• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
@ Alpe...

Before you heave another "expert" (or "insider", 70s pundist, journo/writer, stats nerd, whatever) on a podest, don´t make yourself smaller than you are. :) You & I don´t know less than them..
I should use the A´s Beane as my all-time sig: "We (experts, scouts, etc) know nothing".
I was ROFL when over-paid Mel Kipers draft predictions were looked at in this article.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/slides...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_176105

If you are in the prediction-of-future-business you better have some idea. For what exactly is Kiper paid since 30 years? All I see is embarassment...
A monkey could roll a dice... and come up with the same "good" outcomes. That´s cheaper and results are also 50/50 (like someone did this experiment in the stock-market prediction business)...

Don´t believe the hype. All charlatans...

Bonus-Edit: 10.000-film-hour-expert proclaiming Glennon (front-page on nfl.com) better than RG3 last season is so cute... wow... I mean... hello everybody: Glennon is benched. Yet again :eek: for the journeyman. Amazing, isn´t it? :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Not-so-sure-losers anymore (IOW opponents of the Seahawks)/Survival: I go with the NYG this week... Now that would be something. Really something. Extra excellent: The Giants led by TheSiz™ win at Seatlle and fully expose the fake/fluke/cheat season of the Seahawks of last year. Will root hard for the unimaginable to happen... No, no, I am not that crazy. I´ll never root for a undeserved steroid-necked lotto winner with a HGH chin & braces who just became an NFL starting QB because of her surname.
(picked so far; Indy, KC, TEN, PHI, TB, DAL*, SL*, CAR, OAK)

Elimination; CAR & HOU, as with TEN a couple of weeks ago: You can´t trust teams in panic/testing/give-up-mode changing their starting QB mid-season. Not that I don´t like it. I guess** Mallett is an improvement over a Harvard student, but still & forever only butter-armed QB with a great OL-looking beard. (DEN, OAK, JAX, SL, TB, MIN, ATL, CHI, NO, NYJ, SEA, BUF, TEN, MIA, WAS, ARZ so far)

* = picks lost
** = can´t judge Mallett, never saw him. So i only guess: Either his good pre-season stats were a product of good ol Beli-Cheat (like Cassel was), or he is indeed a good one. We´ll see...
Bonus quote from an nfl.com poster (as just said recently; I was too harsh on them, I mean the fans commenting on either espn or nfl.com) about the idiocy of doing wonderlics as "talent evaluation" at the combine... Not all NFL fans posting on those sites are simpletons who don´t crasp the game:
"If intelligence was a chief indicator of ones ability to play quarterback they would be looking for them at MIT!"
Isn´t that gorgeous? :)
italic = opponents of SEA

Weekly pics: All home teams (inclusive JAX), but Pit & DEN...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Bonus-Edit: 10.000-film-hour-expert proclaiming Glennon (front-page on nfl.com) better than RG3 last season is so cute... wow... I mean... hello everybody: Glennon is benched. Yet again :eek: for the journeyman. Amazing, isn´t it? :)

The more intriguing question is: And why is RG3 a starter? Cause he's good? Yeah right. He was the number 2 Draft pick 2,5 years ago and the Skins won't take the blame for picking the wrong guy. But they did. He is bad at reading defenses, only a mediocre arm, has no pocket awareness whatsoever and since last year can't even use his legs - the only thing that got him in the NFL in the first place. Yes I know, a shaky o-line doesn't help, but still. He does not adjust at all. Not reading blitzes coming will only increase the number of injuries.

He might be better than Glennon, but does that make him a great QB? Or even a decent one? No. And either the Skins accept that they spend a lot of money and picks on the wrong dude, or they will stay out of the playoffs for the next decade.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
You & I don´t know less than them..
I should use the A´s Beane as my all-time sig: "We (experts, scouts, etc) know nothing".
Well, when I was working with Brock, I was definitely impressed with his knowledge, especially of specifics. He knew way, way, way more than I ever will. However, even he didn't make many predictions. And when you'd ask him about an upcoming game, he'd give you things to look for, and say "if they can..." or "look for them to..." Every year his prediction for the Super Bowl was New Orleans vs. San Diego...because those are the two teams he played for. He knew better than to make stupid guesses.

Speaking of stupid.

