National Football League

Page 270 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
on3m@n@rmy said:
Wow. What Miller did is insane. 9ers did right by cutting him.

Troy Aikman disses Skip Bayless after FOX hires Skip. Troy used to do the same to his own Dallas teammates when he was playing for them, so why expect anything different from the tool now?

Ram 1st overall draft pick Jared Goff will not even suit up for the first regular season game, since he has earned the #3 QB spot on the team. Wow. Meanwhile in Philly, 1st round pick Wentz earns the QB1 spot and will likely start.
Interesting. Some pundits thought that Wentz and Paxton Lynch had more chance of making it in the NFL than Goff. Others thought that Goff was far and away the best QB to figure in this year's draft. I guess time will tell. The 49ers cut their rookie QB Jeff Driskel and he has been picked up by the Bengals.
 
Re:

movingtarget said:
Interesting read, starting with this image:


I agree with this quote from the article:
“The whole reason you have a commissioner in any sport, the most fundamental reason for that office, is to protect the integrity of the game,” said Jeff Pash, the N.F.L.’s top lawyer. The job of the commissioner, he added, is to make sure that fans “are rooting and supporting financially and emotionally for a game that is clean, that is honest, cares about fans and cares about the people who play the game.”
Well, there's no question Roger is passionate and doing his all to protect the game's integrity, some of which has already been discussed in this forum, particularly dealing with examples where he has used his authority and crossed the line. And because of that, the players/union has reason to be unhappy that Roger is the judge, jury, and executioner (a power the players gave him in the last CBA), particularly over recent suspensions or attempts/threats to suspend.

But the statement from the quoted paragraph of the article and example from the first regular season game on Thursday night (yesterday) between CAR and DEN is that statement "for a game that is clean". We got to see one of the rules relating to that enforced last night when a Carolina lineman was flagged for taunting in the end zone after the Panthers first TD. The Official's explanation to the fans over the PA was that the player has received a first warning, and if that player was involved in another taunting act he would be ejected from the game.



Besides jumping like a pogo stick, I'm sure the Carolina player said a few things as well. The article from SBNation (link: http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/8/12856774/panthers-ol-penalty-unsportsmanlike-conduct-ejection-nfl-policy) reporting on that incident called the penalty:
... kinda weak
I could not disagree more with the SBNation reporter. Taunts like that are the kind of crap you might expect to see from little boys who are just learning some things. These are grown men. Professionals. So act like one by celebrating with your teammates instead of acting like a classless jerk.
 
Anyone make it through last night's game? Some stellar play, mixed with some early season sloppiness, mostly in the penalties. Both teams got lucky in the last few minutes with some of the penalties called. First the Panthers on that iffy Illegal Contact away from the ball, then the Broncos on the blow to Cam's head. Though I do think the refs got it right. While Simiean played well, Newton was erratic, but after the game and today the Panthers are in essence saying the Broncoes played dirty, often going for his head. Can says no, but you tel me? The Broncos brought up a good point saying half of his getting pounded was from refusing to slide on runs. Steve Mariucci said maybe the biggest comment, no QB can last a season playing like the way Cam did, no matter how big he is. Both teams played well, but neither gave me the impression they'll be making it to the SB again.

As to Goff and Wentz, I didn't see any of Wentz, but a little of Goff. I think the issue with Goff is that he was clearly outplayed by Case Keenum in the preseason, who seems to have really risen to the challenge after Goff was drafted and looked both solid, and like the team leader in the preseason.

I didn't give any seasonal NFL predictions this year. I'll try to before Sunday, even though we're one game into the season already.
 
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Anyone make it through last night's game? Some stellar play, mixed with some early season sloppiness, mostly in the penalties. Both teams got lucky in the last few minutes with some of the penalties called. First the Panthers on that iffy Illegal Contact away from the ball, then the Broncos on the blow to Cam's head. Though I do think the refs got it right. While Simiean played well, Newton was erratic, but after the game and today the Panthers are in essence saying the Broncoes played dirty, often going for his head. Can says no, but you tel me? The Broncos brought up a good point saying half of his getting pounded was from refusing to slide on runs. Steve Mariucci said maybe the biggest comment, no QB can last a season playing like the way Cam did, no matter how big he is. Both teams played well, but neither gave me the impression they'll be making it to the SB again.

