• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 246 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
leftover pie said:
Not all is lost, our season (Australian Rules Football) starts in March...
I need to find what channel to watch this in the US. Whenever I've seen it I've found it highly entertaining.

You like the aerial ping pong ? I have never liked it. I used to love Rugby League and Rugby Union was also pretty good but never took to the AFL or what used to be called Aussie Rules. Rugby League was Footy and Rugby Union was Rugger. Such is the Australian way of shortening words or terms ! But now League is NRL, Australian Rules is AFL and basketball is NBL and Football is the A-League. I still prefer the old terms !

Considering what's asked of them, I think they do a pretty good job. But I'm also one who believes reviews are part of officiating, and that every play should be reviewable from a centralized "booth" location (New York studio).

Teams injury report out and the Patriots and Broncos are both at about full strength, or as close to it as they could get, with even players such as Edelman participating in limited practice.

On the NFC side, the Cardinals had a few players in limited practice, notably CB Justin Bethel, and RB David Johnson. The Panthers may have the worst of it, with Dwan Edwards and Jonathan Stewart not practicing at all. Jared Allen is likely still out with a broken foot, but if the Panthers make the Super Bowl, he could play.

Huge props to the Buffalo Bills for hiring Kathryn Smith, the second female assistant coach in NFL history.

The Rams have announced 45k season ticket sales for next season in LA. What they didn't mention is that while tickets for the LA Colliseum were $300 to $1,750, they're likely to be much more expensive for Kronke's new stadium in a couple years.

Finally, accepting their place in the Dark Side, some Patriots fans have created a TV shirt with Belicheck as an Evil Emperor. Get yours at the link below:

http://breakingt.com/products/emperor-belichick

17a39e41-2df8-4056-bfd3-dd789409f2c3_crop_north.jpg

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Charlotte is about to get a massive ice storm. I'm assuming the Cardinals are flying in today, before the storm starts tonight. Not sure what state the field will be in, but I guess they have a large grounds crew to handle such things. The stadium/downtown area may be one of the few places that actually have power as of Sunday.

Since you mentioned the weather, here's a peek, courtesy of Accuweather:

Denver: Rain and snow mix, with breeze. Temperature about 40 at kickoff.

Charlotte: Sunny and clear during the day, chilly at night, about 35 at kickoff, but clear.

Attachments

• Sunday weather.jpg
    Sunday weather.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 458
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Since you mentioned the weather, here's a peek, courtesy of Accuweather:

Denver: Rain and snow mix, with breeze. Temperature about 40 at kickoff.

Charlotte: Sunny and clear during the day, chilly at night, about 35 at kickoff, but clear.

so what's that in my money?

6C and 1C . . PWHOAR!

that's pretty cold.

Ed McCaffrey made a point about Denver that was in my head last Sunday: if the receivers would have caught a few of the 'gimmies' that they dropped, they would have had 75-150 more yards (depending on how much they got after the catch), and maybe 7-14 more points for Denver. That is significant. Can they eliminate those drops this week? They have to if they want to get to SB50.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a football fan but I will miss their games. Why? Because whenever the Broncos are playing, the local roads are empty which makes them ideal for great bike riding.

Considering that Seattle found a younger version of him in Rawls, they'd love I'm sure to send him off into the sunset with a hero's welcome. Though Rawls isn't the pass blocker Lynch is/was, he's still young.

Despite the talk of a mix of rain and snow in Denver, I don't think the weather will be much of a factor, including to Manning. And by Sunday the weather in Charlotte will be almost perfect for football, a cool 40 degrees or so and no wind. I'm still sticking with the Patriots. I think Denver's defense is going to give Brady some problems, and a late turnover could change the game (ask Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati too) but the Pats OL is as healthy it's been since they lost Nate Solder early in the season, and there have just too many options for Brady to throw to for Denver to stop them all. I also think the Pats defense is underrated, especially considering they are at or near full strength as well. However, Manning did look decent last week, and can still see the field great and could make some big throws. But the biggest reason why I'm picking New England is Belicheck. I never thought that much of Gary Kubaik or Wade Phillips as a coach, and that defense stacked with expensive free agents is a big reason they're doing so well. These guys are just no where near Belicheck's pedigree, or wisdom.

