• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 269 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
That's terrible for Bridgewater. And team. Now Sanchez or Kaepernick might have a landing spot. Kind of a positive curiosity for Viks, their fans, including those on the other side of the Big Pond, is German Moritz Bohringer has made the 75 man roster as WR.

Romo is out again as well. More talk about Kaep getting cut from the 49ers since the whole anthem sitting saga and his poor hit out against the Packers. 49ers have lost Ellington for the season.
RE: Kaep - me thinks he will be a cap casualty. 9ers made big mistake signing him to that huge deal few years ago.

The preseason isn't even finished yet and already a good number of notable players have suffered injuries. Obviously injuries can be picked up at practice as well, but this might be one of those years where whoever stays the most healthy and doesn't have their roster in shambles wins the SB.

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
That's terrible for Bridgewater. And team. Now Sanchez or Kaepernick might have a landing spot. Kind of a positive curiosity for Viks, their fans, including those on the other side of the Big Pond, is German Moritz Bohringer has made the 75 man roster as WR.

Romo is out again as well. More talk about Kaep getting cut from the 49ers since the whole anthem sitting saga and his poor hit out against the Packers. 49ers have lost Ellington for the season.
RE: Kaep - me thinks he will be a cap casualty. 9ers made big mistake signing him to that huge deal few years ago.

that is one of the best deals in the nfl for the 49ers. And they have so much cap they don't need to cut him anyway

Billie said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

that is one of the best deals in the nfl for the 49ers. And they have so much cap they don't need to cut him anyway

That's true but only if they are getting something out of him as a player and they didn't last year and this year he seems to be the same but he has been out injured. He is starting against the Chargers and has to show something. Most people expect Gabbert will start the first match of the real season against the Rams and he has been rested this week. Denver were interested in him but were not going to match his salary. If they did he would have been gone I am sure. It was the right call by Elway as Kaep's performances apart from the first game last season have been poor.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Tank Engine said:
jmdirt said:
Yah, in today's NFL #4 is high for a RB, but if they can establish a good running game that might give TR one or two more solid years. Elliott was by far the best back (straight ahead, cuts, outside, catch, block...) so they needed to get him, and didn't want to take a chance on him going before they got to their second pick. I'll let you know if it was a good move...in February! :D

I'd say that the Cowboys had a bigger need to pick a great CB, but we'll see.

Dallas have had their QB injury problems in recent seasons, but getting down to their 3rd string with still one pre-season game to play is taking it too far :eek:. Dak Prescott seems to have good numbers from College, but this is the major league now.
Happy to see them cow patty turd knockers get a bit of fun.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Gives him more time to SIT in the living room.

Billie said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

True they have gobs of cap room - around $50M in 2016. But best deals? :lol: Or do I detect a bit of sarcasm there? Nobody wants to pay his nearly $20/year to have him be a bench warmer. And as some are saying in SF, "time for 9ers to beat Colin cancer" (http://www.sfexaminer.com/time-niners-save-face-beat-colin-cancer/) - an article about Kap being:
the ultimate me guy in the ultimate we sport

on3m@n@rmy said:
Billie said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

True they have gobs of cap room - around $50M in 2016. But best deals? :lol: Or do I detect a bit of sarcasm there? Nobody wants to pay his nearly $20/year to have him be a bench warmer. And as some are saying in SF, "time for 9ers to beat Colin cancer" (http://www.sfexaminer.com/time-niners-save-face-beat-colin-cancer/) - an article about Kap being:
the ultimate me guy in the ultimate we sport

The reality is if he does not get back to resembling something like his old form he will have to take a pay cut to stay in the NFL if he leaves the 49ers. If you don't perform for two years or so your market value drops. I think Elway wanted to take him as a experienced back up which is all he good for at the moment but Kaep and his managers did not like the deal being offered. Both Gabbert and Kaep might be gone by the end of the season if they can't improve. No one seems to think Gabbert is a top liner even though he has showed improvement in a mediocre team of late while many seem to think Kaep is getting worse not better and just want him gone. Personally I think Kaep will go and Gabbert will stay until someone better comes along. Driskel is a rookie and Ponder is not a bad back up and might even get a shot if Gabbert has problems. The 49ers would probably cut Ponder if Kaep was playing well as they are carrying four QBs and another on IR who will probably get cut eventually. But I think they will keep all four at this stage and Ponder might survive.