I was ROFL when over-paid Mel Kipers draft predictions...All I see is embarrassment... A monkey could roll a dice... and come up with the same "good" outcomes. That´s cheaper and results are also 50/50.
:D:):D

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Can´t judge Mallett, never saw him.
I'm expecting Matt Cassell II. What I've seen of Mallett he doesn't move great in the pocket to extend plays, and lacks deep field accuracy. Even Tom Brady, who has an average arm, is still accurate deep. Same with PM somehow.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
International series games for next year announced. They're trying consecutive weeks this time.

Going to my 3rd game of the year on Sunday. Doubt it will be as exciting as the last one. I'll be rooting for the Jags but I don't have much hope.

Thursday already. Time flies I guess.

Damn 49ers are really screwing me over this year. First they lost to Chicago in the 4th quarter, and now this?! They are on this weekends **** list.

Elimination:
Torebear - Oak, Jax, Tenn, KC, Hou, TB, Stl, Wash, NYJ, Min, Cle, Chi, Atl, NYG , new picks: CAR, SF

For Survival Football™.
Torebear - NY Giants, Chicago*, Pitt*, Tenn, Ari, Dal*, NYJ, SD, Stl* New pick: SF

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
CLE @ CIN

Elimination Football:

Alpe -
Foxxy -
Amsterhammer - Washington, Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Sandy Eggo, Oakland, Jax, Tampa Bay, Houston, Atlanta, Minnesoda, Titans, Rams, Miami, NYJ, Bears, Browns, Niners, Panthers

On3m@nmy -
Glenn -
Hitch -
Tricycle -
Merckx -
Oldman -
Leftover Pie
Chewy -
Sciocco -
Pricey Sky -
Tonebear -

For Survival Football, you must pick a team you think will lose this weekend. You cannot select them again for the rest of the season. Here are last week's picks. Please help fill in the blank if you picked and I missed it.

Alpe -
Foxxy -
Glenn -
Amsterhammer - (missed pick) Sandy Eggo, (one strike), Oakland, Tampa Bay, Cowgirls (strike 2) Rams (and that was strike 3) Titans, NYJ, Jax
On3m@nmy -
Hitch -
Tricycle -
Merckx -
Oldman -
Leftover Pie -
Chewy -

I am certainly glad I didn't pick Cleveland in loser bowl, I listened to the game today on audiopass, they dominated from the sound of things.

I wonder how much longer the heat can stay off Dalton, he threw 3 picks today and should have had at least another (according to the commentators) - if they don't make the playoffs and then don't progress beyond the first game, is it time for the bengals to start thinking about a new direction?

Or will he learn to eliminate those rookie mistakes from his game?

A question for the cyclingnews heads, if a QB is still making rookie mistakes beyond his 2nd, 3rd year in the NFL, are they just not up to it?

leftover pie said:
I wonder how much longer the heat can stay off Dalton, he threw 3 picks today...
A question for the cyclingnews heads, if a QB is still making rookie mistakes beyond his 2nd, 3rd year in the NFL, are they just not up to it?
Well, they are stuck in Eli land, as they just signed Dalton to a rather large contract (though not as large as Eli's). It wasn't just Dalton though. He often had poor pass protection, and the Browns completely shut down the run. WR Greg Little, who had been cut by Cleveland and been playing good for Cincy and promised a big game as revenge...caught one pass for 8 yards from Jason Campbell in garbage time. But Dalton did play awful too. His passer rating was, are you ready? 2.0.

Now, let's look at the game:

Home team: Cincy
Team with winning record: Cincy
Favored team: Cincy

Cincy also has a history of playing well at home, recently got their star receiver back (AJ Green), and have a longer established and more experience coach and staff, which is a benefit playing a short week.

Obvious winner: Cincinnati Bengals.

So let's give credit to Cleveland. They are now tied with Pittsburgh for 1st in the toughest division in the NFL (right now). They have had a hard schedule, Brian Hoyer has quietly played quite well, Alex Smith-like if you will. They run the ball well, and don't give up on running, their DL is stout against the run and pass, and they seem well coached, which no one expected after last season. People said they could start about 1-5 and put Manziel in and rebuild. Instead, along with KC and Miami in the AFC, they suddenly look serious at 6-3, and almost beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh. Here is what Cleveland has coming up. You tell me how they finish: Houston, @Atlanta, @Buffalo, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, @Carolina, @Baltimore.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Now that would be something. Really something. Extra excellent: The Giants led by TheSiz™ win at Seatlle and fully expose the fake/fluke/cheat season of the Seahawks of last year...