The NFC game seems harder for me to analyze. We've seen the Panthers look insanely good at times, and vulnerable at others. I didn't like the way they were really on their heels against Seattle in the second half of the game last week, and I don't expect Arizona to make the early mistakes Seattle did, and they have serious offensive firepower that Seattle doesn't. However, Palmer is not very mobile, and if they can't get good protection, he'll struggle all day. I also tend to think the Cardinals defense will come ready to play and expect the Panthers to try to get off to a fast start. But overall, I'm not sure Arizona has a solution to stop Cam Newton. I think they can keep their team in the game, but I can see Cam keeping a lot of drives alive with his legs and his size. Palmer and Newton were also opposites last week. Palmer was shaky much of the game, but did make some excellent throws and prevailed late when it counted most. Newton started out on fire, but struggled in the second half after Seattle adjusted.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Amsterhammer said:
They're tractoring snow off the field in Charlotte now, but expect to be good to go by game time.

Rivera had them out practicing in the snow this morning. Storm wasn't as bad as was forecast, more sleet came in and less freezing rain and snow overall. Not nearly so many power outages. Sunday will be sunny and 40.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Considering that Seattle found a younger version of him in Rawls, they'd love I'm sure to send him off into the sunset with a hero's welcome. Though Rawls isn't the pass blocker Lynch is/was, he's still young.

Despite the talk of a mix of rain and snow in Denver, I don't think the weather will be much of a factor, including to Manning. And by Sunday the weather in Charlotte will be almost perfect for football, a cool 40 degrees or so and no wind. I'm still sticking with the Patriots. I think Denver's defense is going to give Brady some problems, and a late turnover could change the game (ask Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati too) but the Pats OL is as healthy it's been since they lost Nate Solder early in the season, and there have just too many options for Brady to throw to for Denver to stop them all. I also think the Pats defense is underrated, especially considering they are at or near full strength as well. However, Manning did look decent last week, and can still see the field great and could make some big throws. But the biggest reason why I'm picking New England is Belicheck. I never thought that much of Gary Kubaik or Wade Phillips as a coach, and that defense stacked with expensive free agents is a big reason they're doing so well. These guys are just no where near Belicheck's pedigree, or wisdom.

The NFC game seems harder for me to analyze. We've seen the Panthers look insanely good at times, and vulnerable at others. I didn't like the way they were really on their heels against Seattle in the second half of the game last week, and I don't expect Arizona to make the early mistakes Seattle did, and they have serious offensive firepower that Seattle doesn't. However, Palmer is not very mobile, and if they can't get good protection, he'll struggle all day. I also tend to think the Cardinals defense will come ready to play and expect the Panthers to try to get off to a fast start. But overall, I'm not sure Arizona has a solution to stop Cam Newton. I think they can keep their team in the game, but I can see Cam keeping a lot of drives alive with his legs and his size. Palmer and Newton were also opposites last week. Palmer was shaky much of the game, but did make some excellent throws and prevailed late when it counted most. Newton started out on fire, but struggled in the second half after Seattle adjusted.

Seattle will be fine, provided all the contracts are cleared and they know what will happen with Lynch. Rawls is a great find, no doubt, and I am interested to see what happens with Graham. Some fans are saying he should be traded, which to me is ridiculous. He literally played like a third of the season, only in his first year as a Hawk. If Rawls and Graham are used the right way, and they beef up their OL, you know that Wilson will flourish under Carroll and if the core of the defense is kept, the Seahawks will be a force for the next 4 or 5 years, IMO. Depending on how things go, they have the potential to be the 'new Patriots.' The Panthers are the new kids on the block, and Newton obviously has settled. They'll be good for a while as well, as will the Vikings, probably the Packers, and the other usual suspects. The Cards don't have many more chances, should they come out empty at the end of the postseason. Palmer is 36 and Fitzgerald is gonna be 33 in the not too distant future. They have a potent offense and a decent defense, but they don't have the upside as some of the other teams. They are built to succeed now.

The AFC, to me, has similar makeups, although I sense that Patriots and Broncos, with their aging QB's are in a similar predicament as the Cardinals. Younger teams are also coming up, Jets, Chiefs, Bills, Raiders (yes, the Bills and Raiders should be playoff contenders soon), Bengals, Steelers, etc. Manning is literally on his last energy reserves and Brady, although having more left in the tank, won't be winning forever.