Re:

The reality is if he does not get back to resembling something like his old form he will have to take a pay cut to stay in the NFL if he leaves the 49ers. If you don't perform for two years or so your market value drops. I think Elway wanted to take him as a experienced back up which is all he good for at the moment but Kaep and his managers did not like the deal being offered. Both Gabbert and Kaep might be gone by the end of the season if they can't improve. No one seems to think Gabbert is a top liner even though he has showed improvement in a mediocre team of late while many seem to think Kaep is getting worse not better and just want him gone. Personally I think Kaep will go and Gabbert will stay until someone better comes along. Driskel is a rookie and Ponder is not a bad back up and might even get a shot if Gabbert has problems. The 49ers would probably cut Ponder if Kaep was playing well as they are carrying four QBs and another on IR who will probably get cut eventually. But I think they will keep all four at this stage and Ponder might survive.
Agree. I'd just add that at the moment no team will want to take on Kap not just because his performance has been poor, but now he is also seen as a poor leader. Improved performance can change all of that though in this QB starved league.

movingtarget said:
What I do not get about this is, the NFL suspended the players. Now the NFL clears the players on the basis that
The N.F.L. said it had found “no credible evidence” that James Harrison of the Steelers and Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers of the Packers “were provided with or used substances prohibited”
SO why didn't the league do their homework first before making a knee jerk reaction to suspend. That's nuts and kind of disappointing.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Agree. I'd just add that at the moment no team will want to take on Kap not just because his performance has been poor, but now he is also seen as a poor leader. Improved performance can change all of that though in this QB starved league.

movingtarget said:
What I do not get about this is, the NFL suspended the players. Now the NFL clears the players on the basis that
The N.F.L. said it had found “no credible evidence” that James Harrison of the Steelers and Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers of the Packers “were provided with or used substances prohibited”
SO why didn't the league do their homework first before making a knee jerk reaction to suspend. That's nuts and kind of disappointing.

This is just weird. I smell a deal being made. The guy points the finger at them, watches them get implicated and have to answer to the NFL and retracts his story. I think there might have been some money changing hands or the guy was just a nut and had some sort of grudge going, who knows ? A loss pf earnings for these guys would have amounted to much more than they might have paid him to keep quiet. Very odd.

I guess maybe I was a bit wrong on the suspensions. I believe the correct description of the knee jerking was over the league's wanting to talk to the players about the ordeal, to which they refused. Still either way, it was a knee jerk by the league. And odd as you say.

After watching yesterday's preseason games, IMO the league needs to cut the number of preseason games down to either two or three. I think an NFL radio broadcast yesterday talked about teams doing some interesting things to help them evaluate players that they are trying to figure out. For example, making an offensive or defensive play call that is different to what the situation would normally call for, thus putting the player they want to evaluate in a tough situation so they can see how the player will react. That might be one reason to keep 4 preseason games, but they could do that in team practices as well, which is common anyway.

Cuts to 53 (due by Saturday) starting to roll in
- titans former 1st rounder Bishop Sankey is no big surprise
- Viks center Sullivan (good C but injured)
- Bills LB Lawson and CB Sterling Moore
Others as well but those other than Sankey were kind of surprising.

Then talk swirling that rams 1st round pick and QB Goff will be their day 1...... 3rd string QB. Behind Keenum and Mannion. HC Fisher saying patience is needed. He better hope the owner will grant him that if Goff can't improve.

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:

Then talk swirling that rams 1st round pick and QB Goff will be their day 1...... 3rd string QB. Behind Keenum and Mannion. HC Fisher saying patience is needed. He better hope the owner will grant him that if Goff can't improve.

The fans that saw Paxton Lynch as a better fit for the NFL than Goff will be crowing. I have not seen Goff yet but from what I saw of Lynch he looked pretty good but many have looked good in the preseason and failed to follow on in the real games. 49ers v Rams in week 1 should be interesting as far as Kaep goes. But then the Goff supporters think he was far and away the best QB from the latest draft. Time will tell. Kaep played a bit better yesterday against second stringers but not enough to think he has turned the corner.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...gs-latest-trade-details-comments-and-reaction
BRADFORD TRADED TO VIKS for 2017 1st round pick and 2018 4th rounder. This seems great for Sam and the Eagles, but only time will tell if it will be good for the Viks. No way in help I give 2 picks let alone a first rounder for Bradford, so at first glance this seems like a bad deal for the Viks. But the Viks players were so distraught over Bridgewater going down with the complete ACL tear that this should really pick them up. I wonder if Kaepernick was ever in the Viks thoughts, but I seriously doubt it.

