• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 114 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wilson, defense, skill position players. Those guys will get their accolades after last night. The thing I was most impressed with was the OLine. First time the starters have all been together since week, what, 2 or 4. It showed by Wilson not being bothered by much most of the night. It also showed by turning TE Zack Miller loose, who (without all starting OLmen) has been used a lot to help block. But last night he had a Hawk high 5 receptions including 1 TD, a long of 60 yards, and they even split him out. It's almost like NO forgot he was on the field on some plays.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Panthers Saints.

This should be great. Saints need to win and Carolina is scary. Seattle will play SF hard and I think they'd hope SF will take a lot out of whatever remains from the Carolina/NO battles. Seattle could "let down" a little in some of the upcoming games to be fresh.

Seahawks definitely play better at home, though when I actually checked out scores, the difference was not as major as I had thought it might be. Average score in 6 home games: 33-14. In six road games: 29-20. They had a couple of road games they barely won, Carolina (we now know is a very good team), but also the Rams. But also barely beat TB at home. So they don’t always play great in Seattle, though a lot of their struggles at that time were probably due to missing OL.

Contrast that with the Saints. 6-0 at home, 3-3 on the road. Average score at home: 33-16, almost identical to Seattle. But average score on the road: 19-22, they’re actually outscored. Even if you disregard the Seattle game, their average score on the road is just 21-20. So you could argue that the Saints are actually more dependent on home field than Seattle, and that might have factored partly into the blowout last night. The Saints generally don’t play well outside of domes.

But not all teams play better at home. Look at the 49ers; 4-2 at home, 4-2 on the road. Average home score: 23-17. Average road score: 26-16, and if you don’t include the blowout to Seattle, 31-13.

These are small sample sizes, and can be affected by the quality of teams they happen to play at home and on the road. But I’d give the 49ers a better chance in Seattle (where they will be if they are the expected 6th seed and win their WC playoff game on the road), than NO. Their defense right now is playing great, comparable to Seattle’s. Their offense has been struggling, but should be helped a lot with the return of Crabtree. Unfortunately they lost one of their best OL, Joe Staley, and I think he may be out for the season.

Alpe d'Huez said:
As to the noise, I think teams are just going to have to suck it up and deal with it. Hand signals, silent snap counts. If college teams can do it, the pro's can. It will be a bit of a disadvantage for visiting teams, but that's part of what earning HFA and winning all those games is about. Similar to the brutal weather in Green Bay so often helping the Packers in the playoffs. Don't want to deal with it? Then build as good of team, and start winning regular season games. And it's not like Seattle can't win on the road. They are 5-1, losing only a close game to the Colts.

Yop. Next thing is he'll be proposing something ridiculous like penalizing teams 15 yards or forfeiting games for excessive crowd noise.

Coach of the year: who do you all think should get it, if the season were to end right now?
- Pete Carroll? (Not my top choice since this season is not a major turnaround)
- Andy Reid? (Big turnaround, even if Denver brought them back to earth)
- Ron Rivera? (Great defense & maturing Cam Newton with the offense helps Ron evolve)
- Bill Bilichick? (For doing fine with less... or Brady is MVP)
- Bruce Arians? (Longshot)
- Chip Kelly? (Longshot)
I'd prolly pick Rivera or Reid, in that order.

Merckx index said:
d

But not all teams play better at home. Look at the 49ers; 4-2 at home, 4-2 on the road. Average home score: 23-17. Average road score: 26-16, and if you don’t include the blowout to Seattle, 31-13.
Or jags, I bet if you do the calculations for them their away home difference is going to be bigger than the saints. And that's not even taking into account that 2 of their away games were the 2 superbowl favourites.
At home they have scored in all their games put together 35 points, which I think is less than Denver's average ppg but with their away record they could be a playoff team.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Coach of the year: who do you all think should get it, if the season were to end right now?
- Pete Carroll? (Not my top choice since this season is not a major turnaround)
- Andy Reid? (Big turnaround, even if Denver brought them back to earth)
- Ron Rivera? (Great defense & maturing Cam Newton with the offense helps Ron evolve)
- Bill Bilichick? (For doing fine with less... or Brady is MVP)
- Bruce Arians? (Longshot)
- Chip Kelly? (Longshot)
I'd prolly pick Rivera or Reid, in that order.

Reid? Me, never... but journos elect him? Yep. The bad it is. I recently read about Celek. His comment: "Year in year out we did the same. Nothing new all those years." Goes right into the way i wrote about him. Not going for it even when it cries out to do so, no prep for DEN after a bye-week even tough he´s got 22 assistants, timid style...

My picks: AFC Bill Bilichick. No WRS but still got the offense going lately, defense improved dramatically, and another winning season (12 in a row now?). He is the best, no question...