I understand your hate for the large jawed Neanderthal on HGH, and I'm ok with that. But fake? Fluke? A stats monger like you should know SEA had the#1 defense in the NFL last season, and we all know that "defense wins championships". :cool:;):)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I understand your hate for the large jawed Neanderthal on HGH, and I'm ok with that. But fake? Fluke? A stats monger like you should know SEA had the#1 defense in the NFL last season, and we all know that "defense wins championships". :cool:;):)

Yeah no doubt, the Siz is a joke, like the late Bonds hitting absurd HRs that were Flyballs before players became freaks...
The Seahawks, well I am still upset about the greatest goat aka RS-GOAT... How he is able to destroy great seasons literally, year after year. If the Bucs had shut down PM in that SB (which they certainly would have), they would be my "victim" now... So don´t take it too serious. Just takes decades to overcome this disappointment. ;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, they could wipe it all away (well, most of it) with a stellar SB win this season, where PM ends up the league and SB MVP, after a Brady-like post season.

Depends what you mean? A Brady like post season since he was asked to take all the pressure (circa 2007 onwards), or 2006 & before Brady like (when NE had a good sometimes great pass D)...
I ask, because from 2007 Brady became PM like in the playoffs. It climaxed in the latest BAL loss when he threw 10 yard passes one foot (& more) off target from early on in the game...
Whatever. You and I know that PM will melt again, thus it´s not up for discussion anyway. :)

Alpe d'Huez said:
Foxxy - I'm a bit puzzled by your link to the 1986 World Series. :confused:

I posted it here, b/c nobody reads the MLB thread anyway... especially in the off season. OTOH I am eager to know what went on...
BTW, one of the games that will forever live in all of us. A true classic. :)

KC@BUF - Will be tough battle though.
MIA@DET - Miami hot, but Lions at home, better players.
DAL@JAX - In London, Romo playing for sure.
SF@NO - Game of the week. Losing team is done. SF looks troubled, Saints at home, also struggling.
TEN@BAL - Ravens bounce back after bad loss last week.
PIT@NYJ - Jets free fall continues. Even at home.
ATL@TB - No faith in McCown (or Lovie Smith), but Atl lots of holes.
DEN@OAK - Raiders playing better of late, at home.
STL@ARI - This will actually be close I think.
NYG@SEA - If only Eli had some receivers and an OL, he'd shred...
CHI@GB - Packers one of better NFC teams, and at home.
CAR@PHI - Eagles with Sanchez, Panthers look in trouble.

More comments.

Lots of chatter about Romo playing for Dallas this week. Many people think he should not. But my guess is that he's not really that hurt, and the Cowboys will try to run the ball 30+ times, and stick to a game plan that relies on quick tosses as well.

If I were San Francisco in no way would I fire Jim Harbaugh, unless Harbaugh wants out. This team has problems, and a bigger part of that are players, some with their heads on crooked. Firing Harbaughbecause he's "lost the team" is irrational. People are talking like he's Norv, or Richie Kotite. This week, expect them to run, a lot, against NO, and rely less on Kaep's arm. The Saints will try to come out and bury the 49ers and show they are indeed as good as people (like me) expected. I still see NO finishing about 9-7 though. But that likely could win that division. Sketchy.

I am indeed picking the Raiders, at home, over the Broncos. Maybe I'm hoping. But Denver was just whipped last week by New England, who I am still not 100% sold on. Oakland has been playing better for Sporano, and this game at home will be their Super Bowl.

Josh McCown will not help Tampa, at all. Lovie Smith is the problem with that franchise. I think Glennon isn't much better than average, but the contract Smith gave McCown was absurd, and has created a mess that isn't helping the team.

In 6 games this season (five starts), Glennon has thrown for 1,417y, 10/6. This includes the team's only win, over Pittsburgh. He has a passer rating of 83.3.

In the 3 games before hurting his thumb in that disaster game against Atlanta, and then sitting, McCown is 43/68, 420y, 2/4. His passer rating is 65.8.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
CLE @ CIN – only Ditka got this right.
KC @ BUF – a toss up, I’ll go with KC.
MIA @ DET – could also be close, but Megatron is back.
DAL @ JAX – 'away' banker of the week, you would think…
SF @ NO – Niners in a slump should ensure a Saints win.
TEN @ BAL – Ravens to bounce back at home.
PIT @ NYJ – another away banker, shirley?
ATL @ TB – If the Falcons are ever going to win a game, this is it.
DEN @ OAK – hard to imagine any surprise here either.
STL @ ARI – home banker.
NYG @ SEA – and another one.
CHI @ GB – Packers must be too good at home. Maybe the arctic vortex will arrive in time.
CAR @ PHI – the last home good thing, as much as it pains me.

