. :D

Welcome to my picks world, sometimes anyway.

As for the Bucs, that's okay just as long as they don't do that to my Falcons next week, even if I like both teams.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Chargers!! you ruined my lunch, the Lagunitas pils I was enjoying. You made me cough up 60 bucks in lost pride and cash at 20 dollars per NE fans that ensured me super Tom Brady was the best player in the NFL. I am really bitter

Nfl week 3 predictions

NFL WEEK 3 PREDICTIONS:
SUNDAY
1. JAGS at PANTHERS. Cam Newton goes “off”. Panthers over Jags.
2. LIONS at VIKES. Love the new Lions, FINALLY. Lions over Vikes.
3. NINERS at BENGALS. Could be a close one. But 49-ers over Bengals.
4. FINS at THE DOG POUND. Another close one. Fins over Browns.
5. PATS at BUFFALO. The Pats win hands down.
6. GIANTS at EAGLES. Vick is questionable with concussion. If Vick plays Eagles win. Vick does not play, Giants win.
7. BRONCS at TITANS. Johnson goes wild. Titans win.
8. TEXANS at SAINTS. May be close, but Saints win.
9. JETS at RAIDERS. Key injuries on Jets OL, but Jets win a close one.
10. RAVES at RAMS. Improved Rams just don’t have enough. RAVES.
11. FALCONS at BUCS. Big game for both. Tough call, but I’ll take Atlanta.
12. CHIEFS at BOLTS. Not close. Chargers over Chiefs.
13. PACKERS at BEARS. Not close. Pack over the Bears.
14. CARDS at (D-)HAWKS. If C-Hawks don’t win they may lose them all. Reshuffled Hawk OL with Gallery out. Still, Hawks over Cards.
15. STEELERS at COLTS. This will cure insomnia. Not close. Steelers win.
MONDAY
16. SKINS at COWBOYS. The ‘Boys’.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
NFL WEEK 3 PREDICTIONS:
SUNDAY
1. JAGS at PANTHERS. Cam Newton goes “off”. Panthers over Jags.
2. LIONS at VIKES. Love the new Lions, FINALLY. Lions over Vikes.
3. NINERS at BENGALS. Could be a close one. But 49-ers over Bengals.
4. FINS at THE DOG POUND. Another close one. Fins over Browns.
5. PATS at BUFFALO. The Pats win hands down.
6. GIANTS at EAGLES. Vick is questionable with concussion. If Vick plays Eagles win. Vick does not play, Giants win.
7. BRONCS at TITANS. Johnson goes wild. Titans win.
8. TEXANS at SAINTS. May be close, but Saints win.
9. JETS at RAIDERS. Key injuries on Jets OL, but Jets win a close one.
10. RAVES at RAMS. Improved Rams just don’t have enough. RAVES.
11. FALCONS at BUCS. Big game for both. Tough call, but I’ll take Atlanta.
12. CHIEFS at BOLTS. Not close. Chargers over Chiefs.
13. PACKERS at BEARS. Not close. Pack over the Bears.
14. CARDS at (D-)HAWKS. If C-Hawks don’t win they may lose them all. Reshuffled Hawk OL with Gallery out. Still, Hawks over Cards.
15. STEELERS at COLTS. This will cure insomnia. Not close. Steelers win.
MONDAY
16. SKINS at COWBOYS. The ‘Boys’.

Bring it on birdy boy! I have too good of day planned for tomorrow for my Bucs to ruin it with a loss. The football Gods are on my side :D

As for other picks:
1)Jax will be starting the guy that looks like a girl. The panthers can and should win...though I hope not.
2) Lions...yup
3)Niners
4)Can't say...kinda like the phins
5)Pats, but I think Buffalo might be impressive in defeat.
6)Agreed, but they should have confidence in Kafka...he shares a last name with a favorite author of mine, so he wins
7)What you said.
8) Saints...unfortunately :(
9) Jets...may not be close
10) Ravens...though I'd like to see Caddy get going.
11) :rolleyes:
12) The 2nd lamest logo but arguable coolest helmet in the NFL will prevail.
13) Always a physical game...Bears maybe, but Pack
14) Not sure many people will care :p
15) Most boring game of the week. Steelers by a lot!
16) The self proclaimed "Americas team"

ImmaculateKadence said:
Bring it on birdy boy!
As for other picks:
1)Jax will be starting the guy that looks like a girl. The panthers can and should win...though I hope not.
2) Lions...yup
3)Niners
4)Can't say...kinda like the phins
5)Pats, but I think Buffalo might be impressive in defeat.
6)Agreed, but they should have confidence in Kafka...he shares a last name with a favorite author of mine, so he wins
7)What you said.
8) Saints...unfortunately :(
9) Jets...may not be close
10) Ravens...though I'd like to see Caddy get going.
11) :rolleyes:
12) The 2nd lamest logo but arguable coolest helmet in the NFL will prevail.
13) Always a physical game...Bears maybe, but Pack
14) Not sure many people will care :p
15) Most boring game of the week. Steelers by a lot!
16) The self proclaimed "Americas team"

LOL about birdy boy! At first I thought you might have meant my pick of C-hawks over Cards (two birds there), since I knew my Hawk pick was not going to be the popular or most logical one. But had to read down before realizing you meant the Falcons, even though I expected a salvo of flames and cannonballs over my ATL pick. :D

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Amazing Sunday and it is only the early games...