NFC: Too close to call. "Riverboat Ron" for his new found guts. The pass offense declined (speak Smith), yet he started to win (close) games. Has a lot to do with improved D, but also with going for it which prolongs drives which lead to important TDS which lead to wins.
Or Kelly. My vote for now b/c the O works outstanding, the D got on track, and especially since Easteregg wrote him off after just 4 weeks. This guy is so annoying (& of course wrong most of times) that it would mean a slap into his face for the BS he writes at ESPN. And a slap to sour loser Arians who first arrogantly called Kellys O a "college offense", and after he lost, played the cry game, sending 15 plays to NFL headquarters that the refs called a bad PHI-ARZ game (note: Pens were almost even).

I'll make predictions later, but there are a couple potentially excellent games this week:

Carolina at New Orleans. This will go a ways to showing who is in the driver's seat for the NFC South. If anyone can beat the Saints in NO, it's the Panthers.

Indy is playing at Cincy. This game is important because it takes a step to showing who will get the #3 seed in the AFC playoffs. With that, they would host a team like Tennessee, Miami, San Diego, Baltimore etc. While the lesser team (loser of this game?) has to host Kansas City.

Seattle is playing at SF. This game doesn't do much for the playoff picture, but it is significant and a huge rivalry right now, with both teams great. #2 and #3 defenses in NFL in points allowed (Panthers #1).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
(1) I'll make predictions later, but there are a couple potentially excellent games this week:

(2) Indy is playing at Cincy. This game is important because it takes a step to showing who will get the #3 seed in the AFC playoffs. With that, they would host a team like Tennessee, Miami, San Diego, Baltimore etc. While the lesser team (loser of this game?) has to host Kansas City.

(1) Q @ all: For what we do the picks? There is no discussions after, and I guess nobody keeps record... :confused:

(2) Now the Q is if it would be a disadvantage to host the 29th ranked O, and a D that is declining at furious speed...
I´d rather prepare for a predictable and lame KC offense than a red hot team on a winning streak entering the playoffs (whoever that is then).

Sometimes we do go back and look. Well, I do so sometimes. Though next season we should try Survival Football (and Elimination Football). Very easy to play, easy and fun to look back on.

You bring up a good point about not wanting to play a hot team in the playoffs. The Giants won both of their recent SBs this way. And like you, I don't see an Andy Reid team getting to the SB the way he coaches.

What about Jeff Fisher going for it in 4th a few times last week? Even in his own territory?

Meanwhile, NFL fined Tomlin $100,000k, and may suspend him or strip them of a draft pick. That would be drastic and unfair to he rest of the team to me. The referees have been properly downgraded for not flagging (and ejecting?) him. Finally, the Steelers don't get away with something...right?!

HOU@JAX

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
(1) Q @ all: For what we do the picks? There is no discussions after, and I guess nobody keeps record... :confused:.

For me, my answer is back on p.270 post (time, my pick results, & rather post about other topics). When I'd predict I used to keep my own records and others prolly did the same. But I still will predict on certain games and I like seeing what others think. Trike Rider was going to set up the Survival Football that Alpe mentioned. When I say "set up" I'm not sure what that entails, but my guess is an explanation how it works, establishing rules, and who keeps track of results. Can't wait to give it a go. I will prolly try by hip-shooting and see how fast I go "Doh".

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Reid? Me, never... but journos elect him? Yep. The bad it is. I recently read about Celek. His comment: "Year in year out we did the same. Nothing new all those years." Goes right into the way i wrote about him. Not going for it even when it cries out to do so, no prep for DEN after a bye-week even tough he´s got 22 assistants, timid style...

My picks: AFC Bill Bilichick. No WRS but still got the offense going lately, defense improved dramatically, and another winning season (12 in a row now?). He is the best, no question...

NFC: Too close to call. "Riverboat Ron" for his new found guts. The pass offense declined (speak Smith), yet he started to win (close) games. Has a lot to do with improved D, but also with going for it which prolongs drives which lead to important TDS which lead to wins.
Or Kelly. My vote for now b/c the O works outstanding, the D got on track, and especially since Easteregg wrote him off after just 4 weeks. This guy is so annoying (& of course wrong most of times) that it would mean a slap into his face for the BS he writes at ESPN. And a slap to sour loser Arians who first arrogantly called Kellys O a "college offense", and after he lost, played the cry game, sending 15 plays to NFL headquarters that the refs called a bad PHI-ARZ game (note: Pens were almost even).

Interesting point on Reid. On "nothing new"... my thought is if it works why change it. During the glory years with McNabb they were so close, just missing by McNabb not being able to get them over the hump completely. Not fair I put all the blame on McNabb, as others played parts in those results too. Anyway, we have now seen how KC fared vs Denver, and will see in weeks coming up if KC can rebound or just disappear. That will have a lot to do with Reid for COY choice.

BB... agree. If not the best, has to be discussed with the best. Weird this off topic comment > I have come to like listening to his post game pressies. He is just so robotic it's laughable at times. Won't get many sound bites from his pressies.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
(1) Q @ all: For what we do the picks? There is no discussions after, and I guess nobody keeps record... :confused:
On another forum I frequent we have a guy who keeps score (a weekly football pick'ems kind of game), we can do that here next year. We'd be playing for points and bragging rights.

I've volunteered to host Survival Football next year, maybe someone can volunteer to host the weekly football pick'ems.

I didn't clarify what Elimination football is. It's pretty easy too. I got it from Pat O'Brien on Fox radio (though he didn't come up with it). It works like this. After each week you pick two teams that will not make it to the Superbowl. Sounds easy, right? Well, it gets tougher as you go. The cool thing about is is that like Survival Football, it's easy to keep track of.

I'll take JAX as well tonight. What the heck.

Wait, I already voted for Houston. Obviously not putting a lot of thought into this.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, it gets tougher as you go. The cool thing about is is that like Survival Football, it's easy to keep track of.

Sounds interesting. I will play...
And weekly picks should improve. Just to pick a winner is "boring" since only 2/3 games per week are 50/50. Every other game we pick the same winners...
We should pick correct scores next year. We did it in germany some years. That´s real fun.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Pick SF and you've picked badly. ;)

Wait and see... :)
BTW I really love that pick since Easteregg last week made me so much annoyed that I almost vomited on his screen picture. One of his colossal blunders: He said SF is last in pass offense. True if looking at total yards. So it seemed it has some merit... And then he said it´s b/c Kaep can´t play a pro offense, that he is exposed after one season. Well this idiot didn´t see that SF was 12th (now 10th) in pass efficiency (Y/PP); that the O Harbaugh runs isn´t designed to get pass wacky, but efficient; that teams who are good run down the clock... By his reasoning (going with total yards) Bob Griese and Paul Warfield must have been some of the worst in the 70s. It´s disgusting that such guys get paid good money for poisoning football fans with wrong "facts", and yet some great writers in this thread have no job in that business (for example you, Alpe, Merckx) ...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
BTW I really love that pick since Easteregg last week made me so much annoyed that I almost vomited on his screen picture. One of his colossal blunders: He said SF is last in pass offense. True if looking at total yards. So it seemed it has some merit... And then he said it´s b/c Kaep can´t play a pro offense, that he is exposed after one season. Well this idiot didn´t see that SF was 12th (now 10th) in pass efficiency (Y/PP); that the O Harbaugh runs isn´t designed to get pass wacky, but efficient; that teams who are good run down the clock... By his reasoning (going with total yards) Bob Griese and Paul Warfield must have been some of the worst in the 70s.

If you really want evidence that total yards doesn’t mean much, consider that until this past week, Houston was no. 1 in the NFL in defense (fewest yards allowed), and just a couple of weeks before, they were 5th in offense. In both of those rankings they were ahead of Seattle! Yet 26th in points allowed (that must be one of the biggest discrepancies of its kind in league history), and 30th in points scored.

It´s disgusting that such guys get paid good money for poisoning football fans with wrong "facts", and yet some great writers in this thread have no job in that business (for example you, Alpe, Merckx) ...

It’s funny. Football is a far more complex game than baseball, but while I feel I have a good understanding of it, in a statistical sense, I’m way behind in baseball. Sabermetrics is really becoming complex, there are guys writing articles in which they show “heat maps” of pitches, with, e.g., the batter’s slugging percentage (or some much further out saber stat) at every point in and outside the strike zone. And analyzing to the nth degree the batter’s body movements when he swings or doesn’t swing.

Not to mention all the different definitions of player value, or WAR. The game has evolved to the point where every move every batter and every fielder makes is taped and analyzed, to determine its relative value. To evaluate a SS, for example, you have to know what he did on balls hit at various distances from him, regardless of whether he touched the ball or not. The simple distinction between hits and errors has long been confined to the dustbin. Likewise, catchers are now being credited for “framing” and “sequencing” pitches, and the whole issue of how much a pitcher is responsible for is being called into question. Plus ballpark factors, and on and on and on. I’m a scientist, and I have trouble following some of this stuff, though of course I don’t spend as much time on it as the saber geeks do.

Ironically, the reason football doesn’t have sabermetrics, yet, is mostly because it’s too complex to do. Every player’s performance is related to everyone else’s, whereas in baseball, so much of it is just one on one, pitcher vs. batter. Ideally, we would like to have a precise measure of, say, a QB’s value that took into account his OL and his WRs, but it’s still too difficult to do. So is Luck, with his bottom quarter QB efficiency rating, really one of the best QBs in the league, or not? It’s pretty subjective.

Speaking of Luck, saw an article ranking the four young Turks—Luck, RGIII, Wilson and Kaep—for long-term potential. Not what they're doing now, but how they will turn out in the long run. Foxxy and Amster won’t agree, and neither will fans in the NW. Had Luck first, Kaep second, Wilson 3d, RG dead last…