Seeing that my pick, Seattle, is out, I have to go with the Cards to win the NFC and the Broncos to win the AFC. Palmer's time is now, and he knows it. Like you said, the Cards won't be so generous with the turnovers and general poor play like the Seahawks were and I think the Panthers will be playing catch up the whole game. The Broncos D will play tough and Manning will throw for a couple TD's and there might be a number of FG's.

SB: Cards over Broncos. A 39 year old vs a 36 year old, potentially, for the SB. Oldest matchup in SB history looming??

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

I think the Cardinals game is the more intriguing one. Panthers deserve to be favorites but I am sticking with the Cardinals. I have liked the look of them for most of the season. Panthers did well to shut down Wilson last week at least in the first half but did not keep it going. Wilson had a good second half and he is much more mobile than Palmer. Seattle's running game was not that good against the Panthers and I don't expect the Cardinals to be any better so Palmer has to buy some time but I am not sure whether he will get it. Expect Fitzgerald to play a big role for the Cardinals. Even when he is having a quiet game he usually figures in a big play or two.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Down to the last two games, and sadly I am not invested. I neither like nor dislike any of the remaining teams to any great degree. My heart says go with the old man, my head says he hasn't had his choke game yet, so he's due. Therefore I will pick the Pats, but will not be disappointed if it goes the other way.

This is Cam Newton's season, at least that's what my bones are telling me. Panthers (with a thought going out to Chewey) over the Cards, and then to go all the way and take the SB too.

NE @ DEN
ARI @ CAR

Re:

Amsterhammer said:
sadly I am not invested.

If the NFC championship game were in Washington tomorrow, would anyone--including the teams--even be able to make it? The Pats are probably better off having to play on the road. Imagine if the weather had been like this two years ago when the SB was held in NJ.

The road team won all four games the first weekend; the home team won all four games of the divisional series. This week I’m going with a split, NE and CAR.

Against the Steelers, Manning faced one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL, and still did not perform better than at game manager level. He didn’t throw any interceptions (and the Steelers were actually pretty good in that department), and if you factor in dropped passes, he might have had a pretty good completion rate. But most of his completions were short passes, and he couldn’t get the team into the end zone until late in the game. I’ll be quite surprised if his numbers are as good vs. NE, and the Pats will almost certainly score more than the Steelers did.

Fun fact: While Brady is 11-5 vs. Manning, and has played in 6 SB and won 4 to Manning’s 3/1, they are dead even in all those categories since 2004. And this will be the 13th time in the past 15 years that the SB has featured either Brady, Manning or Roethlisberger.

I think AZ at its best is a little better than CAR at its best, but the Panthers have been the most consistent team in the NFL this year. They’ve had some bad quarters (vs. NYG) and bad halves (vs. SE), but haven’t played poorly for an entire game (their loss to Atlanta was close, and to a fringe playoff contender that probably had the talent to be better).

Fun fact: If CAR wins the SB, Newton could be just the second player in history to win the Heisman Trophy, NCAA championship, NFL MVP and SB (assuming he’s MVP, which seems likely). The only player to accomplish all of that so far? Marcus Allen of USC and the Raiders. He was also MVP of a SB. But unlike Newton, he was not a no. 1 draft pick.

Re: Re:

Merckx index said:
If the NFC championship game were in Washington tomorrow, would anyone--including the teams--even be able to make it? The Pats are probably better off having to play on the road. Imagine if the weather had been like this two years ago when the SB was held in NJ.
I can't speak for NJ, though I have friends and co-workers there. But in CT where we got hit with a foot of it overnight, the roads are now plowed and pretty much clear. While some people did lose power, it wasn't a huge amount. Life is pretty much back to normal.

I'm not trying to say it's not a big deal, but the media overhypes storms like this every time. People in the Northeast are used to dealing with a lot of snow, and very efficient with moving it around and getting people access to where they need to go.

Sticking with my same picks. NE and Carolina. I think Merckx stated the reasons for it as good, or better than I could.

I've said for some time now I think the best teams are in the NFC, but I do think a healthy Patriots can perhaps beat anyone. If they stay healthy.

I must say though I'm the opposite of Amster in that I'd be okay if any of those four teams winning. AZ and Carolina have never won, which would be neat. And if the Broncos win it would be neat to see Manning get the final monkey off his back and go out a hero. And, maybe the most twisted thought, if the Patriots win we get to see Rodger Goddell hand the Lombardi trophy to Tom Brady. :)

TRENDING THREADS