State of New York win big with the NY football Giants win over the "dream team" Eagles. Vick with a broken hand! Will the Jets make NY a perfect 3-0 by beating the Raiders? I wonder when the last time that happened?

Not to be outdone by the Giants the Bills pick off Brady 4 times and come from behind yet again! Some people might start believing in this team besides those living in Buffalo!

Vikings let another lead evaporate and the Lions win in Minnesota for the first time in 31 years!

To make my day my 49ers travel East and win the early game! Good football day for me so far!

Simple question for NFL fans here.

If you lived in a city/state that previously didnt have a franchise, who did you cheer for? and do you still cheer for that team or the now resident franchise.

For example, if you live in North Carolina, who did you cheer for before the Panthers arrived and do you still cheer for them or the Panthers.

Does geographic location play any part in choosing who to cheer for.

I'm from Oregon and we have never had an NFL team. I have always cheered for west coast teams, though I don't have a favorite team. Oakland, SF, Seattle, SD. I never really was a Rams fan though. Don't care that much for the city of LA. I also tend to not like teams from New York in general, and get tired of teams that win all the time (Pittsburgh, New England, etc.).

A

Anonymous

pmcg76 said:

If you lived in a city/state that previously didnt have a franchise, who did you cheer for? and do you still cheer for that team or the now resident franchise.

For example, if you live in North Carolina, who did you cheer for before the Panthers arrived and do you still cheer for them or the Panthers.

I am from NC, and cheered for the Redskins before the Panthers. Now that we have the Panthers, they are my team. Period. I don't look to see what the Redskins are doing or go out of my way to watch their games. I will say that in that division, I do root for them because I hate the Eagles and the Cowgirls. The Giants don't bother me too much, but I prefer the Skins over the other 3.

Outside of that, I like San Diego just because.

Meanwhile, a great week in the NFL! Some really exciting games, and surprising upsets, or just surprises.

Thought the Raiders would play the Jets tough, but not beat them the way they did. I did not however expect the Giants to pound out the Eagles like that. I've thought all along the Eagles could be beaten in physical games, with power running, but to lose to the Giants by 13, at home?

The Chiefs almost came back from the dead to beat the Chargers. Looks like they are finally waking up. Vikings came so close against Detroit.

Arizona couldn't have played worse against Seattle. But give the Seahawk secondary credit, they did a great job.

Atlanta's loss to TB, the way they blew it, ouch.

Are the Bills for real? Sole possession on top of the tough AFC East.

At the rate some of these games went, tonight we'll see Indy beat Pittsburgh!

Look at who is in, or tied for first place: Buffalo, Cleveland, Tennessee, Oakland, Detroit, San Francisco!

Agree 100% with those takes, Alpe.

I just wish we had a few more games like the Carolina/Jags game... real football being played the in the rain, slop, and mud.

On Seattle, I'll also add the DL did a great job. But, sorry to say for Arizona, maybe the best Seattle defender was the Cards FG kicker Jay Feely. The ones he missed were long, 49 and 51 yarders, but that's 6 points they could have used.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:

I am in the Los Angeles market. We had one team for a while, then two now none. When we get another team, I will root for that team but my favorite will always be the 49ers.

I learned football from watching and hearing about the Steelers from my granddad who was from Pittsburgh but moved to Cali due to those cold winters. When he passed, I felt I needed my own team. I asked my dad who he was a fan of, the Los Angeles Rams. I asked him who he hated, he said the Niners. So being a punky kid, I picked the 49ers for my team. That was during Joe Montana's rookie year. Needless to say I had a long run of making my dad's viewing miserable.

Football and cycling are the only sports I don't like the local team. Baseball and Basketball like the LA teams. Cycling not a fan of american cycling, like aggressive climbers, not many Americans fit in that formula.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I am from NC, and cheered for the Redskins before the Panthers. Now that we have the Panthers, they are my team. Period. I don't look to see what the Redskins are doing or go out of my way to watch their games. I will say that in that division, I do root for them because I hate the Eagles and the Cowgirls. The Giants don't bother me too much, but I prefer the Skins over the other 3.

Something to agree on;)

Some truly unbelievable results today, as has already been mentioned. Anyone who would have suggested that the only unbeaten teams at this stage, apart from the Packers, would be the Lions, Bills and Skins (may change tomorrow), would have been locked up for his own safety. Must say that I'm really pleased for the Bills, as we were already getting all the mouth about Brady's amazing stats and were the Pats going to stay unbeaten, blah, blah. I never really had anything against the Vikings, but I am getting one hell of a kick out of seeing McNabb fail and them blowing three consecutive halftime leads. :D

Schadenfreude ist die schoenste Freude. :cool:

TRENDING THREADS