As to Goff and Wentz, I didn't see any of Wentz, but a little of Goff. I think the issue with Goff is that he was clearly outplayed by Case Keenum in the preseason, who seems to have really risen to the challenge after Goff was drafted and looked both solid, and like the team leader in the preseason.

I didn't give any seasonal NFL predictions this year. I'll try to before Sunday, even though we're one game into the season already.
Did not see the game but I heard that the Denver QB played well and Newton took a pounding. One penalty situation that I hate is the unsportsmanlike conduct one. In team sports a bit of niggle or a bit of a comment after a play is normal even in a sedate game like cricket ! When someone goes over the top and gets in the face of a player then maybe it's fair enough. Another one is unnecessary rough play, some of the penalties given for that have been ridiculous, a player gets thrown to the ground in a contact sport and it's unnecessary ? Bad throws by QBs sometimes lead to big hits and if a player has time to be lined up and it could cause a loss of the ball and the player's head is not attacked, I see nothing wrong with it. Blame the QB for leaving the receiver exposed but don't go over the top with penalties on big hits.
 
I thought the unsportsman like penalty was a little harsh, I've seen worse that haven't been called, but perhaps it's the early season example that other players will take note of.

Instead of bringing in a rule like that and it is ignored for a lot of the season and then gets pulled out in the playoffs at a crucial time.
 
I'm going to not make many predictions this year, but one thing has struck me I wanted to comment on. Despite more parity in recent years, my assumption this season is that only a handful of teams are likely to go to the Super Bowl. Seattle, Arizona, Green Bay, Carolina, New England, and Pittsburgh. Maybe Cincinatti, Indy, Houston, with some ball bounces. Injuries are also a bigger factor than ever, and can change things dramatically.
 
That was definitely one of the more exciting opening weeks in the NFL in a while. Certainly in the past few seasons. The majority of the games went down to the wire, double digit deficits erased, blocked FG attempts, the 98 yard play for the Saints, Seahawks scoring with 30 seconds to go, Patriots get it done against the Cardinals with a backup QB, Lions (!!!!) winning their opener in a tight one, Giants and Cowboys in a see-saw division battle...

If this is how the rest of the season is going to play out, we are in for a treat!
 
Oh, and perhaps the most exciting game was the Raiders Saints, which included the gutsy 2 point play to win the game instead of settling for the extra point which would have sent it to overtime.

I guess we know what the Raiders' intentions are for this season. Of course, you need a bit of good fortune on 2 point conversions, particularly at the end of the game, and on the road, no less.
 
BullsFan22 said:
That was definitely one of the more exciting opening weeks in the NFL in a while. Certainly in the past few seasons. The majority of the games went down to the wire, double digit deficits erased, blocked FG attempts, the 98 yard play for the Saints, Seahawks scoring with 30 seconds to go, Patriots get it done against the Cardinals with a backup QB, Lions (!!!!) winning their opener in a tight one, Giants and Cowboys in a see-saw division battle...

If this is how the rest of the season is going to play out, we are in for a treat!
Right on.

Some guys just have brittle bodies, no luck, or both. RG3 may done for the season per this tweet:
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet - It will be very tough for RGIII to make it back on the #Browns roster this year. Evaluation after 3-4 weeks, then he may need surgery.
Edit: after posting that found out RGIII has been put on IR. Might be available week 10
 
Hate to say, but I'll make one prediction. First, SF is not as bad as many may think (ahem giving the Rams some slack), but if Rams (&Goff) can't get better by December, Rams HC Jeff Fisher will be fired before season's end. It is really looking like Rams need a change other than change to a new city.
 
Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Hate to say, but I'll make one prediction. First, SF is not as bad as many may think (ahem giving the Rams some slack), but if Rams (&Goff) can't get better by December, Rams HC Jeff Fisher will be fired before season's end. It is really looking like Rams need a change other than change to a new city.
Would have been a bonus for the 49ers if the Seahawks had also lost. I felt confident they could beat the Rams but the scoreline surprised me. Most pundits think they will finish last in the conference but I think it could be a long year for the Rams and Fisher.
 
Here's the play where RG3 got hurt. Once again unnecessarily running into a player trying to get an extra few inches. Amazing how this had been discussed many times, even by him, and yet, he couldn't change. The sad thing for Browns fans is that they actually had a chance to draft Carson Wentz. Granted, it's only been one game, and Wentz played against the Browns defense, but he certainly looked like all the things you'd want in a QB and more.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/09/11/rg3-runs-into-big-hit-is-there-any-chance-he-can-ever-stay-healthy/

I agree this was a great week 1. Great games. I wouldn't sing too high of praises for the 49ers or write off the Rams just yet, but that was a thumping.
 
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Here's the play where RG3 got hurt. Once again unnecessarily running into a player trying to get an extra few inches. Amazing how this had been discussed many times, even by him, and yet, he couldn't change. The sad thing for Browns fans is that they actually had a chance to draft Carson Wentz. Granted, it's only been one game, and Wentz played against the Browns defense, but he certainly looked like all the things you'd want in a QB and more.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/09/11/rg3-runs-into-big-hit-is-there-any-chance-he-can-ever-stay-healthy/

I agree this was a great week 1. Great games. I wouldn't sing too high of praises for the 49ers or write off the Rams just yet, but that was a thumping.
Yes early days but the Panthers 49ers next week could be an interesting one. Pointless injury by RG3. He was going cross field and should have just made a slide before he hit the defender as he was going over the sideline anyway. Now Wentz gets his chance I suppose. The Goff situation could become ugly for Fisher even though it's not uncommon for rookie QBs to not start in their first season but Goff was the number one draft pick and the people that questioedn the Rams decision will start getting mouthy later in the season if the Rams have a bad year and Goff is not seen but he can't be much worse than their current QB.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Hate to say, but I'll make one prediction. First, SF is not as bad as many may think (ahem giving the Rams some slack), but if Rams (&Goff) can't get better by December, Rams HC Jeff Fisher will be fired before season's end. It is really looking like Rams need a change other than change to a new city.
Would have been a bonus for the 49ers if the Seahawks had also lost. I felt confident they could beat the Rams but the scoreline surprised me. Most pundits think they will finish last in the conference but I think it could be a long year for the Rams and Fisher.
Niners' defense was impressive at times. Offense not as much–I think the score was as much a result of them just having the ball so much, as a result of the ineptitude of the Rams' offense.

But there was a block on the first touchdown, a trap where the TE Celek (88) came through and just blew up the linebacker. It was a thing of beauty. Absolutely pancaked the guy.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000701682/Carlos-Hyde-runs-up-the-middle-for-11-yard-TD
 
*** week. Every result went against me. Ok though cos ultimately last season the playoffs all happened as I wished so I owed the world some karma.

Result that sticks out is Patriots. My god, that was probably the smallest chances they had to win a game this century. I doubt there's been a game since the first superbowl, that they have gone into with worse odds. Away to the annointed best team in the league, Without Brady and Gronk (2 of the 5 best players in the league) with injuries on the o line.

And they still won.

I think the theory that Bellichick is the more dominant factor in their success, needs to be taken really seriously now.
 
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Hate to say, but I'll make one prediction. First, SF is not as bad as many may think (ahem giving the Rams some slack), but if Rams (&Goff) can't get better by December, Rams HC Jeff Fisher will be fired before season's end. It is really looking like Rams need a change other than change to a new city.
Would have been a bonus for the 49ers if the Seahawks had also lost. I felt confident they could beat the Rams but the scoreline surprised me. Most pundits think they will finish last in the conference but I think it could be a long year for the Rams and Fisher.
Niners' defense was impressive at times. Offense not as much–I think the score was as much a result of them just having the ball so much, as a result of the ineptitude of the Rams' offense.