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

The fans that saw Paxton Lynch as a better fit for the NFL than Goff will be crowing. I have not seen Goff yet but from what I saw of Lynch he looked pretty good but many have looked good in the preseason and failed to follow on in the real games. 49ers v Rams in week 1 should be interesting as far as Kaep goes. But then the Goff supporters think he was far and away the best QB from the latest draft. Time will tell. Kaep played a bit better yesterday against second stringers but not enough to think he has turned the corner.
I watched Goff for several offensive series in their final preseason game last night and he looked terrible. Looked under duress for no reason while trying to get the ball out of his hands too quickly on timing patterns while really missing his target. Like the WR makes his break on an out route and as he's turning the ball is already past him overhead out too far out in front. Like "how'm I 'sposed to catch that?" In a word, he look scared.

Not only that, he has played poorly his entire preseason, as noted in this Bleacher Report.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/9...-is-a-flat-circle-sam-bradford-and-jared-goff... overlook the 'Sam' content in article since we are talking Lynch here too.
I mentioned a couple weeks ago Goff was struggling learning the playbook, so this is not too surprising. Though I was a bit surprised he is the Rams #3 QB now. On teams that only carry 2 QBs on the 53-man, that would only get him on the practice squad, which the Rams cannot do because some team might snatch him off the practice squad to their 53- man, thus the Rams would lose the #1 overall pick. But yeah, there is going to be some crowing and "told ya so's" going on, especially in the Broncos camp.

The next big Rams move if they have a losing season is HC Jeff Fisher loses his job. NDO - No doubt (about it).

Update on Viks deal for Bradford, Viks contacted KC about Foles and considered Ravens backup.

Also, Viks cut mamoth German WR Moritz Bohringer. Totally not surprising as his highlight tape from games in Europe were almost entirely screens and bubble screens. The guy does not know route trees and combos. He will not make a 53 man roster anywhere except maybe on special teams.

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Update on Viks deal for Bradford, Viks contacted KC about Foles and considered Ravens backup.

Also, Viks cut mamoth German WR Moritz Bohringer. Totally not surprising as his highlight tape from games in Europe were almost entirely screens and bubble screens. The guy does not know route trees and combos. He will not make a 53 man roster anywhere except maybe on special teams.

Hayne had more success than he did while he was at the 49ers but having to learn a new playbook and with a new coach and new blood to compete against, it ended up being enough to drive him back to Rugby League. The irony is he would have been the kick returner for sure with Ellington gone for the season at the 49ers and he was improving at taking snaps up the middle. But like he said if he had got into the NRL a few years earlier it would have been a massive advantage. His few fumbles went against him but as a kick returner he was the 49ers best. Tomsula misused him which did not help. it's so hard to cross codes and be successful in the NRL without college experience.

Billie said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Foles made a big mistake signing so early with KC. SHould have just waited untill the inevitable QB1 injury and gone to that team to start.
Good observation. That thought never entered my ***. But for whatever reason, Foles (after being let go by Rams) indicated Andy Reid was the only coach he wanted to play for this 2016 season, even if just in a backup role.
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_d7d7b0fc-5b50-11e6-af39-f7c489fdc46e.html.
Foles may have thought "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". The 'bush' being that inevitable QB1 position you mentioned. And the one in the hand being Reid's QB2 spot. From their time together in Philly, Reid and Foles had mutual respect for each other, and it is clear Foles feels comfortable with Reid and his system. Reid says (in article) that Foles adds experience and familiarity with his system, and so is happy to have Foles back.

Then if Nick went anywhere else other than KC he'd be going from one pressure cooker to another as a QB1. But for how long? In KC he is going to have some time to regain confidence, and get as ready as possible for the day Smith retires.

All things considered, I understand Nick's decision to reunite in KC with Reid. And it is clear the lure of bigger money is not as important to him as other things. I kind of like that. It's refreshing.

Wow. What Miller did is insane. 9ers did right by cutting him.

Troy Aikman disses Skip Bayless after FOX hires Skip. Troy used to do the same to his own Dallas teammates when he was playing for them, so why expect anything different from the tool now?

Ram 1st overall draft pick Jared Goff will not even suit up for the first regular season game, since he has earned the #3 QB spot on the team. Wow. Meanwhile in Philly, 1st round pick Wentz earns the QB1 spot and will likely start.