Green Bay handin out an absolute whoopin.

42-0 at the half.

simpsons-lionel-hutz-scream.jpg

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Isn't it horrible the way Russell Wilson "managed" the game in a downpour? He should have passed more...if there was time in between the rushing TDs. This will only get worse with Seattle defense getting healthier next week and his O line returning. What to do...what to DO?!

I know you're being sarcastic, but that game was a total beat down in the second half. Not like the GB-Chi game, but the second half was. The bigger issue than Seattle not choosing to throw much (which was Carroll's game plan all along) was that Wilson threw 2 picks. I can't help but wondering if they would have dealt Harvin in the off season, and kept Golden Tate...

Speaking of Green Bay. I know Chicago is on the downward slide, but that was an astounding performance by Aaron Rodgers. He was well on his way to breaking the record for TD passes in one game had they not pulled him. He threw six in the first half! Incredible win by the Packers.

Of course, the biggest story in the NFL is that Carson Palmer, two days after signing an extension, very likely tore his ACL. Drew Stanton has played very well behind him, but is that enough to lead the to the promised land?

San Francisco sure came to life. What a tough, gritty win, in New Orleans, a few days after I predicted they would lose, and added them to my Elimination pool. But it really was the Saints that lost that game.

Really nice win for the Jets. Though it was turnovers that did the trick, their defense played solid, and Vick played mistake free (though he did fumble once, it wasn't called).

Hopeful thinking in my part that the Raiders would get their first win. Oh well, there's always next week.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Isn't it horrible the way Russell Wilson "managed" the game in a downpour? He should have passed more...if there was time in between the rushing TDs. This will only get worse with Seattle defense getting healthier next week and his O line returning. What to do...what to DO?!

Who said it would be horrible when Wilson manages a game?

In the 3 games SEA won lately he actually, ... well, ... managed the game?
I mean the following isn´t really setting the world on fire, or?
20 32 199 1 /1
17 35 179 0 /0
10 17 172 0 /2

Just wait for quality opponents (they come once in a while, even though SEA is blessed with a soft schedule so far): When Wilson has to take the pressure, he losses the games again (in sync with his offensive team-mates).

:D :D :D

I don't think Seattle can complain about injuries. Yeah theyve had some injuries but absolutely nothing that every team in the NFL doesn't go through. All of their top top top top players are healthy.

Their number 1 player Earl Thomas has played every game
Their number 2 player Russel Wilson has played every game
Their number 3 player Richard Sherman has played every game
Their number 4 player Marshawn Lynch has played every game
Their number 5 player Kam Chancellor has missed one game.

Is there another team in the league where the top 5 players have missed a combined one game? Not to mention they had no injury problems last year either.

Meanwhile in their division The Rams have had their quarterback out for the whole season and the backup as well.
The Cardinals have their quarterback out of the season having missed half the season anyway, their 2nd best defensive player (probably 2nd best player period) out for the entire season (and its not like Seahawks can act sanctimonious about PED bans) and their 3rd best defensive player (probably 3rd best player period)out for the season on opening day.
The 49ers have arguably their 3 best players - the strengh of the team- the linebackers, all out at the moment, 2 of them havent played a snap since The NFC championship game and 1 might not return at all.

Yeah Wilson has a shoddy o line , but come one, he still landed in the best situation of any qb drafted in recent years. Its a tiny tradeoff for having the all round talent he has around him and none of the main guys are injured at all.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Great post Hitch. There is nothing to add. :)

I guess that´s the first time since Froome hit the scence in late 20011, that I 100% agree with you*.

(* not counting GGTG posts)

I agree with Foxxy when he said the injury thing is mostly a wash. The only time it's really a factor is when the team's best players, or player they by far most rely on, is hurt at the worst time, and the replacement is not very good. Like PM in 2010 and the Colts.

Otherwise, Seattle's as banged up as anyone else, certainly the Giants. I still think the Seahawks will contend for the division though. And into the playoffs. Same with New Orleans, IF they can still win their division. And they may walk into the playoffs at 7-9 and have a home game. Also agree Earl Thomas is Seattle's best player. The guy is all over the field on almost every play.

Some terrific games coming up in the following weeks. Will discuss in another post soon.

TRENDING THREADS