But there was a block on the first touchdown, a trap where the TE Celek (88) came through and just blew up the linebacker. It was a thing of beauty. Absolutely pancaked the guy.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000701682/Carlos-Hyde-runs-up-the-middle-for-11-yard-TD
Yeah would agree with that, their offense needs more work and Gabbert plays well in spurts but his second half was not good when the Rams defense picked up. But if the 49ers can get in the face of Newton next week it might be a decent game.
 
I doubt the Rams can just start Goff and expect different results. Anyone who saw any of the Rams preseason games saw that Keenum clearly outplayed Goff.

I do not question at this point that Belicheck is the best coach in NFL history. If you consider things like salary caps, free agency and more, he's even better than Vince Lombardi, and I do realize that says a lot. I have to state that I was very impressed by the Patriots defense. This was as much as anything a question mark coming into this season. We all assumed that once Brady and Gronk came back, if the rest of the offense could stay reasonably healthy the Pats would be fine. But their defense put a serious clamp on the very high powered Cards offense. Yes, the amazing HOF Larry Fitzgerald made some great plays, but even with Palmer not making any real mistakes, the Pats defense kept them in the game all night. Having their offense without Brady and Gronk play so well...it just shows that right now at least, the Patriots are the best team in the league.
 
Regards to the Pats defense, I heard either a player interview or analyst comments (don't recall which) saying the Cards like to go deep fairly often and not allowing them to go deep consistently or effectively frustrates the Card offense. So the defensive game plan for the Pats was to protect against the deep ball forcing them to go underneath. Whatever it was sure worked.
 
Sometimes how we say something is heard more than what is said. Such is the case with Kap sitting down during the national anthem at the first game. As much as I don't like that Kap sat, I respect the intent and his message is a good one. The real problem with the way he tried to get his message across is that it caused divisions, when unity is what's needed. The following week, other teams figured out ways to get the same message across in a way that inspires unity.

At least the initial Kap sit-down has started a firestorm of expressions. Some good, some not so good. The most recent not so good response came when a black teen was sent home from work for wearing a #7 Kap jersey, and told he could not return until he changed out the jersey. All that because the store owner got complaints from customers about the employee wearing the SF #7 Kap jersey. People need to listen to the message, not the delivery. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/teen-sent-home-from-work-for-wearing-colin-kaepernick-jersey-elijah-scott-kroger/mt47d4i6kwqz1311da7d65jb6
 
40 most hated players of all time by SN: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-hated-players-vick-lewis-roethlisberger-tebow-owens/1imk9iv0s73i1kfv2fp7spyw9
In short summary, that list is messed up on probably a dozen counts, most not worth nit picking over. But tell me why the women beaters are not at the top of the list. And why certain convicted criminals are not even ON the list are glaring oversights. The next two are as bad as they get. Not even on that list.
- Aaron Hernandez - convicted of multiple murders
- Darren Sharper - convicted of drugging multiple women and raping them in multiple States. And this BOZO has been nominated to the HOF (http://pro32.ap.org/article/sharpers-hall-fame-nomination-causes-national-outcry)
Yet guys like Eli Manning, Tebow, and Marshawn Lynch are on the list? I know why these guys made the list, but the reasons are pretty lame.

On Lynch, he's there for the "crotch grab" TD plunge and because media did not like him answering media questions with "I'm here so I won't get fined". PPL think Marshawn is stupid from the way he talked to the media. IMO some media PPL and Roger Goodell, who drove it, had it coming. But he's far from stupid and is putting his college social degree to work in his community.

I'm telling you, while Lynch may be a bit profane, he's a good dude, is doing a lot for his Oakland community through his foundation, and has a strong message for inner city kids with intent to keep them off the wrong path's. He is passionate about that, and family, and says he's glad if he can help just one kid stay off the streets and get an education. What's to hate about all that? Get a life SportingNews.

If someone wants a glimpse of what Lynch is about you can watch him on NBC's "Running Wild with Bear Grylls" - season 3 episode 7. Here are some highlights:
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/13/12902290/nfl-video-marshawn-lynch-bear-grylls-running-wild-dread-fire
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS